1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Car That Was Not Mine

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Dec 5, 2018.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

The car that was not mine.
    I do not know about others but I used to have a strange feeling about a car that was not mine but likely to be mine some day.
    Well we never had a family car. Not even a two wheeler. Couldn't afford one. My father, single earner, meager salary, family of five, rented house and other contingencies made it impossible and socially laughable to think of a car or a two wheeler as far as he was concerned.
    But I had musings which reflected in my holding the steering wheel of my driver uncle's truck and pretending to drive the only car we had in the neighborhood. I still remember- it was Morris Minor, dark tan with navy blue upholstery.
    Well time moves and after some 10 years of hard work in the field on a two wheeler provided by my generous employer to save money on third party service providers- rickshaw, auto or taxi, I was promoted to the position of Regional Manager and entitled to a second hand car which was in use of one of the high ranking employee for 5 years and prior to that was in the use of one of members of the founder of the company. Traditionally, new cars were purchased for the founder or his family member and after few years passed on to some high ranking employee and then to another not so high ranking employee.
    Those of my time at work during seventies and eighties will remember how difficult it was to own a car or for that matter even a scooter. There was a long waiting period after formal registration and those would or could not wait purchased at premium in the open market. Thus Standard Herald, Ambassador and Padmini cars were sold immediately after allotment at double the purchase price in the black market. Same for Bajaj and Lambretta scooters.
    These cars were for life, unlike today when cars are replaced faster than suits.
    So it is understandable why there were few cars and long waiting list and that is one of the reasons I got it after 10 years of waiting, notwithstanding my love for cars.
    Maruti changed everything. Thanks to Sanjay Gandhi and his mechanic friend Bansi. Their car project did not take off but it did flare the imagination of many. The project was taken over by Suzuki who entered hungry Indian car market with Maruti 800 in 1983. By 1990 more companies entered and test is history.
    To be honest I was looking forward to it. 10 years is a long period in the life of a car lover, particularly when he had none. I was expecting this promotion because our Regional Manager had resigned and I was next in the line. The car he was using was old enough to be discarded and moreover one of the founder's family members needed a new car and as I said tradition prevailed.
    Therefore, I had already started to what they say refreshing up myself on my driving skills which were lying dormant for some years now after I learnt driving and obtained a driving license in the hope that one day I will drive my own car. I learnt my driving holding the steering wheel of Ambassador Car.
    Needless to say that my first car was Ambassador 10 years old, still young with minor tantrums, white, grey upholstery. It needed some touch ups here and there and since it was company maintained, that was not an issue. Another advantage was that car mechanics were available at every nook and corner not only in the city but all over India. Yet how grudgingly I envied my boss who was now allotted a blue Contessa.
    One advantage of being allotted with used cars was every time I got a different model. So next 10 years I drove Fiat, Maruti 800, Maruti Zen, Baleno, Wagon R. Every time I had a change, it was all excitement and eagerness to touch and feel the sensation of taking it on the high way all by and for myself.
    If that was the excitement and feeling for a used car one can imagine the high pitch for a new one! It was only on April 14, 1995 that I got car of my choice Maruti Esteem, brand new, sleek, navy blue and golden brown upholstery. I do not know much about the machine except the steering, gears, accelerator, break, lights and of course starting switch. I don’t own a car now because I do not drive anymore.
    There are around 10 car manufacturers in the country now each having 5 to 10 models. Added to that are easily available imported cars. I have since travelled in many of them. That strange feeling no more exists. Why? May be I cannot drive them? Or because too many of anything make it monotonous?

But that Morris Minor still has a special place.

2. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Enjoyed reading this snippet.

Car was a luxury for majority households in 80s and 90s (not any more). Mine and my classmates’ teenage dream was to own a nice car and take our mothers around to show off in the neighborhood . I wonder what would be the dreams of today’s middle class teenage boys.

satchitananda likes this.
  3. HariLakhera

Thanks for your first and only feedback so far. Owning a car was a dream come true in those days. There were waiting lists for Padmini and Ambassador, the only cars then. Besides there was no buy today pay later. Today one can buy anything and pay later on EMI. Teens are more happy to have latest high horse power motorcycles and show their skills on the express highways.

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Oh, this has been posted long ago. Sorry, just saw it today. Am surprised at the meagre response, considering how interesting and relatable the topic is. I enjoyed reading it. We did not have a car, though our landlord had a Fiat. We were often offered a ride when there was an urgent need, e.g. when my sister got married, when she had her kids to take her to hospital, when I got married ..... It was after a prolonged battle that I got my first TVS. I actually wanted a Luna but the waiting time for that was 8 years, where as TVS was available within a month or so. Eventually I did get a Luna after a few years and the thrill of being able to go anywhere and everywhere on my own was something beyond compare.

