1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Troubled

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by parvathi1980, Jan 7, 2018.

1. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Hello everyone, I am not sure if my problem is related to my marraige or personality. I have posted some of my issues earlier but this one is tough to write about. I am a very shy person. I find it difficult to talk to people. Once I get to know you I will talk non stop and be friendly but am very awkward in social situations. Another is that maybe because of my awkwardness I am largely ignored by most people. Coming to the point I have no one to talk to. My marriage is a typical arranged one with all its issues. For the last few years my parents also have kept their distance from me by giving preference to my sister.
    I am 37 and don't know if I can change my personality now. I have made the effort to be in touch with relatives and friends. But somehow things don't work out. Eventually I am ignored. It's just a matter of time. My relatives on both sides ignore me so I have stopped trying with them.

Today after a fight with my husband I thought of joining a chat room. You know all that rubbish about living together forever after marriage is rubbish only. Whats the point if you dont have time to listen to your spouse? But hell no one listens to me. Problem here is there is no one. I think I am going nuts.

GeetaKashyap likes this.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Its ok to be an introvert provided it doesn’t bother you and you don’t look at it as a shortcoming. Seems like it does bother you , so why not try to change it? Take baby steps . next time you are in a social setting practice before hand what you are going to talk about. Join some class / volunteer just so you learn to interact with others comfortably . When you get more comfortable go for a public speaking class.
    A good way to keep in touch is by wishing people on their birthdays and festivals. If not a call, send a message so you are on their radar and not forgotten.
    But aside from all this, it’s Very Very important that you are happy and content from within. Don’t let your happiness depend on others and their acceptance of you. Accept yourself the way you are first. Maybe this will stop the feeling of being ignored by parents and the spouse. Work on your self esteem , will help you in every sphere of life.

Please take care !!

3. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I was also like that before marriage. Now improved on it but still not much outspoken just show my presence with little wishes with smiles. Due to living in joint family I had to speak up to many people that changed me to some extent. I think when you talk to more people and take advantage of every chance you get can only help. If you live alone you can invite someone to your place or go to someone from your relatives and friends so that you can get more chance to come out. Regular meetings and conversation can make you improve a lot.

Sandycandy and parvathi1980 like this.
  4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, don't worry. We are here to listen.

I am also an introvert. It is perfectly fine. If you can be happy in your own world ,all these issues will not affect you much.

First of all, accept yourself. Stop depending on others for your happiness. One problem is most introverts are very sensitive and need emotional assurance . They need lot of "me time". So instead of searching for solutions outside try to focus on you. You have to be happy and comfortable with yourself. Only then the behaviour of other people, stop bothering you.

You don't need many in this world to survive. No one can help you beyond a limit. So try to help yourself. Lower your expectations from everyone. Your relatives or friends are busy in their own world. It is not there fault that they are not spending time for you. It is also not your fault.

Look like you don't have any close friends to talk to you. If you have anyone talk to them once in a while. It is possible to improve our social skills to some extent, but it is not that possible to change introvert nature..one issue I noticed is that often we don't know what to talk or how to communicate well. Just observe your favourite people,see how they start conversation, their body language, positive outlook. Observe and implement.

Be comfortable with yourself. Try to dress in elegant way when you go out. Practice a good posture and body language. There are lot of youtube videos and information on internet on this topic.

Try to smile and greet people. Be pleasant . Go out of your home to participate in social and volunteer activities or you can even try any classes. Try to mingle with more people. See the tips from other ilites.

Have you watched sreedevi movie 'English vinglish'? Like that any age is good enough to learn new skills. Suppose you are in a foreign land all alone. What you will do. You will shed your inhibitions and start minimum communication because that is needed for survival. Same way try to come out of your comfort zone. You can do it.

Be confident. If not, work on your self esteem. Try to create a world for you , be busy and active. Don't depend on your dh too much for your happiness. If you have anything important , ask him when he can be available. That time go and talk to him in calm and composed way.
    Take care

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  5. parvathi1980

Thank you friends for your replies! I read books. Tried to meet up a few friends in the colony. But I just couldn't fit in. The kitty party sort of thing does not appeal to me. Most of the days I am happy with the way I am but sometimes I feel terrible. I have good communication skills. I dress smart. No issues there. But somehow people don't like me. I am not paranoid. I am excluded from wedding invitations...conversations...even if I participate. I am on all possible WhatsApp groups but am an unacknowledged presence. Even if I try to participate I have been pointedly ignored. So frequently that I became a little rude. I felt so hurt. It was unprovoked mean behaviour. Sometimes I feel I give negative vibes or something. I just need a support system from my family. I don't have that. It is such a big void. I am not close to anyone. Not my parents or sister. I can't share anything with them. Not with my husband also as he is married to his phone and devoted to god knows what. I am seriously considering joining a chat room but they are not safe places. I read to distract myself but the need to be close to another human being is only growing. And as I try people keep pushing me away.

shri0218 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, what is the point in going after people who don't care or with whom you are not comfortable with. Those who are destined to be in your life will be there for you. It is better to be around positive people.

I don't how healthy chat rooms are. It can became positive or negative. May be spending some time here in IL will be better.

Also please check the way you talk or communicate. Sometimes even if we think in right and positive way, it can come out in not so welcoming way. How to communicate is important. But it is equally important in what way one communicate it - do a self check on your tone of speaking, selection of words, how we deliver it... our body language, face expression etc..
    I always focus on the content, not on how it is communicated. I soon realised that is an issue and I am still trying to improve it.
    Be positive.

7. parvathi1980

Yes you are right. I don't sugarcoat anything. But I never make personal attacks on anyone. I don't know about body language. I am not rude or at least I don't think I am. But somehow I think skills other than being nice are required in social settings. I left all those groups where I was treated badly. Recently I don't know why they added me back. I have been more stressed out since. It is not a nice feeling to know that you are not needed. And I am pretty sure I am not.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  8. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Show your presence start some new topic tell little things from your life that made you laugh tell them about your taste related to dresses or places to visit. Give favour when needed. Invite them entertain them and try to get involved instead of sitting idle and thinking like that.

parvathi1980 likes this.
  9. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

Whether it is in WhatsApp or in real life, you have to make your presence acknowledgeable.

parvathi1980 likes this.
  10. Sweetgirl123

Sweetgirl123 Silver IL'ite

Instead of chat rooms I would suggest learning or teaching another language online, that gives you communication with others but also a new skill.

GeetaKashyap and parvathi1980 like this.