1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Saviour - story based on a true incident

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by navs23, Jun 3, 2011.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

My head was spinning, it went round and round. It's been like this since morning and I felt like I was in one of those roller coaster rides again. I was scared, but had to ride them for the fear of being ridiculed by dad and sis, who always said I need to be brave and grow up.

Why did you have to overcome your fears to grow up? Venkat uncle had screamed too, when the coaster had plunged into a long deep drop. I remember Venkat uncle telling me that it was terrible and he never ever wanted to ride it again. 'But dont tell anyone', he had smiled and winked at me.

I opened my eyes and saw sis sitting next to me. She was crying. I have never seen her cry. She was never scared of anything and nothing made her cry. Wait a minute, had she not been screaming and crying, minutes before I had passed out? where am I now? I remember holding my head tight before hitting the ground.

The memory brought a new wave of pain and my hands went to my head instantly. It was sore and hurt badly. Had I fallen down and hurt myself? What have they done to my head, it felt so heavy. I opened my eyes and this time sis was not there. A man was sitting next to me and introduced himself as the 'police uncle', who was investigating this case. I wanted to get away from this man, he was a stranger and it was a bad idea to trust strangers.

The police uncle kept asking me the same question, what had happened? I tried hard to remember, but thinking so hard only made me want to sleep, close my eyes. I looked at the window and it was bright. What time was it and where is dad and mom? some thing was not right, they never let me sleep during the day.

I opened my eyes again. Mom was holding my hands tight and crying silently. Why is she crying?, has something bad happened? where is dad?. 'Dad', my voice croaked. 'hushhhhh, I am here dear, don't strain yourself', dad sat next to me and dabbed his eyes with a tissue. Has he been crying too?, what has happened and what is happening here?. I am scared to see everyone like this. I closed my eyes and slipped into deep oblivion. Sleep seemed to come easily every now and then and it felt good.

I heard police uncle telling me, 'Son, you have to help us help you'. I wanted to help him, help everyone, but what did they want?. He asked me if I could remember what had happened two days back. I tried hard. I was hit hard on the head. My sister was screaming loud and sobbing. And then it was all darkness. Who had hit me? My sister and I had been playing Monopoly. Mom and Dad had gone out, where did they say they were going? I could not remember. We were alone, who was it who had hit me then?

The bell rang and my sis looked through the key hole. It was a stranger and he said he had come from dad's office to collect a file. She opened the door wide enough to tell him to come back later and he pushed her back. The stranger had come into our home and locked the doors.

He had a huge metal rod in his hands and threatened to hit us if we made a noise. He went into mom and dad's room and came back with a case of jewels and money. The man looked around and my sister started to scream loud and tried to get to the door. The man got angry and charged towards my sister trying to hit her. I was scared, terribly scared and hid under the bedroom cot. The screaming got louder and louder followed by the crash of several things in the living room.

I got up and saw my sister fighting back the stranger. I threw myself in between them. I was scared, terribly scared, but I will not let anyone hurt my sister. He pushed me aside and shoved me hard. I hit my head against the wall and it hurt. I managed to get up and pull him back. He was strong and pushed me aside again.

I looked around frantically, I wanted him to leave my sister alone, leave us alone. I found the huge glass vase on the table next to the fruits. Mom had never let me hold it, it was heavy. I took it in my hands and begged him to leave my sister. He laughed at me and continued beating her. I wanted him to stop hurting her. I took the vase and threw it at his head.

It hit him hard and there was blood everywhere. He staggered and fell down with his hands on his head. He was shocked. My sister opened the door and ran to the neighbor's house to call for help. I tried to follow her. But something hit me hard on the head. He had struck me with the rod. I passed out instantly.

Remembering what happened was more painful. My head hurt more and more. My sister, what had happened to her. I looked around frantically and mumbled 'sis'. She came in. She had been crying, but she looked fine, safe. She held my hands and quietly said 'I am fine, you saved me! you're my hero' and started to cry again.

What had happened to that man?I had hurt him with the vase. 'Dad, what happened to that man? is he hurt? I did not mean to hurt him dad, I am so sorry, he was beating sis and I did not know what to do'. I started to cry. Dad held my hand and said 'it's ok dear, you were brave, very brave and you need some rest now' and asked me to go back to sleep. Sis was safe, she was good. Doctor uncle told that I will be ready to go back home next week. I smiled and drifted back to sleep.

2. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Very brave kid !!!!!!:thumbsup But how scary the situation was....Just cant imagine !!!!!!!!!:hide:

Good narration navs.... !!!!!!!!!!!:cheers

3. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you very much dear mss for the first feedback!
    This happened for true and the boy was only 5 or 6, much younger than his sister. It is the situation that makes even the timid brave I think :thumbsup

4. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear navs,
    Great narration... I liked it :)
    Hats off to the boy for his braveness

5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the wonderful feedback Vidu! I am so glad you liked it :)

6. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello navs,

Great narration..serioulsly it wasn't lagging anywhere at all:thumbsup

Kudos to the courageous 'HERO' of the story!

:cheers
    Saras

7. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the wonderful feedback Saras :)

Kudos to the little hero. Sadly, I wish this might have been the 'happy ending' in the real incident as well :(

8. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Very scary at the same time, touching story. Crystal clear narration, dear navs. Thats one brave kid. You said its true incident. is this kid a friend/relation of yours?

This story surely deserves 5 stars. I have an younger brother - and he definitely done the same when he was in that boy's shoes.

ilt

9. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you very much dear ILT, felt so happy :banana reading your comment. Thank you so much for the star rating :)

This story is actually based on a true/news incident that happened in Russia a few years back. Sadly, the boy did not survive though he fought bravely and was able to save his sister. I wish the real story had ended the same way as this one and the boy had lived!!!!

Sometimes, if we closely notice, these young little heroes(brothers) are more protective, watchful and strict than our father or husband too :thumbsup