After I got married, BH tried to convince me to drive a Maruti 800. I was not mentally geared to drive a geared vehicle. So it was that once I rammed the car into the gate of my mil's house, once onto her lawn, another time into somebody's Maruti Esteem and finally into the wall of mil's house. After that I gave up the idea of ever driving a car until the automatic came into the market. I learned to drive, went on long drives ..... for about a year. After that thanks to various health issues which could put others on the road at risk if I was at the wheel, I gave up driving ..... I have no desire of seeing myself in handcuffs with my photo splashed across the first page of local newspapers. As for the Activa I drove for more than 10 years of my life, it is standing completely inactive in recent years.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

Thanks to @Greenbay for bringing this thread to my attention. It is a very interesting thread of how you ended up using variety of vehicles in India. I never heard of new cars being used by the founder and his family and then passed on to the executives.

When I worked for a premier R & D organization in Pune, none of us owned nor can afford to own a car. But we were all picked up by rental cars paid by the R & D organization. This privilege and phone are given only to senior level executives. Later when I joined the software industry, I was told that I was eligible to buy a new car of my choice at the cost of the company. However, one executive was fired before it was my turn to get a car and he bought a brand new vehicle only 3-4 months back. Therefore, I decided to get that car allocated to me instead of buying a new one. I learned driving in 1992 when I was in Trivandrum and obtained my driving license. However, my first driving experience to commute to work and back home was in Mumbai. I was driving everyday from Kandivli to Andheri for work.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

Dear Mam,
    Good that it got to your notice. It is not always possible to read and comment on every post. Moreover, the person who posted also matters.
    I am myself like a vintage car now but thankfully still spurting. Remember those floor shift gears that would not budge push how hard you may on the clutch! And the steering that will not move in a direction you want to! And the Ambassador of which every part wills rattle except the horn! And who can forget the comic situations when you pushed the excelator for the break! Lots of good and not t so good memories.
    Two great scars of motor cycle misdemeanor!!

satchitananda likes this.
  7. HariLakhera

Great memories we all have. Yes owning or deserving a car was a far cry then. I learnt driving early but there was no car to drive. But drove all two wheelers for good ten years before I was allotted a car. I worked with Mumbai based companies and therefore visited Mumbai quite often from Kolkatta and Delhi. In promoter driven SMEs it is common to pass on second hand cars to second rank employees. Premier was different.
    As for driving license, it was delivered at my home. I never went for a test. I drove for good twenty years.

8. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

very nice snippet! I can relate to it in my current mood!

I come from a typical middle class family. Owning a car was considered a luxury in my family. I still remember my college days when i used to wait in the bus stops (where the buses dont stop!) and looking at every driver and passenger in all the cars and envying them. However, once i started my journey in MNCs, its a different story.

i can now say i that i have driven in almost most of the models available in the market today! Thanks to Uber and Ola, i can now say in which brand, which model is comfortable, which cars look spacious form outside but congested from the inside and so on....

recently me and my DH bought our first car. After long discussions and arguments and thoughts, we zeroed in on a compact sedan. However, my DH was so insistent on buying a 7 seater initially. So we tried looking at all 6 and 7 seater models...but every time i sat in one, i felt like it was another one of my office cabs.

Infact, the first time i sat in our own car, i felt i was in my office cab or in some Uber/ Ola cabs. But that feeling vanished the minute i started driving the vehicle. I started feeling my car. My car now has become a family member to me - if you know what i mean.

But largely, that wide-eyed lusty look i used to have when i looked at the cars back in those days is no longer there.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

@HariLakhera & other feed-bCkies,
    It is interesting dream of many coming to fruition in few cases sooner. In auto bans and special highways driving HER is a pleasure.
    2. But in places where traffic density high or traffic bumper to bemper, the person behind the wheel must be cursing the world and public. Homes without car parking space compelled to occupy public platforms for parking in Indian metros.
    3. For parking in public places corporation charge a fee. Safe parking is nightmarish without a rear camera vision.
    4. With all this car market is spiked. More and more cars on the road but no drivable roads in the city. This is despite regulation and a ministry for road transport.
    5. When hire and “fire” in the name of über or Ola why to drive with all these hassle. No worry of maintenance regular renewal of licence payment of tax etc.
    call taxi just a phone call away 24x7.
    6. In many places one drives virtually through carbon monoxide and other oxides carcinogens which exists to a height of 5 feet from ground over a long stretch!
    7. I did not renewed my driving license of 20 years old and enjoy back seat driving.
    8. I learnt driving of truck - ford Canadian - as a part of the engineering course when I carried big dreams of designing a car. After wedding, other dreams took over and those dreams had over riding priority in life.
    8. In Ac car one breathes cool stale air not fresh air.
    9. So with these pressures one would feel there is absolutely no pleasure in driving a car.
    10. My experience of driving over a hill I attempted describing in my blog
    Power & Promotion When Drive Is In Reverse Gear

Who ever still choose to drive her darling - I mean your limousine- happy driving throughout the new year too.
    Regards.
    God Bless us All Always.

10. nness

nness Bronze IL'ite

I have felt that about cars and cameras. Modern designs don't fancy my imaginations anymore, they all look the same to me. I wish to own a vintage Fiat, still a dream. Someday.

Thyagarajan likes this.