1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The reminiscence

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by prana, Jul 18, 2011.

1. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

More than eight years were gone by since I completed my schoolings. My school days were one of the happiest days in my life.
    If you ask,’ which are the days you enjoyed most in your life time?’, more than 80% of the people would surely reply as ‘my school days’ .How true it is! We tend to be happier in those days. No much responsibility, no much worries, no much fear, no much jealous …Nothing. Only thing we had was happiness. The maximum worry we had was getting good marks. If our friend gets one mark more than us, we become anxious and it would last only for another ten minutes. After that those regressions would be vanished in the air like dew.

I too enjoyed my school days. Those days were still wandering heavenly in my mind. My school was one of the famous schools in our city. It was girl’s school. So we are the dominants there. You can’t see even a glimpse of other gender except drivers and watchman. And too, these guys are more than forty years of old :). Till I went to my college, I never knew the meaning of ‘mokkai’(chatting among boys or girls), ‘kadalai’(chatting between boys and girls).There were lot of interesting(!) words I heard after I entered my college only. See how innocent I had been!! Up to tenth standard we used to wear skirt (maroon color) and shirt (sandal color). That was one of the interesting combinations (when compared to other school’s uniforms). During higher secondary we need to wear half sari. Even after the government schools in our city said good bye to half sari and allowed their student to put on chuddy, my school still follows this custom. So we used to be like queens in that outfit. There is no need of getting fear of adjusting the half sari often or to care about anyone watching us since there was only girls.

I had many friends in my school days. Three of them were ‘bestest’. You can’t see us a single minute without opening our mouths. The two things we used to do constantly in that time was, chatting and laughing. I really meant it. For everything, we laughed. There wouldn’t be any big reason for laughing. Simply we laughed. We got caught red handed many times for our chuckling during the class hours. The usual comments from our teachers would be, '
    எப்ப பாத்தாலும் பல்ல காட்டிகிட்டு இருக்காதீங்க'
    (Literally, don’t show your teeth all the time).

Usually three students should sit on a bench. But always we four sit on a single bench. This incident happened when I was studying eighth standard. It was the last period of the class. Our Tamil teacher was handling some poem session. We four had a custom (!) that every evening, as soon as the bell rings, we beat each and everyone (among us 4) by saying 'அடிச்ச அடி மறக்காத;திருப்பி அடிச்சா முட்டாள்' (don’t forget my spank; you would be a fool, if you spank me back). The thing is we have to tell it first before anyone tells it. Mostly no one took class during the last period. But our mishap played its role on that day. Our tamil teacher went on still the last minute. We four were still looking at the watch. The entire class was at pin drop silence listening to our teacher. The clock stuck at 4.15 pm. We four enthusiastically started telling our rhyme and beating among us (out of curiosity). Just think about the situation then. The beauty was we were sitting on the first desk. God, everyone looked stunned, especially my teacher. You should see the look on our teacher’s face. She stared at us disbelievingly. She immediately dismissed the class and asked four of us to remain in the class. The next half an hour was the ‘advise’ section for us.

There were lots and lots of incidents happened like this. All were most cherished moments. The cultural programs, excursions, and games we played during our lunch times, extra classes during the public exams time, prayer times, advises from my teacher, food we shared in our lunch times, the true hearts with lots of love, everything would be in my mind for ever.

I am not saying here that I didn’t like my college days. It was another world. Another set of friends, thoughts, different kind of happiness. But am sure, the happiness lost the innocence.

2 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Prana dear

Nice post. Enjoyed your school days very much and through your narration felt as if I was also with you, so nicely you have narrated the whole thing Glad to know about your best friends and about the custom you had and how you were caught.

School days are the best days. Your post brought back memories of my school days. I also have a best friend from school with whom I am friendly since 1957. Two days back she had phoned saying her granddaughter is getting married and Ishould attend the marriage. We also had memorable days . I used to go to her house to study everyday for two hours , one hour play and one hour study. We used to do the maths before our teacher used to teach us and wait to receive excellent from the teacher. Though she was very rich she was a down to earth person. Her whole family was very good with me. On Sundays we used to play scrabble.

Thanks for bringing me the good old memorable days of school and sorry for the long post.

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Prana
    Nice to read about your school days.
    I think each stage has it's own charm, school days college days, married life then with kids then you become in law.
    We pass through so many stages na
    yes school and colleges days are always carefree days but later it is good but brings those stages with responsiblities.

4. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Prana,

There is no doubt that school days were the best part of life. the moments we laugh out loud for unnecessary reasons are to be cherished forever. ours is a girl school too. We used to say 143 with P/N sequence before leaving to home
    P refers positive and N refers negative so if we say 143 PNPN it refers I love you and if the P/N combination results in N , it refers I have I hate you :) ;) how childish we were..

Thanks dear to make me revisit those memories..

Dont forget to pass on my hugs to lil princess :)

5. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Felt very pleasant to read and it has brought back all my school memories which are THE BEST!
    thanks Prana...

6. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Prana,
    You brought back my school day memories...
    It was of course the most wonderful phase in my life...
    Enjoyed reading about yours :)

7. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Prana,

You really took me back to my school/college days.. The amount of fun we had among the friends were unimaginable. As you said the only worries used to be that it should not rain during the Games Period, Mather teacher should not come today as I have not completed my assignment and of course the marks to be scored.. Just too good!!

8. FirstBite825

FirstBite825 Bronze IL'ite

Twenty for me

9. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

those days were full of cherishable moments as you rightly said unlike the college days.

This brings me the memory of craft periods during my secondary schooling. The craft teacher was a old lady nearing her retirement age but she came to all my 5 years of secondary schooling. Sometimes i tend to forget to take the items for craft classes. She made us write imposition of the longest poem from our english book for 100 times and believe me, she used to come and take the notes to check (i don't know whether she had patience to check all the notebooks counting the numbers!). On one such occassion, i girl forgot her needles hence was holding a thin portion of a stick with the thread pretended to stitch and was lucky to go unnoticed as the teacher had some poor vision. Seeing her presence of mind, i developed an idea in my mind. When the other day, i forgot my entire kit, i just took out my big plain hankie (which already got embroidered by my mother) and pretended to have a thread and needle i was sincerely doing my acting part. The teacher came near me started gazing at me. Fearing that the cat will be out of the bag. My clever friend immediately told me, "cut the strangled thread and start stitching with a new one". so i pretended that my needle got stuck below and tried to pull the needle very hard. By the time, the teacher moved out the place and i was saved from writing a poem 100 times. But from that day onwards i never forgot to take the kit with me.

But i am still wondering how you people sitting in the first bench started your slap game forgetting a person standing before you. I could imagine very well the puzzled look on your teacher's face! ha.ah.....ha....

10. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Prana,

Good to see your post.Yes most of us do like our school days & cherish school friends more.Your post brings back many fond memories.