1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Book Yet To Be Published

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Oct 20, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

The book yet to be published.

"Gahe gahe ise padha keeje,
    Dil se badh kar koi kitaab nahi."

(Once in a while, keep reading this,
    There is no greater book than the heart)
    ----a couplet from Jagjit Singh's Album.

Reading once in a while our own heart is tantamount to reading the greatest booked published ever. All what is needed is to bend the neck a little forward and look in the heart.

This is the book yet to be published, hence not in the best sellers chart, not on the selves of any library-public or private, not yet priced, not yet sold, not yet purchased, not yet possessed by anybody except by the person who holds it in his/her body or conscience. It does not even has a title. Some may call it soul, though.

This the book not fully read or grasped. The more you try to read it, the more it becomes complex. You may tend to find different meanings for the same word. For example :
    -what is truth? If it is opposite of lie, then what is lie?
    -what is sin? If it is opposite of virtue then what is virtue?
    -what is life? If it is opposite of death, then what is death?

It's commands and teaching can be very controversial also. It keeps on fighting with the mind. Mind anyways keeps on fighting with itself, does not need an enemy to fight with, yet keeps fighting with this. Mind has the capacity to express itself in words but seldom listens to the writings in this book.

Millions of books have been published. Has anyone captured what this book of heart say? Millions of quotations are circulating around from these books. Is anyone closer to the hearts of millions?

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There is an unforgettable scene in the movie ‘The Ten Commandments’. The senior Pharaoh is in death bed looking serene and at peace with himself. His niece is sitting there overcome with grief and the Pharaoh tells her not to grieve. He says in a soft tone that dying is a part of living. That scene had tremendous impact on me. What a way to look at death, I told myself.

My brother’s wife was struck with blood cancer in the mid 70’s. The treatment for it was not as highly evolved as it is now. In 1978, she was sinking and we were feeling helpless. My brother and I made a trip to Kanchi to meet the Paramacharya and plead with him to save her for we had heard of some miracles he had performed. He heard our appeal for saving my sister-in-law. He just smiled and raised his right hand saying ‘God will save her from all her pain’. We returned home happy that my s-i-l would start her journey towards total recovery. She died exactly a week later. She was 36 when she died. I was utterly confused about the words of the Paramacharya. Initially I thought how his prediction could go wrong. Then I realised that what the Paramacharya meant by saying ‘God will save her from all her pain’ was that she would no more have to carry her body that caused her so much pain. I recalled how serene my sister-in-law looked when she died. It is 49 years since she passed away but I still remember our meeting with Paramacharya as if it took place yesterday.

sindmani and HariLakhera like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

A beautiful colourful thought-provoking thread that has potential for triggering immense discussion. between heart and mind the distance could be infinite, though heart is below and at close proximity to head. naturally the books (read thoughts) in trillion trillions remain unpublished. If heart is considered solar, mind could be treated as lunar!!!!!!!!!!!!! then what is Head?
    Thanks and regards. God Bless Us All.

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    On seeing the title I thought it is about some book. Then thought it is about Ghazals of Jagjit singh which I like very much. But No, neither of the two. Much much higher philosophy which is not my cup of tea!
    Book of heart? Do we like to go deep into it? Not often. We are afraid it may point out the mistakes we committed, are answerable to it which we do not like. On the contrary we try to defend our actions with a suitable logic....logic can be twisted in any way. Then think...do not peep into it. But not by peeping faults do not go away.
    Truth, sin , life, birth, death are not completely definable. Birth we rejoice. Death we grieve. Which is born is perishable. Why are we not able to take both of them with equanimity? Needs a LOT of maturity and training of mind which is not possible for ordinary mortals.Yes, some call it soul. Only body is destroyed, soul is forever. Sages say soul is real you. But can we accept that and change our thinking? No....back to square one. Those who have realised their souls do not come back to us and tell about it. It is an eternal question.
    Very thought provoking one but not many answers.
    Syamala

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hariji,

Thank you and you have articulated a very important subject in this post of yours. I always look at the pair of opposite as the absence of the other. For example, the question of what is death is best answered as "absence of life", what is untruth can be answered as "absence of Truth" and what is sin can be answered as "absence of virtue".

The battle between the mind and heart is constant and when the battle stops and the mind is conquered by the heart, the need for life ceases to exist. Yesterday we had an interesting discussion and learned that when the "Conscience" becomes "Consciousness", we realize our full potential. Conscience is one that coexist along with mind and constantly telling the mind what is right and wrong. In order to win the battle with the mind "Conscience" has to become "Consciousness" is what I learned in that discussion. The body-consciousness (Bhavaroga) comes from the mind and in order to feel the real consciousness, the mind has to be tamed. It is like the poison that embeds us to delve in worldly desires and attachments is the cure (antidote) meaning it needs to voluntarily become subservient.

That may be the reason for learned people suggesting meditation, prayer and control of senses as part of life. To answer your question, no, I have not read the book of heart completely and the mind trivializes the need to do so. I have understood that in order to experience Consciousness, I need to understand my mind. I am reading the mind and its vagaries so that eventually I can understand the Consciousness.

Viswa

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    HariLakhera likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

Dear Cheeniya,
    Very sad episode. It is your faith in the words of Paramacharya that is still consoling you. I am sure she is happy where ever she is.

7. HariLakhera

Dear Thyagrajan,
    I think heart is mute spectator when it is over ruled by the head. May be it is crying too. The more we can listen to our heart, the better.

8. HariLakhera

Syamalaji,
    There are no clear cut answers. If I may refer to what Khalil Zibran said as I have done it many times. He said- the seventh time I cussed myself when I took a short cut. It means he had taken six short cuts already and cussed himself all the time but all the same took a seventh short cut disregarding what his heart was commanding him to do. Following the heart means taking a long way even if it means short term losses. We all use shirt cuts to have short term gains.

9. HariLakhera

Dear Viswa,
    This is a very valid and learned interpretation of conflict of heart and mind and thank you for this insight.
    As my own experience goes, reading the book of heart, which can be termed as conscience, is very easy because it does not swing like mind. Say, I am hungry and have no money. My mind tells me to steal but my heart tells me stealing is sin. Go and find some work, earn your food. Mind looks for short cuts, heart advises right way, which may be a long way. In every which way it gives us the right advice but in order to avoid long journey we take short cuts under pressure from mind.
    I think the more we listen to our hear the happier we will be but the path may be full of thorns.

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari,
    No need to bend our neck to open the heart and speak. Our mind (brain) will speak to our metaphysical heart. Though both heart and mind are interconnected once the physical heart stops the mind cannot function, but for a brain dead person heart may function, but mind can't function without the help of metaphysical heart or you may call it soul.

What is life?
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance,you must keep moving.
    Quote:
    Albert Einstein

PS