1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Un-expected funny situation at a puja

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anupamakalyan, May 29, 2008.

1. anupamakalyan

anupamakalyan Senior IL'ite

Hi all wonderful people
    I always wanted to put this funny incident here ....well it goes like this

I am a palghat iyer married to a Jharkhandi(well ex Bihari)....we stay @ b'lore n the place I used to stay(the apartments) after wedding had lots n lots of TambramsBow.My husband does not understand an iota of Tamil(then now he can understand a bit of it not completely though!!) n he knows a few words in kannada coz he studied 4 few yrs here in bangalore. It happened so that 1 fine day our neighbours invited us to attend the sashta preethi programme(The annual function held just before sabarimala piligrims start their journey). This programme happens every year around Nov in our aptmts and has been happening for around 10-15 years. I some how made my husband agree to Sit in the puja and the bhajans as well after the puja when the bhajan round came in ....the ppl there started with bhajans of Lord aiyappa.... loud did the bajans go n deeper into devotion did the bhaktas go into.....you could hear "Vel Muruga Vel Muruga Vel Vel " in the whole of our neighbourhood...n suddenly my hubby jumps out of his place laughing loudly..I was surprised and all mamis eyeing me...as though it was all my mistake...n mamas looking at us with the expresion..."U know these children of this generation.....wat the h***"....I just kept my head low n walked towards my husband who was not able to control his laughter....I giv that grin"YOU!!"??...he was like...uma...Dont mind but why r we singing bhajans for muruga now n here....I was half mad by then n gave that look of "u dont respect my custums n culture eh!! how dare u"....he still laughing ...asks me...in Hindi"Arey hum well murga well muruga kyu bol rahain hai..kya ab katke bali chadayenge kya"..............I was like Uffffff......Big LaughOMG this guy happened to misunderstand Lord muruga to his Chicken in his biriyani............All my fault.I shud have told all the details b4 bringing him down for the pooja there.....I coudnt control my laughter too....n I made him understand the existance of 1 more God....n the mamis n mamas there again looking at me with the corner of their eyes agin with a slight huh!!U know these children of this generation.....

2. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

Big LaughPoor man , Wondering why everyone is raising slogan for a chicken ! Thank god, he did not think "Vel " is "whale" !Big Laugh

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Well, it was not his fault. Even I am laughing aloud now, I may do so when I hear the same bhajan elsewhere too. Oh, real situation for you!

4. Nakshatraa

Nakshatraa Silver IL'ite

Hi anupama,
    Sorry "Humko hindi nehi maalum ...Harhar" , can you pls translate....

5. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hilarious!!!!
    My mom told me of such misunderstanding.

My dad works with a bank and was posted in north in a small village near Agra. My mom did´nt know a word of hindi when she went to the village.
    Seems,the landlord of the house, used to come home in the evenings and chat with my dad. When my mom would bring tea, he would say `Murga kab khila rahe ho?` Meaning-When are you making chicken. On his subsequent visits. he would just say Murga kab??
    My mom would only understand muruga in the sentence, and thought he was a pious man.She dint even ask my dad what the sentence meant.
    Later when she came to know the real meaning, she could´nt stop laughing.

She has told me about it so many times, and yet I laugh every time she tells me.

Yamuna.

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anupama
    O.M.G. ...............hahahaahaha reading your post just can't stop laughing.
    turning God into chicken..............I think this is going to be a unforgettable incident to you. Whenever you will listen to that song you will remember murga now.................

7. anupamakalyan

s aruna

u r rigth....I have never attended sashta preethi after that...coz i will roll out in laughter n I Cant explain ppl wats ringing inside my head Big Laugh I cud only be misunderstood as a unbeliever of God!! we n laugh thr !!

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anupama
    Sorry to tell as many of our friends do not understand the chat script so Induslady has requested all of us to write the words in full. Please do not mind me tell you this till now it is ok but my dear it will be great if you write the full words as even I use to write these short forms but now have changed and try not to use them in fbs.
    instead of coz use because, u...........you
    r......are
    I am sorry if it has hurt you it is just for our other friends to follow.

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

language and their unusual episodes is something to muse about a lot, yes this muruga becomes murga in north and in the morning most times we have this conversation...good laugh u gave us here..sunkan

10. anupamakalyan

Definitely Aruna....Will abide by it!!

Cheers
    Anu!!