1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Library

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by daisy2015, Aug 11, 2016.

1. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

Hello friends. I am posting a new story after a long break. I hope you will like it. Please give your valuable feedback.

The library
    Part-1

I was bored to death in my new place. No friends to talk to (of course I have a few who stay in the same town but they are busy with their own lives to the extent that they don’t have time to sleep). I can’t disturb them after they have given me enough hints that I am not welcome because I don’t fit into their lifestyle. All I do these days is to look outside the window and spend time seeing that single neem tree that is visible.

Many nights I spent thinking “why can’t I have some good friends who would like to hear from me?” Need I say I was disappointed that I didn’t receive any answer for this question? I know it is a total waste of time to spend on such useless questions. I know, I know. They are not useless questions but to be truthful what is the use anyway spending loads of time on such matters where the result is clear from the start?

I tried many hobbies. I killed a few plants under the name of gardening, killed a few fish (not intentionally though. I happened to run out of town on urgent work and couldn’t hand them over to anyone to look out for). I told you I had no friends. I ventured in many other hobbies too. You know the output of those hobbies. Utter failure. If you couldn’t guess by now.

One day my dad asked me to get ready and accompany him to some work he has. I thought, "why not?" What is there to lose? So, I got ready in a jiffy and was waiting for him (imagine a girl getting ready in 3 minutes. That was my record time.) I was so excited ‘coz all my hobbies have led to the same ending. Failure. So, here I was waiting for him and thinking about anymore hobbies left unattempted. After all I didn’t want to think in the future that I have left one stone unturned.

My dad came outside and gave a nod as an indication to follow him. I went outside and sat on his bike. I was bubbling with energy that we are going out (you already know I was bored to death). When he finally stopped the bike and told me to get down I found myself in front of a library. “A library?!” Are you kidding me? I was never interested in reading books for heaven’s sake. Oh! Leaving those one or two books that I read as a child because I was all alone (I mean, not literally but there was no one of my age to be with). I opened my mouth to tell him that I am not interested in books but he stopped me from saying anything. He kept walking from the parking lot. I had to keep my mouth shut and follow him (practically run to keep up).

I was all sweaty. Did I tell you I was a bit overweight? I don’t like to admit it but there I was all thin and beautiful one year and then the next year I was round like a balloon. I didn’t realize I was overeating until I checked my weight along with my friend for fun just to read what fortune is written behind my ticket. But when I saw the figures that were printed on the card I didn’t have any time to turn back and read my fortune. I was in tears. I have gained 8 kgs in this one year. How did this happen? Why did this happen? Why me? I was back to the same general question that everyone asks in difficult times (at least most of the people think this question once in their lifetime) WHY ME?

Well, it seems that I was too engrossed in achieving my goals. I did the opposite thing of what normal people would do. Not that I am abnormal or something but when I am anxious or eager about something I keep eating. It relaxes my nerves. At least that is what I told myself until I checked my weight that day.

Now you know why I am all sweaty after walking just 10 steps from the vehicle. Now I was standing in front of the stairs. ‘I have to mount these stairs? No way.’ I was looking at them as if I am in front of Mount Everest. My dad turned back and beckoned me to keep up. Uh..uh. There is no way I am going to mount those steps. I moved my head left to right so vigorously that two strands of hair went into my eyes and I was forced to close my eyes.

He called me in serious tone (which by the way is not a good indication) and I had no other choice than to go behind him. There I was standing in front of the door to the lending section room all red and sweaty. I was looking around me and wiping my face. There were so many present there. They were looking at me and murmuring something among themselves. I felt embarrassed. I wanted to run away from there but I couldn’t. My dad was now talking to me and was telling me why he brought me here (What? What did he say? I was lost in my own world). Wouldn’t you be if everyone is staring at you like you are some piece kept in a museum?

A man in his fifties came to us and he spoke to my dad and gave a form to become a member. He filled everything and asked me to sign. You already know, I was looking all around me and feeling embarrassed. I didn’t want to stand there for one more minute. So, I signed the paper and gave it back without asking any questions.

After the formalities are completed, he took me and dad for a tour and showed us all the collections that are available. Until then, I was not paying much attention to what he was saying but when I saw that there are some good books here that could help me in losing my weight I got all interested and excited about this library thing.

Seeing my mood my dad felt happy and told me to pick any book I like. I immediately chose one of the diet books and went home happily. From then on I was busy reading books.

2. Rampuri9

Rampuri9 Silver IL'ite

welcome back daisy ..good start

3. daisy2015

4. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Welcome back, nice episode.

5. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Daisy dear, am just too happy to see you back. As usual you and your story rock dear. All the best.

6. leenarajaryan

leenarajaryan Silver IL'ite

Nice One Daisy, Welcome back.. was eagerly waiting for the best writers of IL to comeback & u r here - 1 of them.. Thanks for writing for us.
    By the way what is the name of our heroine.

sreeram likes this.
  7. daisy2015

Thank you

vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. daisy2015

Thank you. Happy to know that you liked it.

sreeram likes this.
  9. daisy2015

Ahhh.... that is a surprise. you have to wait a little longer to know her name. Thank you for thinking me as one of the best writers. So kind of you to say that. You have made my day.

leenarajaryan likes this.
  10. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Oh dear Daisy missed you so much..Thanks for coming back and for one more story ... I am all excited to read the episodes. All the very best !!
    --PS