1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things to take to Valaikappu & Seemantham in the US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by latha_sasi, Sep 27, 2008.

1. latha_sasi

latha_sasi Silver IL'ite

Dear ILites,
    I would like to share here the preparations I made for Valaikappu, and Semantham Functions of my daughter Subha in US(march 2008) and subsequently for the Delivery of my grand daughter Baby Maany(may 2008).Hope this will be useful for prospective travellers!
    The Function was scheduled to take place on 23rd March at my sister's place in Baltimore(about one and half hrs drive from Philly) and I landed in Philly along with my husband and mother on 17th evening with a whole lot of stuff for the same.At the outset my sister found out from the Vadhiyar the list of items needed from India.They were the following:
    1.Sandal powder
    2.Kumkum
    3.Navadhanyam
    4.Navagraha vasthram
    5.Allam Mottu
    6.Mullampandri Stick
    7.Mookupizhiyum Vastram(red pattu/chinnalam pattu blouse bit or saree).
    The other items for the puja were available there.
    In addition I had bought two artificial flower garlands for the mapillai and penn to be worn on that day.Also got Veshti for Vadhiyar as well.

To be contd.............

Latha Sasidharan
    :wave

sindmani, knbg and dailyeco like this.

2. latha_sasi

latha_sasi Silver IL'ite

Re: Preps for people going to US

Dear ILites,
    Next was the items to be taken for the couple.New saree with blouse ,veshti and shirt for the couple.Bangles for the Vallaikappu consisted of Veppillai kappu(which we took from chennai and made by my mother)gold kappu,silver kappu,glass bangles and ofcourse your gift for your daughter...gold bangles,gemstone bangles or bracelets.Instead of glass bangles which are very fragile and risky to carry, my mother suggested that I take only half a dozen of them and rest were metal bangles...which were light,easy to handle and pack .These come in different hues and designs and looks very much like glass.You get a wonderful collection in Bangle stores in Mada street ,Mylapore .The custom is to adorn even number of bangles in one hand and odd number in another hand for the girl and the same number for the girl on marumanai as well.
    We had invited about 30 people for the function..relatives as well as friends.So for their thambulam I had taken the thambulam bags..the viscose ones which are very light to carry and comes in bright colours,manjal,kumkum packets and instead of blouse bits i bought carnatic music cds ...which I thought everyone would enjoy.I also gave 3 pairs of metal bangles ...which proved to be a big hit.

To be contd.......

Latha Sasidharan

sindmani and knbg like this.
  3. latha_sasi

latha_sasi Silver IL'ite

Preps for people going to US contd.....

Dear ILites,
    Had to take a break due to Navarathri.....
    Now about vallaikappu.First the girl is given some sweet,pongal chutney and vadam to eat.Then she is made to sit in a chair.Sandal paste,kumkum is given and a flower garland (fresh or artificial) is put around her neck.Then is the Vallai adukkum function.The girl's athai puts the vepillai kappu first,then the gold ,silver kappu and afterwards the rest of the bangles.The same is done to the person on the marumanai as well...Afterwards songs are sung by the guests and everybody gives gifts to the girl.Bangles are distributed to all the ladies and they are all given vetrillai pakku and are asked to bless the girl.

will cont......
    Latha Sasidharan

sindmani likes this.
  4. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi latha sasi,

the following r the things that my mom brought with her for my valaikaapu and seemantham.

one pattu saree and blouse
    one black saree and blouse
    one thread 9 yards saree with blouse
    my pattu 9 yards saree
    pattu veshtti for my husband
    one shirt
    one dhothi and shirt for the kurukkal

glass bangles in various sizes (incl for the small kids)
    gold bangles (if any)
    silver and gold kaapu
    veppam kaapu (bangle made from the neem tree)
    alli mokku
    panni mullu (am not sure about the name) (it is in the form of the big needle) (though the vathyar brought with him we also brought from india, for safer side)
    mooku puzhiyum vasthram
    nava thanyam
    karbha rakshambigai amman slogam book with padam and prasadam incl the oil.
    kum kum
    manjal
    sandal wood

for the pathiyam:

legiyam (we brought the podi so that how much we want we can mix it with ghee and mek the legiyam instead of making and bringing from india), angaaya podi,

for punnya jananam

nellu for writing the name.
    vasambu valayal
    golusu for the baby
    thandai for the baby.
    black bangles
    summer clothes as u get very thin ones only in india. they call jabala.
    kasthuri majal podi (if u want)
    kajal made from home (mai kootrathu)

only these i remember.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
    2 people like this.
  5. latha_sasi

latha_sasi Silver IL'ite

Dear Shree;
    Thanks a lot for the post.This is almost the same list of things that my mother and I brought for my daughters function.Hope it will beneficial for the parents coming from India and arranging for the Vallaikappu,Semantham function and the Punyahavachanam function in the US.

