1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Beauty And The Brain - Episode 11 - Serial With Weekly Episodes

Discussion in 'The Beauty And The Brain - Serial Story' started by varalotti, May 18, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sorry for butting in, Sridhar !

A shrewd woman dons the role of stupidity through out her life on more occasions, than called for, for obvious reasons ! She is really stupid if she puts an end to it as soon as the honeymoon is over .
    I could'nt wait till the last episode is over, sorry for starting the topic now itself. May be we will " forcefully" continue after the last episode !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Words Of Wisdom!

Dear Chitra,
    Your words reproduced below give a precious lesson to all married women and should be part of the prescribed text for would be wives.

"A shrewd woman dons the role of stupidity through out her life on more occasions, than called for, for obvious reasons ! She is really stupid if she puts an end to it as soon as the honeymoon is over ."
    But should we not give at least some credit to the male sex? After a while the poor man finds out that his wife is not that stupid and that she feigns stupidity. It is at this time the woman shouts at her man even if the man were a genius like Albert Einstein.
    But if the man does not find out about his wife's role-playing, yes, it is prudential for a woman to fake stupidity throughout her marital life.
    When I was in college I read a literature book (forgot the author) entitled "She stoops to conquer." I think that title can be applied to the life of most of the women.
    Thanks for "butting in".
    sridhar

3. Chitvish

Its' me again, sorry !

Dear Sridhar,
    "she stoops to conquer" was by Oliver Goldsmith & my favourite as well.
    I think that title is self explanatory !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Now i am confused:? .....should i go around behaving stupid in front of my husband, and finally end up stupid or SHOUT at him for making me feel stupid/ or making me to ACT stupid....ahhhhh .....Come u two., Maduriites.......why cant a husband and wife just be HONEST with each other....instead of just pretend and role play etc....I personally feel it is all TOO much of a head ache!

And now i am really WONDERING about our heroine...wasn't this all about poor Kamala and me asking for a little more character and strength to Swetha....now i cannot wait to read the climax...
    Sridhar i wonder are you trying to pep up our interest in the last episode.....its like the ADVERTISEMENTS i have been watching on Sun tv, when they have count downs , before they bring out the ad....
    well anyway these topics are never ending and we are all still fighting to keep up our feminine rights or should isay Women's rights! There seems to be a discrepancy between feminine qualities as discussed above and THE WOMEN'S RIGHTS we are always asking for!

5. Chitvish

Hello Sudha !

Please don't BEHAVE stupid. Just ACT stupid ! Ellam chinna meenai pottu, periya meenai izukkara velai thaan.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

maybe not stoop, but bend or bow

Dear Sudha,

I think your point is right. It is better to keep honesty in a relationship. But once you are in a committed relationship after engagement or marriage, maybe it is kind of okay to stick to what Varalotti and Mrs Chitra say. And it will not be for long, husbands/fiances do realise fast enought what their women are capable of and actually feel proud of it. And then all is kosher.

A couple I know dated long before their marriage. And on their thrid date went to see the movie Cliff Hanger. The guy is all his goodness told his fiancee,'if you cannot follow the English dialouge, ask me and I will tell you.' The female was a bit wild (adangapidari type) and had the dhumki that she came from a family of English professors. So she said, 'and if you don't understand the dialgue, you ask me and I will tell you.'

Ten years back, I felt proud of her standing up for what she knew and her rights etc, now I feel she should have been a bit more mellow and soft. Fortunately for her, her husband is one wonderful guy, so things work out well for them always.

Sorry, I am losing what I started to say here. So shall get back on that soon.

ciao
    VR

7. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

You've done my job, Vidya!

Dear Vidya/Sudha
    I wanted to say something like that. But Vidya, you said it in your own inimitable style.
    Women are gifted with a kind of superior intelligence; they know how to lose a battle and win the war.
    However to present a balanced picture let me quote you an example on the other side.
    25 years back my cousin(lady) got married. I didn't like that guy at all. He was lean, and black. But that was okay. He looked thoroughly stupid.
    The morning after the wedding night I actually saw my cousin reading out the day's newspapers and explaining the happenings to her husband.
    Given my very young age at that time (any figure would lead to the ladies guessing my age) I foolishly thought that the marriage would not last for even a year.
    But that guy was one brilliant entrepreneur who just feigned stupidity to humour his wife. During the last quarter century he has amassed enough wealth, has begotten good children and above all adores his wife.
    As the Adangapidari (in the incident quoted by Vidya) he could have shouted "Do you think I am such a moron that I need you to explain the news to me?"
    He didn't do that.
    I now think what he did was a great act of sacrifice. His love was so great that he suppressed his knowledge and intelligence to make his wife appear wiser by his side. Hats off to that guy!
    This in men is an one-in-a-million golden exception whereas in women this is the general rule and the "adangapidari" is more of an exception.
    That's why Tamil literature speaks high of "madam" in women. The same Tamil literature speaks of women who have gone to the battlefield to fight for their men and their country.
    This feigning stupidity is the passing phase in the marital relationship. It's just the beginning phase. And if the husband does not find out that his wife is really intelligent but is only feigning stupidity, well, then he is stupid and the woman should not have married him in the first place.
    Now dear ILites let this not in any way increase your expectations about the final episode.
    regards,
    sridhar

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

remembered what I had to say

Dear Sudha, Sridhar,

Sudha, as I wrote earlier, I started typing and forgot what I wanted to say. It came back now. I think acting a bit dumb for a few moments is just an extreme act of love. When we play innanely silly agmes with children, be it Hide and Seek or Chinese Checkers (involving little brains), we always lose deliberately to let the child have her way and feel jubilant. Acting with madam for a spouse is another side of that.

But as pop psychologists say, you should not always lose out to the child since the child has to learn to lose, accept defeat and learn to play better. So, when the adult 'loses' it is only for a short, significant period. The same with spouses. Vittu pidikkanam.

And Sridhar, the adangapidari learnt her lesson cos her husband let her win for some time and then like a child got her to cool down.

regards
    Vidya

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  9. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Great Thoughts and great sharing.....i know what you are all saying since i am constantly doing this....ha ha....being in the field that i am in and always in the lime light i always pretend or act this way not only with hubby to make him feel superior but also with friends...i mean this when i say that i underplay my achievements always...not to mention a recent happening....I got an invitation to meet OUR PM from the embassy in Berlin and of course it was a personal invitation from the ambassodar(who happens to be a WOMAN) , with my name etched on it. Well i did not know what to do....naturally we hads made some plans for a holiday and though my daughter kept urging me to go to Berlin for this esteemed reception to meet the PM, no words fro you know who. And of course here is where whatever you guys have said came into play....i just told HIM to send a fax that will not be able to attend....and he did it also. Well a lot of my women friends and well wishers were telling me that i should have stood up and gone ahead alone etc etc...but like u all rightly said LOVE conquers and i justlet go ofthis opportumity and of course NO REGRETS at all....that explains how we women are MODEST; act Stupid and still carry on as if nothing is wrong all for the sake of LOVE and Harmony! so ...i guess restthe matter now....arent well such feminine egs for womanhood...ha ha...

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

hi

wow! Sudha. But maybe u should have gone to Berlin after all.