1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler Lunch Box Question

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by snehalJoshi, Mar 1, 2017.

1. snehalJoshi

snehalJoshi Silver IL'ite

hello ILs,

I have a question:

How do you make sure your kid's lunch-box/tiffin-box does not get spoilt when the weather is hot?
    I usually give rice and sambar to my kiddo for lunch. Sometime if my kid does not eat it completely and bring home in the evening, I see that the left-over rice is all spoilt.

I cook the food at night , pack it and refrigerate it and then give it to my kid in the morning.

How can I make sure 2 things :

1. The food does not get spoilt
    2. Kid gets warm food to eat

2. Rukmini78

Rukmini78 New IL'ite

Hi,

If the problem is leftover food is getting spoilt, that cannot be avoided as half eaten food would have bacteria from the saliva and it will spoil it because the weather is hot. You can pack smaller portions in different containers and give them. Even more to prevent spoilage make sure u mix the food with a bit of ghee and be sure to heat up the food well in a different contianer and then pack it. If you want the food to be warm, I suggest you buy those thermostat lunch bags that are available in Amazon online. Make sure while packing the food you do not come in contact with food with bare hands. Try avoiding recipes with coconut and potato as they aid in spoilage.

Good luck.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Amazon.com: THERMOS FOOGO Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel 10-Ounce Food Jar, Charcoal/Teal: Baby

I have used this kind of thermos for many years. It is mostly rice and sambhar, or rice and a sabji. Rice and other food is stored separately in the fridge. In the morning, I or kid put the rice and sambhar in a plate and warm up in the microwave really hot, then mix, again warm to really hot, and immediately put it in the thermos with a spoon and close the thermos. When I had the time, I used to warm up the thermos with hot water inside it first for a few minutes, pour out the water and then put the sambhar rice in it.

Kid says it stays warm enough. Lunch time is about 4 or 4.5 hrs after I pack the lunch. By the time the thermos is opened in the evening around 6 pm or later, it is a bit or very stinky if any food is left over.

With these thermos, the lid's gasket needs to be removed and hand-washed regularly. Or it gets really yucky. Regularly, the entire thermos and lid are dishwasher safe.

Cantdecide likes this.
  4. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Yah by the time they are back from school it def would get spolit!
    but.. Do you give them rice + sambhar everyday?? Sambhar you must be adding veggies like peas which spoil quick/and toor dal also get spoiled easily and is gas forming....

I think you can give them roti wraps (fried aloo wrapped in parathas?), add some ghee/oil in curries and add rotis/parathas..can you spend 30 min in the morning for preparing their lunch fresh? sorry I dont know about your work and home situation..but it would be best to give them lunch prepared in the morning rather than in night...
    google easy to cook healthy quick dishes for kids lunch boxes, maybe you can prepare most of the lunch in the night except just the cooking part, like making idlis hardly needs kitchen presence...

roti wraps with any fried veggie (aloo, aloogobhi, cabbage etc), fried idlies or idli dhoklas, puri-sabjis etc..

for kids to eat warm food, invest in good quality insulated lunch boxes, I am not sure they should heat the food in microwave, if they have access to it in school....

5. snehalJoshi

thank you ladies for all the information.
    I will try to avoid coconut,potato and also see if I can use the thermostat box.
    When i spoke to an american lady she suggested me to use cold-packs. i dont know what it is.

I wish I could prepare more variety for my kid but my kid ONLY eats rice and sambar (that too only when very hungry). Does not eat idli or dosa or paratha or sandwich or any fermented food even at home, even when freshly served. Too picky :( Not sure what I can do to change kiddo's appetite. Grandmom's also tried cooking and serving but failed. :( Eats only when TV is ON. Anyway this is altogether a different story.

6. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Oh I didnt know you had pickey eater, I also didnt know you are in US, so in US schools, there is no microwave to heat the lunch? ice packs are easily available in walmart, you just put them in lunchbox to keep them from spoiling....try if you like any rachel ray school lunch box:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/38252090...75035&wl11=online&wl12=38252090&wl13=&veh=sem

does your kid eat fritters? veggie fritters would be nice with tomato ketchup...try for your kid to eat variety of foods esp in holidays or weekend, try actively on working your kid to eat different texture and variety foods....it is also imp for the kids to have balanced meal, else they will be deficient in imp and vital nutrients...

good luck :)

7. snehalJoshi

[
    Thank You for ICE PACK idea and Rachel Ray lunch box.
    My kiddo is not going to a school but to a home daycare where food is not provided so I give lunch-box, snack-box, etc.

Thank you for that fritters idea. I will google more.
    I am new to this and don't know a lot of stuff here.