1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Time To Feel Grateful

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 26, 2017.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    Today my hubby went to see the doctor for the review and had encouraging report.
    Thanks a lot for your concern and for the prayers for his excellent health.
    Thanks for your good wishes on the eve of the new year.
    "Once bitten twice shy," now we will be more careful.
    My heartfelt wishes for your good health and happiness.
    PS

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@SCSusila
    That is indeed a beautiful response from you.
    Very well articulated! I am a member of the fraternity of Freemasons, a worldwide organisation. At the end of each meeting we offer a toast as follows:
    "To all poor and distressed brethren,
    Wheresoever they may be,
    On the face Earth and Water.
    A speedy relief from their suffering,
    And a safe return to their native land, If they so desire."
    The idea behind this is that the sufferings of distressed people should always be in our mind particularly when we are joyful and well cared for.
    Last night I was reading about Dr.David Livingston. He landed in the wilderness of Africa to spread his Faith but he converted just one African to Christianity. He spent the remaining years taking upon himself the task of improving the quality of lives of the natives until his death there. There have been many like him, both believers and non believers, who spent all their life in making life better for humanity.
    My best wishes for a glorious New Year!
    Sri

SCSusila likes this.
  3. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Thank you .
    The Freemasons prayer reflects the sentiments in this shloka , which though not specific to only the poor and suffering , wishes peace and happiness for all .
    Sarve bhavantu sukinaha
    Sarve santu niramaya
    Sarve bhadrani pashyantu
    Ma kaschid dukha bagbavet .

It is said that among African tribes , all prayers and blessings are for the entire community and there was nothing called a personal prayerbecause of the strong rooted conviction ( Or religion related belief ) that only if the community is well, the individual will be well. The community ( or tribe) was The Entity that mattered , individuals were merely parts .

Cheeniya likes this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Many years ago, in my early twenties, I attended an interview that had cascading rounds. Round one, round two, round three, round next. The following week I was sent “REJECTED” note with reason “She does not fit in our organisation”. Fit?! I am only five-foot and fifty-kilo something and does fit in their organisation. How $*#%! Mind you, I was too juvenile back then that a rejection was a very shameful indictment. They rejected me... me .. me, that me is a nobody in reality though I had the self-aggrandised image of a skilled worker back then.

The next month, after I recovered from my unbearable shame that a coveted firm rejected a pompous nobody, I set out to attend another interview. As I would have no other way, I ranked all the way up and clinched the offer. I was sent a memo: “ACCEPTED, but must be trained to fit in the company.” Fit ?! Again fit?

I don’t know how my life would have been had I been offered a career in the first company. But looking back now, I dread to think what my life would have been had I not been offered a chance in the second company for they really demonstrated how to remediate a ‘passable fit’ into a ‘competent fit’ for the job at hand.

That’s one reason I have great fondness for the companies and colleagues I worked with. Their “fit” screening though non-transparent is highly reasonable. You are recruited in places that can indulge your obnoxious charm. Rest cannot lay open to such fearsome prattle. However, having Dalai Lama by the side would have precluded lot of anxiety and confusion back then.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Iravati,

Isn't it interesting to know that the recruiting process is more focused on fitness of the individual to work among other colleagues as opposed to the individual characteristics? I know team work is important but at the same time, if the organization needs to grow, it needs people with different skills and different style of functioning. Otherwise, the staff will be bunch of followers with no one questioning the decisions. Unfortunately, in an organization, everyone gives importance to what the immediate superior had to say about a person as he or she was going to work directly for him/her. Frankly, the second company's approach shows their confidence in building a team of people who can think independently.

Viswa

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

The “fit” was more to align with the engagement rather than the ethos of the workplace. I would never have survived in staid groups. I like a combination of fun, wit, sarcasm and language at work. They trained me to fit in the said skills.

Following that, I never worrked in buttoned-up and starchy groups. I prefer goofy and playful crowd (even at work). I don’t know how to send an ingratiating or formal mail.

That fit was to train me in composing assertive and playful emails. Emails are a big part of my work. The flow never halts. I love the sounds (music references) and sights (television tropes) in those interactive in-group emails. You know how I write in IL, I am pretty consistent with the same tone in my personal and work correspondence.

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My maternal uncle once told that nothing motivated a person more than a 'rejection'. Having faced quite a few of them in my life, I tend to agree with him. I know from my personal experience that one should be clever enough to explain his rejection. I was googling for 'How to handle your rejection?' and I got back 131 million pages of results! So I came to the conclusion that your success depended on how you handled your rejection.
    I had read that Michelangelo was stuck to the ceiling like lizard in meditation for four years to complete his painting in the Sistine Chapel. If that was the kind of pain one had to go through to escape rejection, I would not mind facing rejections in my life.
    @Iravati