Regards
    Latha Sasidharan

More to come..........

6. latha_sasi

latha_sasi Silver IL'ite

Re: Preps for people going to US contd.....

Then was the acthutham thelikkum function.The girl is asked to sit and bend forward and the elderly ladies are given achthadai pushpam to be put on her back and bless her to have a safe delivery. Then finally mangala aarthi was done.With this we ended the Vallaikappu function .The guests were then given a light breakfast and coffee/tea and then proceeded to Semantham function.
    This started of with Pillayar poojai.Udaya Shanthi and Homan was done.Mooku Pizhiyadal is the most important part of Semantham.The alam mottu (brought from India) is put in a hand stone mortar and powdered by two kanya penngals.This is then tied up at one end of the saree (chinnalam pattu or pattu ) brought for this purpose and the juice is squeezed into the girl's right nostril.The mullampandri stick is used to draw the semantham regai...i.e it is used on the girl's forehead... from the tip to the end of the head along the partition line on the head.

to be contd............

Latha Sasidharan

7. latha_sasi

latha_sasi Silver IL'ite

Next was the Poochutal and Manayil Amarthi Padal Padum Function.This is primarlily done by the girl's sister-in-law.She adorns her with flowers and gifts her with new clothes and jewellery.Since only roses were available this was made into a strand and used.Next was the singing session and many of the ladies who attended the function did a good job. It was said that Veena Ganam was very good for the baby to hear as it is soothing.Since nobody could play the veena we played Pre-recorded Chittibabu/EGayathri's Veena Cds which I had brought with me.So you can remember to take some Veena Cds as well.
    With this and finally an aarthi the function came to an end.Vathiyar's Sambavanai was given along with Veshti,Vertillaipakku and Bakshanams.

to be contd.........
    Latha Sasidharan

8. latha_sasi

latha_sasi Silver IL'ite

Last but not the least was the kalyana sappudu.Here I must thank my sister-in-law and her mother who took the full responsibility of doing the massive cooking for all.There were about 35 people in all and they took care of both the breakfast and the grand lunch for everybody.The breakfast consisted of a sweet,vegetable kichedi,chutney and coffee/tea.For the traditional lunch it was :
    Pal payasam
    Cucumber thayir pachadi
    Beetroot and tomato sweet pachadi
    Potato Curry
    Avial
    sundal
    Bisibela
    Rasam
    Vadai
    Appalam and vadams
    Thayir sadam
    Mango pickle
    Each and every item was good and eveyone enjoyed it.On that good fill the function ended well.Hope this is informative and helpful for the visitors coming to US for the vallaikappu and semandam functions.

Latha Sasidharan

sindmani likes this.
  9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Latha or anyone with some info on this,

I am the sister in law of the mother-to-be. Since we don't live in India Seemantham/valigappu cannot be performed in parental home, which is in India. My husband and I do not want my SIL to miss out on anything and so we wanted to do seemantham/valigappu at our home.
    Her mom is coming from India but not 100% sure of the date yet. We want to make sure that we don't wait till 9th month because of the late pregnancy. So we were thinking about 8th month.

I am going to make sure that i buy everything for my sister in law, but i did not understand what exactly are the below:

1. Allam Mottu
    2. Mulampandri stick
    3. neem kaapu...is it made of neem leaves?

Also, can someone please tell me how many verities of sweets shaould I make? I was told that I need to make 7 or 9 verities of rice as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks ladies! I greatly appreciate your inputs!

Last edited: May 10, 2010
    sindmani likes this.
  10. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi rakhi,

for the aalam mottu. panri mull u can contact the local naattu marunthu shop( the shop where they sell the herbal realted products and the grand ma medicines). neem kaapu is not from the leaves it is from the kaambu that has the leaves. the little stick which holds the leaves. it has to be bent and made like a bangle without breaking it.

my father sent those 3 by post itself.if u r planning to bring it from india, if neatly packed it can be sent in a envelope cover itself.