1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Way to a Man’s Heart.....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AkilaMani, Aug 25, 2009.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We were hosting a dinner party for my younger daughter’s second birthday that evening. I was tensed about cooking for thirty people. I had hosted dinners and lunches for about 15 people earlier, but this seemed a tad too much. Thank heavens I had my mom-in-law and mom to help me out this time. I sent my husband to the market early that morning with the list I had already prepared and while he was gone, I mentally worked on how I was going to go about the cooking, which recipe I should make first, getting all the pots and pans out and ready, taking out the ingredients for various dishes out etc etc. I already had a menu prepared and had it approved by my husband, mom, and mom-in-law. So, I did not have to think in the line of what to make, only time it so that everything was ready by five in the evening. Sounds easy, doesn’t it? but it is not really that easy.

Once my husband returned, I started with chopping the veggies for one recipe at a time and neatly segregated and placed them in different plates and vessels in a visually pleasing manner, because that helps me to think clearly when I am at the stove, that is something I learned from my mom. I ground different masalas for different recipes and kept them aside.

All the three of us worked chatting along about different things. My mom rolled out the chappaties, mami (my mom-in-law) made them and I made other main courses, side dishes, and dessert. The sweets were already prepared by my mami and mom earlier that morning. My husband took care of my younger daughter, so I didn’t have to worry about her. We slogged for hours in the hot steamy kitchen and my husband peeped in once in a while to know how things were coming along. “Great” I said, but he did not look so sure “Do you think the cauliflower peas curry is enough, looks a little less for so many people” he said. “What about the curd rice, is that enough??” I reassured him and continued my work.

While my MIL served lunch to all, I continued my work in the kitchen. By the time it was 4 pm, almost everything was cooked and laid out on the dining table to be packed.

“Is it over yet” asked my hubby.

“Just one more dish go” I said.

“We don’t have that much time, we have to leave in an hour, you all have to get dressed, and the kids also have to get dressed!!”

“Don’t panic, everything will be fine. Why don’t you get kids dressed up, I have kept their dresses in the hanger of their wardrobe” I said calmly not at all feeling calm myself.

I sent my mom to help him and asked my MIL to help pack the food in the containers I had already laid out.

I pulled out my recipe for panner butter masala, since this is not something I make regularly, I totally depend on my recipe diary for the steps. All the ingredients were ready except for the paneer. I had forgotten to put it out to thaw and it was hard as a rock. I panicked for just a moment and then thought quickly, boiled water and immersed the paneer into it. While I waited for the paneer to soften, I tried tiding up the kitchen in vain. It was a complete mess which made me even more nervous. Somehow I finished the dish in another half an hour and went for a quick shower.

We were behind schedule by half an hour and my hubby was a nervous wreck. We left the house in a hurry, leaving a great big mess of unwashed pots and pans all over the kitchen to tackle later. I was thankful that we had planned to have the dinner at the beach and not the house.

The children were so excited to go to the beach and we had already packed their sand toys and balls along with the thank-you gifts for the kids coming to the party. We reached there just as the first guests arrived.

The dinner was a great success with everybody complimenting us for the cooking once they found out it was homemade. They had though that it was ordered from some restaurant since it was so neatly packed in similar looking containers. Many asked me for recipes and one even said that she wanted me to teach her to bake cakes. She had loved the chocolate walnut cake.

We all returned home bone tired but feeling happy that the evening was a success. I tucked my sleepy children in bed after giving them a refreshing bath. Two hours later, well past midnight, I finally finished straightening the kitchen and walked into the bedroom and was surprised to find my husband awake and waiting for me.

“I thought you were asleep” I said.

“No, I was just waiting to say that the party was a hit, the food was excellent, thanks to you” his eyes smiled.

“Not at all, without mami and mummy this would never have been possible” I said modestly.

“No, it would have been.... you have done this so many times for the elder one’s birthdays, alone mostly. And also we had always given dinner and lunch parties at home and you have always managed to pull it off so well. You are wonderful” he said still smiling.

Though I felt that I could not take full credit for the success this time, I was flattered enough not to argue. His smile was my ultimate reward for slogging for hours in the hot kitchen.

“The food was great... I am so lucky” he said again before dosing off to sleep.

So, I think it is true then, the way to a man’s heart is indeed through his stomach.

Bubbles likes this.

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hi Akila Mani - I loved reading this blog of yours. Certainly had an overhead view of what was going on in the kitchen. The little conversations with your hubby in between...so typical. They are all like this I think.....peep in just once in a while into the kitchen but pass a comment that gets us even worried more. You planned everything so well that you were not caught off-guard ( except for the paneer not being thawed in time :) ). Great to hear that all went well. ....... I have tried many times to think that the way to a man's heart is not through stomach, but somehow or the other, it seems to work !! Take Care.

3. Shrikha

Shrikha Senior IL'ite

Hi Akila,
    Wow! you must be a really great cook, not only that you seem to manage everything so well. I would not even dare to think of doing anything close to that. It was so sweet of your husband to appreciate you and your efforts. You are also lucky to have a life partner who understanda and appreciates. It was a wonderful blog, enjoyed reading it!!!

4. AkilaMani

Hi knots2share,

thanks for the lovely fb and the compliments...

5. AkilaMani

Hi shrikha,
    thanks for visiting and the nice fb. yes, i am indeed blessed with a great husband who is understands and appreciates.

6. Saswati127

Saswati127 Senior IL'ite

Congrats Akila for finally making the party a big hit!!!

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Akhila,

A beautiful account of the journey to a man's heart. I agree with you on this wholeheartedly...Kudos to you for managing and planning everything so well so that the party became a hit with friends & DH too.

8. AkilaMani

Thank you saswati and lalitha for the lovely comments :)

9. savipriya2000

savipriya2000 New IL'ite

hi,
    I read ur blog. I'm happy tht ur party was a hit and u made ur hubby happy/ proud too.
    U r true, to way to man's heart is to through his stomach".

Rgds,
    Savitha

10. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

I really loved reading the way you have narrated the incidents !!!!!

Love,
    "HAPPY"