1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Price - Part 8

Discussion in 'The Price - Serial Story' started by varalotti, Aug 11, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Vandhanam, Vandhana

Dear Ms.V,

In Tamil the word vandhanam refers to thanks. Vandhana just means thankful.
    In all the folk dances in the very first song they would say "vandhanam" to God to the audience and so on.

Like you and Vidya, I am also for a happy ending. But a story like this which predicts avarice, heedlessness has to end in a sad note. We like Shakespeare's Macbeth more because it ends in a tragedy.

And one writer says that plays like Macbeth, are sweet tragedies, in the sense, that even though it is a tragedy our minds are filled with some kind of sweetness.

Thanks for comparing me with Guru Dutt.

Vandhanam, Vandhana
    V

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

A good end, I would say

Dear Sridhar,
    I am sorry to be so late. Aravindh was sick for the past 10 days. He is back to normal now.
    When you hinted that Vidya would have done the unthinkable, I found it little hard to digest. But truth, many times, can be stranger than fiction.
    After compromising to that level for her huband, a woman like Vidya could not live peacefully. Whatever we say about equality, Indian women normaly cannot have one night stands and compromise like this. Of course, there are exceptions everywhere.
    And Vidya deciding to move away from her husband, after hearing Chander's bargaining is only natural, her experiences would have told her not to believe Chander. So her disappearance is justified.
    And, it is heartening to know that Chander had some emotions left in him to grieve for Vidya's going away.
    Raghavan deserves to pay for his selfishness. He did not deserve Vidya.
    Usually Tamil and Hindi films will mostly have subham endings only, the public should be made happy by keeping the hero alive against all odds. But Malayalam films have practical endings, sometimes sad ones, which go along with the story. After all, life is not always a comedy.
    Thanks for a nice story. Now , what next?
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

3. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Very natural ending

Hi Varalotti,

I feel so heavy after the story. But its a learning lesson not only for flimstars but also for commoners who are sometimes so blinded by materialistic pleasures in life that they forget things which are more imp in life -- like passion, love, emotions. Very well written and said Varalotti.. i even liked your message to the IL team about price you have given us ILites.

Great Great ending to a good story!!!

Purnima

4. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Very Smart Sridhar!

Dear Sridhar,
    Very smart move to begin your story with the climax. I went back and read it again. I pity Ramkumar[Raghavan] for his ill-luck. Looks like all women betrayed him one way or the other. Now even Vidhya one may say blind love or whatever. But in some sense she did betray R giving herself to Chander. Is she a 'Barathiya Nari'. Yes V has paid a price but R has paid one even bigger than her.
    Chander seems to have realised his mistake in the end. The ending was perfect to me even with R & V splittling. Now my sympathies are with Raghavan.
    Great story Sridhar. Now what's in store for us next.
    BTW read Scar yesterday. I could not believe Sethu would behave like this to Sharadha. Now that was a more heavy one for me to digest. Are there any commedy stories written by you? If so can you tell me what they are?
    Love,

5. varalotti

FBs Not Complete Without Yours!

Dear Kamla,
    thanks for your 'straight from the heart' feedback. Words like yours spur us to write more and better.
    Yes the story was submerged in pathos right from the beginning. Thats why much against peoples wishes I doled out the story in small doses of less than 1000 words each. (B&B came in 3000-words packets).
    I am very happy to see that you are well geared up for controversies too. I am grateful to your words of praise that I add pizzazz to IL. (Of course there are many graceful ILites who think that I am IL's Aasthana pissasu. (you know that word in Tamil?))
    And I too cannot imagine my Saturdays anymore without sharing something with ILites.
    Thanks, Kamla once again.
    L,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Varloo, I can never thank you enough!

Dear Varloo,

No one is late for anything. This is not a timebound event. Whatever respect and love the first feedback gets, the 1000th feedback, gets the same.

I am relieved to see that Aravindh is back to normal. I have heard many doctors say that in cases like these when the child crosses puberty and is in his 20s, all the sickness withers away and he emerges as a healthy, robust child. May the samething happen to Aravindh.

There is a Dhanvantri Sannidhi in Srirengam. Please pray to him and everything will be all right.

We cannot equate Vidya's relationship with Chandar to one night stands. One night stand is when the woman driven by love or passion outside the marriage seeks gratification from a third person. But in this case Vidya is fiercely faithful to Raghavan and she detests Chandar like hell. Only when she sees that Raghavan might lose his sanity or kill himself, did she take the extreme step. We should not judge an act by its outward manifestation, Varloo. We should go deep into the doers heart to find out the real motive. And if you delve deep into Vidya's heart you will find only love and more love for Raghavan. What she did is an act of supreme sacrifice.

When Veera Pandya Katta Bomman, Shivaji's classical movie, was screened in our town long back, a MGR fan quipped:
    "what's this, your hero Shivaji is a coward. Had it been our man, MGR, he would have singlehandedly killed all the Englishmen by his sword and would have got freedom for the country."
    Giving a happy ending to price would be vindicating the words of that MGR fan.
    Having eaten the food, Raghavan had to pay the bill.
    At the end every character deserves our pity if not sympathy and understanding.

What next? Well, I have answered the question a dozen times. Please go to Part 7 and read what I have written there. Or simply read Kamla's response in this thread.

Thanks, for the enthusiastic participation, Varloo.
    regards,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

Thanks For Being There Always, Purnima

Hi Purnima,

Sorry for making you heavy. But life's truest lessons are better learnt only when the heart is heavy.
    This story started with its end. In fact I visualised the life of a man who is externally rich and internally poor. And if that man makes a public statement what it will be like? I started with that scene, which is the climax of the story. The rest of the story is just a detail to justify that climax.
    Thanks for being there, as always.
    regards,
    Varalotti

8. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

the ending was nice

Dear sridhar,
    The story gave me a heavy feeling in the beginning only. The ending was what Ramkumar deserved.Happiness is atune with contentment but it takes a person to realise wrong decisions only after he makes gross mistakes.Raghavan must have known that tragedy will befall if he chases his dream but he had to learn it in his way. Vidya had no choice but to leave him as her conscience would otherwise kill her.But whether should have gone to that extent, I wonder.
    Regards,
    Meenu

9. varalotti

Bharatiya Nari?

Dear Anjana,
    thanks for those kind words which sure will instigate me to write more and better. Vidya did not betray R. Had she gone to Chandar with love or lust, what you said may be true. But when she goes to a person whom she detests all her life, nothing but pure love for R should have motivated her. I made Chandar acknowledge that love.
    Bharatiya Nari doing that is not palatable, right? But the original cultural fit of Bharatiya Nari was relevant to the old civilisation where people did not have the ambition to become super stars from their positions as Accounts Clerks.

Thanks for appreciating the end. The end is very fitting simply because I wrote the end first and then wrote the story. At times some ladies will buy the blouse bit first and then scout for the right saree. I did the same thing here.

Thanks for what you had to say about scar. I am happy that it touched your heart.
    Thanks, Anjana, the faultless.
    regards,
    sridhar

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Wordsmith!..:))

Ha ha ha........ROFL................pizzazz=pissasu....that indeed was rib-tickling funny Sridhar....Must give it to you!! Oh my..........

L, Kamla