1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Other Side of Valentine!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Elphaba

Elphaba New IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

I turned and flipped this quote in all directions to see if there was any byline underneath. I searched in google "Judge your success [...]". Why did I do? Because I loved the Dalai Lama in your Professor for teaching such an insightful quote. Infact, clipped in my diary now. A thank you for mentioning this quote. I never heard it before. But everything I have to say henceforth is axial around this pivotal aphorism. Sometimes we venture writing pages for lack of that one penetrating and pithy saying like I'm doing right now but your Prof was a wise man who clearly saw through the mirages in life.

'Love' has not only been commercialized but commoditized these days that such an intimate feeling is quantified, parading and ranked. The pressure of social media is too much with everyone clambering to outgun each other to flaunt humble and private troths as grand ball of jazzy covenants on Valentine's day. Is such an outpour sap of the lovesick or aggression of the needy? This renascent 20th century festivities stripped of vulgar and barbaric ancestral sacraments now reek of schmaltz and gaud. When two people are in love, and they know that they are in love, why such validation? Perhaps the romantic fortunes amassed are beginning to dwindle and a sense of delusion can only change the tide.

Yours,
    Other side of the Valentine

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Elphaba
    I now feel like a Third Umpire being asked to deliver my judgment on a contentious issue! Other side and Same side of Valentine! Dalai Lama certainly appears to be behind the change of your heart. Before I proceed further with your FB, I am duty bound to sort out this Dalai Lama quote being attributed to my English Professor of 1960s. Believe me, long before the Dalai Lama could make himself heard and remembered, my English Professor spoke with Socratic authority on many a subject concerning youth. I had merely put them in refined modern lingo of the Dalai Lama which has endeared him to millions. Needless to add here that I am myself a fan of the Dalai Lama though to a somewhat lesser degree compared to my Professor. I have learned one thing from the striking similarity of sentiments ensuing from two people who were geographically and socially far apart and that is the universality of home truths!

My youth was not well acquainted with Valentine but that did not deter us from active romantic thoughts. I often would sit on the terrace of my middle class flat and lose myself in Gondola rides with the gondolier singing some lusty serenade, Emilio Pericoli singing Al di la in his rich baritone and Freddie giving vent to his romantic thoughts of Elisa singing ‘I have often walked down this street before’. Romancing invariably meant belting out soulful songs in a rich voice! All the scenes would suddenly dissipate into fine dust like Michael Jackson in Remember the Time and I would be back into the rickety flat!

Some five decades later, romancing has taken an entirely different hue. I can’t express myself better than in your words, 'Love' has not only been commercialized but commoditized these days that such an intimate feeling is quantified, parading and ranked.’ I am sure St.Valentne would be crying in his grave!
    Sri

1 person likes this.