1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Feb 17, 2014.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Everyone must have heard the saying The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. But it does not work out always. Some men they themselves might be expert in cooking so they dont really appreciate and some men like their mother's cooking and they want their wife also to cook like her. Some women really take pains and are able to cook like their mother in law and win their husband's heart. But it is not possible for everyone.

I did not give much importance to learn cooking before marriage as my mother and grandmother were there to take care. I could have learnt so much from my grandmother who was expert in cooking. Now I feel I made a mistake because I was married to a family where everyone was expert in cooking including the men. For some even if they have not tried cooking earlier they become expert in cooking. I think its all each one's kairasi. Whatever they do comes out fine. Also confidence is required in ourselves that whatever we cook will turn out well. Since all were experts I used to be nervous that whether my cooking will turn out well or not. I could win my husband's heart through love . Not that he used to say anything about my cooking because he used to eat whatever I prepared. Actually I learnt cooking from him only in the beginning . But since we are from Kerala he mostly used to like kerala dishes only in which every dish has coconut in it for e.g. beans thoran, vazakkai thoran etc. But I like more of fried vegetables . So when we started living separately I used to make more of fried vegetables and my dh also got used to having that.

After retirement I cook different varieties and now I can say I have won him through his stomach too. :)

8 people like this.

2. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Aunty,
    Iam in your begining position now! whatever i cook he haves without any complaint...only difference is uncle knew cooking my dh dosent !! If he tries to make if Iam to work then it would be full of salt...And he will say manage...I do it everyday knw:)

1 person likes this.
  3. revathysankar

revathysankar Silver IL'ite

Hi mam,
    I am interested in cooking i want 2 try differnt types of dishes whereas my hus likes typical south indian food and my in laws are with me so i will get kitchen very rare and if they are out of staation i will cook and he also enjoys and appreciate my cooking now when i get appreciation from him i feel very happy and the day is my best day

1 person likes this.
  4. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vijima,
    Nice thread.
    There is another kind of men, who are ok with any kind of food. My brother is one of them and I have seen him appreciate food that is good or subpar with the same fervor. He is lavish with his praise, even for the worst dishes that I have made and has been the first one to taste my first few(awful) food experiments ;-)

1 person likes this.
  5. mrunalini01

mrunalini01 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I agree with you Vijima,

Above all confidence is must thing in cooking. Am not a professional, but can cook with all ingredients mingle nicely in the dish. Occasionally copy the recipes from restaurant when me and dh went out. Ah., well it turns good some day and worst another day.
    But am confident that practice makes perfection and one day i will his heart with the my restaurant style dishes.

1 person likes this.
  6. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

Aunty,
    Nowadays giving a single glance at the side bar of IL, am able to spot out your post just be seeing the title..:yes:

As usual a nice post aunty...Food taste better when we eat it with our family...Glad to know that uncle is enjoying your new variety cooking..You are rocking:thumbsup

In my case during initial days of marriage I did not get Kai pakkuvam but I believe I have improved a lot recently..As you said Confidence and Practise is required in cooking...

2 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Vijiakka,

What a pleasure it gives when someone tells clearly how much they enjoyed what one prepared with love. I have myself experienced it recently. I have prepared Vegetable Hakka Noodles for dinner for the whole family. This recipe is top secret and I have not shared it with anyone including my wife. I buy the groceries myself with proper ingredients and I finish it within 30 minutes. I have prepared it four times so far and each time my wife, son and mother in law said the preparation was excellent.

That is when I realized despite relishing everything prepared by my wife, rarely I tell her how much I enjoyed them all. It was an eye opener for me.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Viji
    I had an angiography done some three years back to make sure that all the four chambers of my heart were in sound condition and were working in tandem like the men in the Triumph of Labour statue. My cardiologist selected a vessel in my right wrist to reach my heart while I watched the proceedings on the TV set up nearby. At the end of the gruelling test, he pursed his lips with disappointment and I felt a stab of panic attacking me. To add to my dismay, he shook his head sadly. I felt that very soon I would hear the ominous words from his mouth about some blocks which were worse than the traffic jam in Sowcarpet and that I would have to undergo a bypass.

But he surprised me by saying that there were no blocks that would require any surgical intervention. He sounded very disappointed when he uttered those words probably because I interested him no more! I laughed like a tickled hyena and told him "Doc I have heard that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach but you have reached it through my wrist!' He gave me a wry smile. The joke probably did not go too well with him!

This Snippet of yours reminded me of that episode!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sorry Preetha dear for replying late.Thanks for your first like adn fb.Glad to know that you have a sweet husband who eats whatever you cook. You are lucky and blessed

1 person likes this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Revathy dear how ar eyou, seeing you after a long time. Glad you get appreciation from your dh.