1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The unpleasant truth buried under skyscrapers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by parvathy80, Oct 22, 2009.

1. parvathy80

parvathy80 New IL'ite

THE UNPLEASANT TRUTH BURIED UNDER SKYSCRAPERS
    Like most of you il lites me too destined to fly par seven seas as the destination beckons with wonderful package of living standard and a glamourous life style and moreover it is the need of present and future although the decision maker is recession. The city seemed to be build on competitive heights that make our eyes test on different degrees of attitude. All the way cranes make a point that this is not the end and this building bloom denotes we are growing beyond the heights and for us ‘sky is the limit’ literally.
    Builders challenges we can design your dwelling where ever in this planet whether it be on land, water, air what not. Whenever the architectural shapes sizes, designs holds a pause suddenly another sign board also shows up ‘CAUTION : MEN AT WORK’. Yes these men are working despite heat ,cold , rain and sand storm. They are not welcomed here after a period because those who hire them knows better they are good for nothing after this strenuous working years. But thinking about the hunger back home these people are ready to turn their blood into sweat.
    Whenever the laborer’s transport pass by the tanned faces, closed eyes, sweaty shirts makes us think we are more blessed in one matter or another. For all those who boasts on urbanization and the cities growth just a word ‘We Human’ sorry I don’t know whether I can generalize yes again WE HUMAN can never enjoy the mesmerizing heights because each heights burries some death toll.The men who met with accidents from these heights becomes a soul wrecking truth. So the heights that impressed me first start making me panic when ever my eyes goes up on heights and the men working on these buildings. Yes each death tallies the compensation but again thought evokes any mother, wife ,child can accept this money whole heartedly may be their hunger make them accept the money. How much conflict they fight on mind when hunger forces them to eat on the money their dear one’s death offered. How helpless these souls are?
    The idol we worship is a crafts man’s artistic skill. But after the art becomes an idol the artist becomes untouchable. Here also I am not sure whether these tired faces are allowed there after these bricks turns skyscrapers. This laborers knows each brick contains his blood turned sweat but now it turned a dream height.The very reality of a man’s labour makes it a dream for him what an irony.

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

I can think of one such place that fits perfectly for this and am sure many will feel the same too and possibly your article is based on that same place. Not sure what these people are trying to achieve and how far they are prepared to go, at the cost of these labourers. They surely do not seem to have any value for the lives of people who toil day and night and in all conditions. We may say WOW looking at the building, but how practical are they really??

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Very well said dear, whenever a new building is constructed we hear about accidental deaths. But I think may be the scene is better now than during the reign of emperors and kings. I have heard that the hands of the architect of Taj Mahal were cut by Shajahan so that he won’t design another monument as beautiful as this. After hearing this story I somehow lost my love for Taj Mahal and whenever I visit monuments the first thing that comes to my mind is how many poor souls would have made their blood to sweat to build this up, how many slaves would have been tortured for the same??!! Always less privileged people are extracted of their blood and flesh by those who enjoy a higher position and this might go on till the end of the world.

4. parvathy80

parvathy80 New IL'ite

shree and ami thanks for being the first readers i am previleged my dearest friends

5. madhupreeth

madhupreeth Senior IL'ite

Excellent blog Parvathi.....
    It is the same feeling we experience whenever we see the hardworking people who just sacrifice all the pleasures of life for giving a better life for their dear ones in their homeland.... real sacrifice....

6. parvathy80

parvathy80 New IL'ite

THANKS PREETHA
    yes the real sacrifice of flesh and blood

7. ayyan

ayyan New IL'ite

Dear Parvathi,

Happy to see that your mind went with those laborers instead of the beauty of those skyscrapers.
    There are many unpleasant and hidden truths buried in all the construction sites especially in Middle East, and our poor laborers are victims.
    I have seen many construction sites and many heart wrenching stories of poor laborers. I have seen a few laborers at the site of symphony complex (a 26 storied building in Kuwait) when I went as a consultant for a disputed project for a few days. I have seen so many poor laborers from south India, working with out getting any salaries for more than 8 months and even not getting any money for food or accommodation. You may not believe, but that was the truth, they can’t leave the job, because of two things, passport was with sponsor and, if they run away they loose the money of all the eighth months they worked and they have to face legal issues also if caught by police and there won’t be any ways to escape to home land.
    But I knew the company was in financial trouble, but the officials were living a luxurious life and don’t have any bother about the employees.
    Second thing the safety in that site was horrible; every body was working in utmost danger. Risking their life for nothing.
    So as you said, some people turn there blood to sweat for making some others to live well with out sweating.

Ayyan

8. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Wah ! really like your thoughts. Iam safety consultant and i view company's safety, health and environment policies and implementation. I work in a company where even if you get a scratch from the machines we report to authorities. This is our rights.
    After seeing the conditions of work at someplaces, i get so disturbed and also the indignant about the authorities who allow this to happen.
    As you said how many lives are buried under a sky scrapers, it is all because of negligence from the employees and employers. We need to increase awareness in labour community that safe working conditions is their rights.
    Jaya

9. parvathy80

parvathy80 New IL'ite

ayyan thanks for sharing your piece of mind in this issue as u have a first hand expierience of the situation. I cant understand how employers can see these lives so unimportant
    whether these people will try these risk for even one day for any cost with out proper safety measures

10. parvathy80

parvathy80 New IL'ite

jpatma thanks i think u got aa better picture than me abt the situation here other problem is as ayyan told passport and visa is not with the labours and they have no way to escape from the situation as of the strict labour rules.okke thanks fo rpouring ur mind here