1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer by Laxmi Hariharan

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Mohur, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

I picked up this book for two reasons... First being that this is a YA Thriller in Mumbai. Secondly, I have already read the author’s debut novel, The Destiny of Shaitan, and I had thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer, as the name suggests, follows the life of a tea drinking, very independent and sometimes immature Ruby Iyer. She is determined to make her life on her own in the fast paced and overcrowded city. When her best friend gets kidnapped, Ruby has only Vikram to depend upon to see her through the challenges and threats posed by Dr. Kamini Braganza. But is Ruby ready for what’s to come her way and will her bond with Pankaj and Vikram stand the test of time?

Ruby Iyer is ‘The Girl’ now. She is smart, sassy and stubborn. She is not your run-of-the-mill runaway teenager. I loved her for all her flaws and strengths. It was a real refreshing change to read about this ‘bindaas’ girl whose strength of character and very strong sense of right and wrong will have the reader cheering for her in no time. Pankaj, Vikram and even Braganza bring a variety of flavor to the novel. All the characters are very well developed and vibrant.

Mumbai, the tinsel town of India, promises glamour, success and money to anyone who is interested. Laxmi Hariharan breaks down that charm and shows us the real face of the city. From breathtaking scenery to the crowded streets to the polluted air to the poverty stricken slums to the elite strata of the society – the author has covered it all. The detailed description of the setting transports you immediately to this world of Ruby Iyer.

Fast paced and full of twists and turns, this novel is a complete page turner that keeps you hooked till the very end.

2. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello Mohur,
    Thank you for introducing a new author to me.
    Frankly speaking, I have not read any books from Indian authors, it was not by design, but just that I stuck to my fav authors and not did not venture out of the comfort zone of their writing.
    Can you tell me the name of the author and also whether we can get the e-books of this author?

3. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

The Author's Name is Laxmi Hariharan and the ebook is available on Amazon

4. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Thank you Mohur, I will check it out today.

5. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Good afternoon Mohur.
    I just purchased the book today. Have you started reading the book or have you finished it ?
    If not let's read it together and share our views.