1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

toddler food ideas- for extra picky fussy eater!

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Pooh,welcome to the world of independent toddlers :)) Mine is one, he would eat ONLY on his own, v.v.v.rare feeding food is allowed. That too, only his sis can feed him, imagine!

1. So all rice items - we got to make balls, give them in a plate, 4-5at a time, by the time he finishes one plate, we load another color plate and give him.
    2. Chapathis/theplas/parathas - they are the only way out, i fo dhal+cheese gratings+atta+milk for chapathis, he eats 2 on his own. He likes palak paneer gravy, to dip n eat.
    3. Dosas - I make dosas out of wheat/ragi/oats/bajra - add grated cheese, puree/grated veggies and dhals into it.
    4. Adai - all dhal mix version of dosa, i add cheese in this too. Mine likes to dip this in tomato sauce :))
    5. Pasta - he loves picking it and eating, but i havent hit the right combo yet, am sure by the time i hit some nice combo for him, he will change his preferences:hide::bonk
    6. Noodles/vermicelli - he plays with them, he wont take them n eat.
    7. Sweet pongal balls - we make sweet pongal with 1/3C moong dhal+1/2C rice+1/2C Jaggery syrup. We make it thick, make balls, he loves them. This is another way of getting dhal into his diet.

There are days when he survives with just fruits and finger foods.:bonk

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

vishalini,

how good of your LO. Mine says I have to feed him. He can very well eat by himself. He eats at creche, but will not eat at home. He used to, but not now-a-days.

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

Pon, yeah true. she loves eating ONLY on her own, however lunch she does eat when the maid feeds her! but in the evening she throws tantrums when mommy or papa try to feed :(
    so Lunch is always some kind of broken wheat preparation/spinach rice/curd rice
    dinner is Pasta,hakka noodles, paneer patties,chicken patties,fish fry,parathas.veggie toast sandwich,paneer sandwich

for pasta these days i am giving her butter sauteed pasta- overboil pasta till soft(shell or elbow)with salt and a drop or two of oil
    take a pan, add a spoonful of butter, saute all veggies. add 2 tiny pinches of dry herbs, add the pasta, lil salt and pepper, grate some cheese and serve :)

4. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Poonam,
    You have an independant child, love her independance at such a tender age.
    Moreover I could see lot of Nonveg items in her menu. I am not sure kids at this age will eat them because I am pure veg. May be she got bored of NV. Moreover kids need variety of dishes.
    Kids at this age needs smooth stuff to swallow easily. Try Kichidi for her contains rice+carrot+moongdal/toordal with tadka and add ghee to it. It should be too soft and little watery to swallow easily. You can also try venpongal.

Sooji upma is also a good stuff for kids.

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Pooh,

I'm no geek to answer this query... you know why... :)
    But good to know that Z is eating on her own.Food strikes are very hard...on us than on LO's.
    Manu is now doing ok after her tummy problem with banned drug.Just now eating like a 10 month old....LOL.. but im happy.

Pooh, hope im not hijacking this thread. I have few concerns with fussy eating too.. so thout of asking here.

Girls, please suggest:

1. Manu is not interested in drinking liquids at all. She takes only water from her sippy cup. No juice/milk nothing... How to make her interested in taking liquids?

2.Will flavored milk or peadiasure like stuff help?

3.She already has 6 teeth..so doesn't take bottle anymore. Which sippy cup to use for milk?

6. PRIYAJI

PRIYAJI Bronze IL'ite

The problems seems to be that you have introduced all kinds of foods very early. Try not to give a lot of variety. Or she will be bored with everything on the menu soon. So have 2-3 items for breakfast and repeat alternatively for sometime. Then suddenly one day introduce a new one. This way they wont be very fuzzy.

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

priyaji, i am sorry i will have to disagree, fussy eating doesnt necessarily arise out of too many options given too early, its just that they are being toddlers :)
    and i am a full time working mom, to think and plan for the whole wk is difficult.

btw girls, she is happy eating foods that she can on her own, so we are letting it be that way. my little girl is just growing up i guess :)

8. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

My daughter also loves to be independent (in not just eating, but almost everything she wants to do on her own). Any ideas on indian vegetarian food that I can make for her which she can eat on her own? I am a full-time working mom too, and because of my work schedule sometimes it gets difficult to feed her.

9. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Pooh, exactly, we have hit that stage, i know what it is, so see that 'accomplishment', 'proud' look in toddlers, after they eat on their own!!! Did you see that in Zoey?? Yayyy for her and momma!
    Today DD wanted rice sevai, with scrambled eggs and veggies in it, i was too sick today to cook another meal for DS, i gave that sevai in a bowl to him, after trying out with hands/spoons/fork, the bowl came flying to me straight:hide: he was super hungry, he cudnt eat it on his own. THankfully i had some paratha dough in fridge, made that quickly and escaped :bonk

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Girls, please suggest:

1. Manu is not interested in drinking liquids at all. She takes only water from her sippy cup. No juice/milk nothing... How to make her interested in taking liquids?

2.Will flavored milk or peadiasure like stuff help?

3.She already has 6 teeth..so doesn't take bottle anymore. Which sippy cup to use for milk?

Girls please take time to look at my queries.I'm waiting.