1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Transition

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Saturday, August 24, 2019

10 patients all of them in one wing while the other was completely empty - 2 deaths - 5 arrivals in the last 24 hours - 1 died soon after arrival to the Hospice - 1 imminent patient . 3 patients in their 90s, 3 in their 80s and 3 in their 60s and 1 patient in early 40s suffering from Pancreatic cancer. There was no request to sit with any patient during this session. However, the volunteer who worked in the previous shift told me that she met 40+ year old patient and when she inquired about him, he responded, "I am happy and all set to go. I realize the value of every day in my life now better than the days before the diagnosis". I controlled my emotions and thought perhaps when I am healthier I should appreciate every second in my life and love everyone around me when I have the chance. I wondered how this gentleman overcame the fear of death and what process he went through to be that prepared.

I am being 65 years old, I am able to appreciate the gift of life when I see patients below my age. This volunteering experience makes me feel humbled every day and teaches me more than the rest of my life.

startinganew and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. jayasala42

jayasala42 Finest Post Winner

I was eagerly expecting your mail.It is so nice of you Viswa, to have shared your Hospice experience and the experience to distribute meals and the difficulties you had in locating the addresses.
    It is a great service indeed to help people in safe transition.
    jayasala42

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Census Data: 12 patients - 9 deaths in the last 24 hours - 1 MRSA patient in the ward - 2 new admissions during our shift - A new co-volunteer who was 83 years old volunteered with me and I couldn't stop admiring her enthusiasm to volunteer and be active through out the shift. She spent some time with me explaining how the US was in 1950s and I learned so much from her. The patients were stable and even nurses were not as busy as they used to be. We went and asked the nurses whether any patient needs attention and we were told no patient was imminent. A lady priest came in to provide spiritual counseling to a few patients and spent nearly an hour and 30 minutes meeting many patients.

I was wondering whether to ask her permission to sit with her to listen what is being performed in those spiritual sessions but realized that it is confidential and hence decided against it. Two cute children came to visit a grandmother patient and left their tablets and before our shift ended, their mom called and retrieved those tablets.

My co-volunteer asked me whether I attended a particular volunteer's felicitation event. I asked her what was so special about her. She explained that this volunteer is 106 years old and has no stick to walk nor she needed a glass to wear for better vision. She is a Reiki volunteer and enjoys volunteering. Recently, she also obtained a driver's license so that she could come on her own to the Hospice. She is respected as the best volunteer to calm any patient down through her wonderful Reiki skills. Someday, I would like to go through that training to learn how it is done.

Regarding meals distribution volunteering, since I have requested for a different route, they didn't give me any assignment this week. Hopefully, I will be back at work next Friday.

Viswa

4. Viswamitra

September 7th, 2019

Census Data: 18 patients admitted - 6 new admission - 3 new admission during our shift - 8 deaths in the last 24 hours.

The volunteer who was on vacation is back again. No imminent patient during this shift. But we had an interesting conversation with a spiritual counselor about what she does and how she gives comfort to the patients in the Hospice. There was one patient whose age is 42. We gave cookies and coffee to the paramedics who brought the patients into the Hospice. Sometimes, they work hours and hours without eating anything.

Lillie, the puppy who is a pet volunteer accompanying another volunteer (in the earlier shift) wasn't feeling well and she was lying down in her stroller when we joined duty. I tried my best to draw her attention but she went back to sleep. Obviously, she wasn't feeling well.

5. Viswamitra

September 14, 2019

Census Data: 16 patients - 3 deaths in the last 24 hours - 3 admissions in the last 24 hours - No admission during my duty time. The summary sheet had one of the patients marked as HIPAA with no details when the detailed sheet had all the information. This is the first time I noticed that the name is withheld for a patient. Out of 16 patients, 14 of them are into 60s, 70s and 80s except 2. One patient was 42 years old and another 103.

After two consecutive weeks, it is satisfying to see the number of deaths in the Hospice was less this week. Perhaps, the patients are in early stage of terminal illness. This is also the first time I came to know that one of the patients is suffering from tongue cancer.

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 Finest Post Winner

One senior lady officer of the bank had tongue cancer.She had problem in talking for sometime.She underwent some surgery.She lost all the sense of taste and hence no appetite. After some Chemo therapy sessions she regained her speech but the taste buds have not started functioning. She says that she has to spend nearly rupees three lakhs per year.After nine long years I met her yesterday. She looks alright now. We do not know what strange illness we have to come into contact .
    jayasala42