1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler and preschooler foods

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Ami, Dec 24, 2005.

1. svm33m

svm33m New IL'ite

Hi

Hi Sonu,

Yeah u r so right, my baby also doesnt like sugar. For example, i made carrot kheer the other day and she didnt like it. ON the other hand she eats banana apple little bit. I gave her smoothie today bought from the store and she liked it. I dont have hand blender sonu, so can i blend it in mixie. Please let me know. One more thing, yesterday i made the ragi kanji thick today i made it thin and she took it and i added only 1 tablespoon of kanji powder with water and little milk and sugar. it tasted good for me.

Thanks,
    Rukmani.

2. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rukmani,

Ya u can use mixer but u will feel too bore to clean it all the time n will feel messy.Ya really bcz we give food to babies 4 to 5 times in day, and every time u have to remove ur mixer n blend the food n wash that vessel u will feel too bored.Thats y i brought braun hand blender that is too easy to use for baby food.bcz baby foods are always in small quantity n in mixer it doesnt grind properly.U better try n see if ur mixer grind smootly then no problem using it.

see i told u babies dont like sweet taste.my baby never ate that ragi thing or any kheer.but she loves upmas and sabudana khicadi.salty n chatpata thgs are her favourites.she takes potatoes chips only with 4 teeths( ya she slow in teething) but in sweet thing i m not able to feed her 1 spoon also.

keep it up.good try.
    sonu

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  3. svm33m

svm33m New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Can you share with me what fruits you give your babies and in what form? I give my 14.5 month old baby banana mostly, apple (sometimes in small slice).

Thanks,
    Rukmani.

4. Karthiga

Karthiga Bronze IL'ite

introduce all fruits

hello rukmani,
    I came across ur post about giving fruits to children. I too have a kid and i try all fruits for him. Since teething has started u can give fruits in small slices or its better to give fresh fruit juices [apple, orange, pomegranate, carrot]. For better tastes u may add milk and some palm sugar. Try out this for ur child and all the bests.
    regards
    karthiga.

5. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Toddler and pre-schooler foods

hi
    iam loooking for the suggestions for the preperation of food for my 18 mth old baby.basically being a veg south indian v r now at singapore.away frm the family and with the first kid i feel it difficult with no ideas ,n now she is got the cold with cough n fever kindly do advice me in this matter n also how 2 reduce the phelgm in kids.pls do also suggest me of how 2 maintain the feeding time table for her.
    thank u all in advance.

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

re: Toddler and pre-schooler foods

Hi Babyraji,

Welcome to this community. Taking care of a baby that too for a first time Mom it will seem difficult, but remember you will enjoy seeing your baby grow.

Check the below link...few of our members have already shared wonderful ideas for baby foods and baby care.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/parenting-and-kids/1305-baby-care.html

Happy parenting!

7. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

hi
    thank u for the reply .it really helped me a lot. but anybody there pls let me know of how 2 stop the phelgm problem in kids as i feel tht is the root cause of all the diseases in kids.n one more doubt i want 2 clarify is wether the kids shld b fed the normal food wht elders eat or is it gd if v feed them seperately as some of them opine tht kids shuldnt b fed moore with food.ilites pls do clarify me on this.i wuld like 2 start a thread thru this.
    thank u all in adv.

8. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi raji,

Toddler foods:

1)Rice :
    Dry roast the raw rice+moongdal.Cool and coarse grind it like(texture should like broken rice or cracked wheat).Now dry roast 4tsp of ajwain seeds and 4tsp of cumin seeds and store them in another airtight container..

cooking procedure for this rice :wash the 2tbsp of rice+moongdal mixture and pressure cook along with 1/4tsp of ajwain+cumin mixture+water+washed and cleaned vegetables likegrated carrot,chopped spinach,green beans,green peas,amaranth leaves etc ..whatever vegetables available at home..

Once the rice with veggies is cooked..prepare plain rasam or carrot-tomato rasam and mash it well and serve with ghee ..or grind the cooked rice-veggie mix with 3-4tbsp or more of rasam to smooth paste and serve them..

2). microwave 1/2cup green frozen or fresh green peas with 3tbspoons of water and 1/4tsp of sugar or a pinch of salt for 3minutes and mash it and serve.

3).In rasam u can add veggies like carrot,tomato,brinjals(eggplants),okra,bottlegourd,raisins(which r rich in iron) and make like a soup.

4).Pressure cook carrot and raisins with little bit milk and mash it to make a thick pulp and serve baby.

5).Add milk to wheat flour and make chapathis,instead of using water to make chapathi dough.And after making chapathis,apply ghee to it and soak in rasam or sambar and serve.

6).In a spoon of ghee roast the veggies like grated carrot,peas,finely chopped green beans and add water ,salt and bring to a boil and add rice rawa or wheat rawa and cook till done and let it cool..Now make it like balls or desired shapes with cookie cutter and steam cook in idli cooker or cooker without whistles for 10minutes and serve..They would like to have them like finger foods. This is also lunch box recipe for school going kids too!

7).you can make milk shake by grinding the cooked grated carrot+milk +nuts(peeled almonds,cashews,pista) mixture with raisins with little sugar and feed.

8).Microwave or steam cook the brocoli crowns with little bit salt and serve..which is rich in calcium.

9).Prepare lemon rice adding grated carrot, and serve if ur baby likes it..My son is fond of puliyogre,lemon rice etc..so i make lemon rice adding veggies to it.

10).Mix veggies like green beans,carrot,peas etc with idli batter and steam those idlis and serve with rasam or sambar or curd.

Remedies for vomitings(smaller vomits),phelm : Wash and soak cumin seeds in pumped breast milk for 1/2 an hour to 1hour and feed them..So that it would come down.if any phelm there,it would subside.

Hope this helps,u..This is what i remember currently.Once i get to know more recipes or remember anything more,i would surely post them..
    -Cheers,
    Vaishu

9. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

hi vaishu,
    thank u for ur receipes,i hav already started it frm 2day,i wuld b really gratefulif u do remember n send some more of home remedies for treating phelgm with the kids.as i hav seen this is the most common problem with the kids in singapore.waiting for ur reply.
    thanks
    bye
    raji

10. anu9

anu9 New IL'ite

hi raji,

even i have a 13 month old daughter. i would like to share few things with u.

i used to boil one spoon of puzungal arisi + 3 spoons of moong dal along with

half potato, one carrot,cabbage leaves ,5 beans ,one garlic and a piece of onion

and grind it in a blender and feed her daily.

since ur kid is bit old u can make a curry kind of thing with these vegetables make a paste consistancy with ghee and give it along with rasam rice or curd rice. make sure u give more of veg than rice.

i think she doesnt like egg. so i beat one egg along with little atta and half banana and add sugar make a dosa consistancy and with a ghee i used to give small small dosas which she loves.

i am a pureeeeeeee veg and not used to eggs. but many people including doctors advise me to give her egg so i bought organic egg and tried this which is working out fine.

so just give a try.

thx
    anu