1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big Must Read List

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by PriyaSrini, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

not bad. just breezed through it. i am not a great fan of self-help books. just pick them up as they come recommended by friends. more from the christianity angle. people call him the miracle worker. but the point is most of the times we know what we need to know, but we need an external tool to prod. these books could do that to someone who needs it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

all my favorites during college. along with mary higgins clark and lawrence sanders

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ice help is good. picked it up few years back when shivachoubey recommended it. liked it. saw the movie adaptation. not bad.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

saby if i have read richard bach credit goes to you. loved them

you were in my thoughts this morning when i heard about bks iyengar's death. yoga and saby go together in il for me.

paul coelho- most of his books. right now ds is reading the winner stands alone, will get it after he has read it a few times. he will not allow me to borrow till then. we buy his books for ds sake. nothing like holding a book. a blue bookworm..

2 people like this.
  5. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Shanvy.

@Shyamala - I like Arthur Hailey books too, especially Airport and Strong Medicine.

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

You are so sweet Shanvy and Thank you! You know very well that you cannot get me started on Bach, when do I stop, where do I stop? His Illusions, I don't know when it can work a wonder for me. Ironical no - a name like Illusions but working wonders!

I love most of Coelho's books too and when I read the Pilgrimage, I was moved enough to send an email to him :hide: (never do such things, almost) and guess what, he sent back a personally signed card! It is one of my most valuable possessions :) I am happy to see that your DS likes reading ( I couldn't think otherwise!) and you buy books for him - me too, the books that touch are always in print form at home.

Heard about BKS this morning! Such a well lived good life. I am touched and happy that mention of yoga reminds you of me. Thank you!

2 people like this.
  7. padmaja909

padmaja909 Platinum IL'ite

there are so many books i loved. how can i list them. but i will try
    roots by alex haley
    count of monte cristo alexander dumas
    to kill a mocking bird harper lee
    zemindar valerie fitzgerald
    shwashank redemption ( short story by stephan king)
    It by stephan king again
    lie down with lions ken follet
    day of the jackal fredrik forsyth
    gone with the wind margret mitchell
    fountain head ayan rand
    atlas shrugged ayan rand
    thousand spendid suns khaled hosseni
    where eagles dare alister maclean
    all books of jefffery archer, sydney sheldon, harry potter series, twiligh saga, percy jackson series
    uff and so many more are there. how can i not remember each and every one of the books that i enjoyed over the years :bang

6 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

lot of ayn rand fans here..i love her books. anyobe readd the virtue of selfishness, we the living and anthem. not so famous but her books.

9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Hii all,

When I was reading the list, I was nodding "yes" to most of it:yes:. There are a few books in this list I have not read. Made a note of those as well. I guess " to kill a mocking bird" tops most of the readers charts :)) Mine too.

Apart from the already mentioned books in the list, I am adding a few more

1. The Agony and The Ecstasy (Irving stone) Fictional depiction of michael angelo times... beautiful book

2. The suitable Boy (vikram seth) (An Indian mega serial..Light read...I loved it)

3. The grapes of Wrath (John steinback)

4. A fine Balance (Mistry) (beautiful, interesting and depressing must read.It is sad that a brilliant Indian writer is so unacknowledged. I like Rohinton Mistry's other book "the family matters" but this one is a class apart)

5. In cold blood (just for the writing, you can visualise every character. Based on a true tragic event)

6. The alienist (thriller, beautiful/amazing writing. If thriller is one of your favorite genre, this is a must read)

7. Rebecca (Daphane du murier) (Another amazing amazing writing. You can visualise the manderly house and its rhodium blooms. Some people has a way of writing. Another suspense novel. )

8. Ladies Detective Agency (like most of the books in those series)

9. Sherlock Holmes (Again almost all the books)

10. How can I forget "the godfather", and "pride and prejudice" and "emma" The classic. The list goes onComputer Typing

4 people like this.
  10. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy,

Read we the living..this is one of my most favorites..i just couldn't sleep well for a while after finishing it.. really touching! the other two, i have it on my to do list and haven't gotten around to reading it yet..