1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Times When You Want To Just Vanish

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SCSusila, Jul 18, 2017.

1. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

There are so many incidents in life when we are embarrassed to a great degree and we just wish we can vanish from that scene.

My husband is a good man and reasonable most of the time . But sometimes ( sometimes only ! ) , I dont know what gets into him , but he will say or do something very sillly and put me in a bad light . This happens especially when we are with his relatives only !

I will tell you two incidents here .
    He is not a fussy eater and will not complain about my cooking . Early in our marriage I had , by observing , understood he does not like brinjal , so I dont cook it much . Even sometimes when I make it , he will avoid it .

Then once we went to his cousin sister's house for lunch . And she had made the Brinjal masala curry . And this man went ooh , aah ! Like brinjal is something exotic ! On top of that he commented loudly " what a wonderful treat ! How delicious ! Susila never makes it , I think she does not know how to . Susila , why dont you learn this great recipe from Akka , see how much we are missing ! "

And the lady says " Ayyo , Susila ! Such a easy dish and you cant make ? "

I meekly said he does not like brinjal and immediately he said " What ? When did I say I dont like ? I love it ! " and made it sound like I was lying .

I wanted to vanish .

Back home , I asked him angrily why he refuses to eat the brinjal I make , but swallow the whole pot of it in their house . His answer was : " I wanted to be nice to Akka . But you dont start cooking it everyday now ! "

Another incident . ( before Mobile phone age ) He hates to take phone calls when he is having afternoon naps . So he will instruct me to receive any calls and tell them he is out . But sometimes , just when I am finishing such a call, he will snatch the phone and tell them : " i am very much here only . My wife sometimes gets distracted and doesnt notice ... hehehehe! ....."

And the next time I meet that caller , that person will laugh and say " what Susila ! You dont want people to chat with your husband ! Possessive wife ! "

I will want to vanish then.

2. anupama1

anupama1 Platinum IL'ite

We had invited my MIL's friend with family in the evening for a ceremony (the DIL was pregnant so my MIL being a close friend wanted to do the usal formalities that are done during such occasions). We stayed away from the city hence, I made sure all the required items for the ritual and also necessary items for food were stocked a day prior. A friend of my FIL happened to drop by on the same day with his wife and grand son to our house on the same day in the morning, when they came to know about the evening guests they were polite enough and said they would leave by afternoon.
    After lunch when both the elder couples were chitchatting, I went to make preparations for the evening. I arranged the saree, gifts, flowers,fruits sweets etc to be given to the pregnant DIL.Meanwhile the little boy(grandson of the couple) started crying and both of them tried to console him but in vain. My FIL asked what the boy wanted, the GM said it was nothing, but as the boy continued to cry asking for something the GF told it was a box of kaju barfi he saw in the kitchen.
    My MIL and me exchanged glances ( a sealed box was for the pregnant girl as it was her favarite dish, my MIL had made it sure that I bought it as I said we stayed away from the city).My MIL was quick enough to catch the situation and said 'Aree beta the box is empty, we had bought it some days back and had not thrown away the box'.I gave a sigh of relief as my MIL had told her friend that she was giving a box of kajubarfi to the pregnant girl. The GM, GF of the boy and my FIL said to me 'Beti just give him the empty box, let him play and be quite'
    I was :facepalm: !!!!!!!!!!!!

3. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Sorry to say OP,your husband sure seems to be putting you in bad light unnecessarily.Can understand how irritating it would be.

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

So finally who got it?? :D

5. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

He has no intention to be mean or put me in difficulty . But sometimes , does something silly and thoughtless . Thats all !

Rihana likes this.
  6. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

@anupama1

I can imagine the situation ! So embarassing !
    So who got the sweets finally ? The little boy or the pregnant lady ?

7. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Could be an old habit. Some people has the habit to put others down when praising others, and some don't even realize.

So this maybe just a way for him to praise others or make them feel special / important and may not even realize that he's putting u down or making you look like a liar or even think of this as a big deal.

He may think, "I need to show my akka that I am more nicer to her or make her feel special" as it's "My wife only no, she isn't gona feel about all this".

Since you have been dealing with this for long (as you mentioned "before mobile phone age"), have you already found a way to deal with it or has your relatives and friends understood your characters or have you come up with any funny revenge?

Sandycandy, SCSusila and sindmani like this.
  8. anupama1

anupama1 Platinum IL'ite

@ashneys and@SCSusila
    Dont ask me what happened later........
    When my MIL and I started looking at each other my FIL got up and took the box to pacify the crying boy and said in surprised tone
    'Aare there are burfis in it!':)
    My MIL said' Aare there are burfis in it!:imp:
    I said 'Aare there are burfis in it!':confundio1:
    The boy said' Aare there are burfis in it!':yum:
    All in different tones.
    The result was
    i) The boy got the sweet box and stopped crying.
    ii) FIL couldn't decipher the cold stare he got from my MIL.
    iii)The grandparents of the boy thought of us as a pair of mean ladies who were not ready to spare some sweets.
    iv) I had to go to the city to buy kaju barfi :tired:

9. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Oh my god , what a lot of drama , anupama ! Hahaha !

10. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

@ashneys
    What you say is true. Such people dont realise what they are speaking sometimes they just get carried away .

Yes, i am no longer young and nearing Senior Citizen age l and understand my husbands occassional silly behaviour . And try not to mind it very much . I dont know what the relatives know or dont know about me . There are still times when something new will come up and , if I am in low mood , i get upset . Otherwise , i forget it .

Rihana and Sandycandy like this.