1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Beauty And The Brain - Episode 1 - Serial with Weekly Episodes

Discussion in 'The Beauty And The Brain - Serial Story' started by Induslady, Mar 11, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dependence, And That Too Blind Dependence.

Dear Meenu,
    You got it all right when you said that it is silly to depend on another person for your happiness. It is living in a fool's paradise. And they say it is sheer happiness to live in a fool's paradise until your rent becomes due. Swetha was in that paradise and the rent that is demanded of her, is her money, her career, and who knows, may be even her life.
    Now, meenu, don't try to lure me into the positive direction by saying all nice things about my writings. If Swetha's death conveys a message, as you said, it is silly to depend on another person for one's own happiness, then will not that story be a positive one?
    I don't want to commit one way or other. As of now I am also as tensed as you are. Let's just wait and see.
    Thanks for the nice words,
    Varalotti

2. varalotti

I Missed You In The Haunted House,Ambika!

Dear Ambika Ananth,
    I missed you terribly in the haunted house for you have been posting replies to all my threads, replies that do wonders to my ego. And you kept safely out of the haunted house. I did miss you and am happy to see you here as part of Beauty and The Brain (which part?)
    Master Story Teller, a treasure trove of novel ideas..... intelligent diversion... My God, What words. I wish you had said those words aloud in the presence of my wife and my mother. My wife would have enjoyed them and my mother would have believed them.
    Will try to live up to the high mark set by you, of not churning out hackneyed stuff and all.
    I particularly love the word 'accolades' used by you in your words of praise. I was reading the etymological meaning of the word, 'accolade.' When some one is to be knighted, he bows before the queen and the queen touches the person's head and cheeks with her sword. That touch is called the accolade. And the person becomes knighted thereafter and is called Sir So and So.
    In IL this translates into a beautiful metaphor. You, the queens of IL, have touched me with your sharp (s)words and have knighted me. That's a real accolade, Ambika.
    Thanks once again for those beautiful words.
    regards,
    Varalotti

3. varalotti

Let's Not Close The Options, Sunitha!

Hello Sunitha,
    thanks for those nice words. I have heard my mentor telling me that unless you are able to hold the hands of the reader and take her to the place where your story happens, well, there's no point in writing. While I am happy that I have filled this vision, at least as far as you are concerned, I am also worried, that this story has many sad scenes as well. At that time my method of description might even make you cry. But it's all in the game.
    You have a writers brain - you have summarised the options available to me. As of now, I am keeping both the options open. It could be either way.
    Thanks for your nice words and your participation once again.
    Varalotti

4. varalotti

I have an eerie feeling, Sharada!

Sharada,
    I always have this eerie feeling that you are able to outguess me and many times outsmart me in writing about the future episodes. So many times for the sake of other readers I have to maintain an eloquent silence, lest I should let the cat out of the bag and spoil the suspense for them.
    You have arrived at the exact chemical composition of Swetha. She is ARNf2. That is one part of Aishwarya Rai and two parts of Nafisa Ali. Fasten your seat belts and keep them fastened even when you are cruising. For I foresee a number of airpackets. Let me earnestly try to give you a smooth landing if not a smooth ride.
    regards,
    Varalotti

5. varalotti

A Breezy Ride In a Roller Coster, Chitra!

Dear Chitra,
    One thing I have learnt about stories is that they cannot fully be breezy rides, nor can they fully be roller coaster rides. Breezy rides interspersed by roller coasters should be the way a story is told. Though I had committed in the curtain raiser that you can't expect a fun ride in a tranquil river gently minding its business of running towards the sea, at times I may have to slightly breach the commitment. Well it's not a breach actually, the river gets turbulent at times. Thats all.
    And stories do reflect life. A Shakespearean lover, my English Professor in American College (I know you are also an alumnus of the same college) Rev. S.John Sahayam used to say
    "Life Is not a 'Midsummer Night's Dream'
    Nor it is a 'Tempest'
    But it is a 'Comedy Of Errors'
    Which you will enjoy 'As you like it'
    When this applies to lives of ordinary people like us it applies with greater intensity to the lives of celebrities like Swetha Patwardhan.
    You rightly observed that Swetha is without moral support. Well, Madam, I have taken your suggestion seriously. She will get a moral support in the very next episode.
    Thanks a ton for the nice words. Please stay tuned.
    regards,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Pre-Nuptial Agreements and Alimony Deals, You sound like a lawyer, Meena!

Hello Meena,
    'New Serial, new characters' I agree. 'a good start' I accept with an honest prayer that I should deserve that in the coming episodes. But 'new names' .. well I have to think over. Some of the names may not be that new. Let's see.
    And Meena you already sound like a lawyer talking about pre-nuptial agreements. They are the in-thing now in Hollywood where before a young starlet marries an old millionaire secures her future through him and then prays every day that her husband should die soon and liberate her. In Swetha's case it is a case of love to start with. In an emotional relationship like this Indian women are not gross enough to talk about their money and other mundane matters. But as you said rightly, after seeing Swetha's case, it were better if the women are also cut-throat and materialistic like men. At least women celebrities should do that.
    Thanks for complimenting my heroine "winning package". As she is born out of my pen, I feel as though my daughter has been appreciated.
    thanks for the nice words, Meena.
    regards,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

"Rakesh" and "Khan" - A good find!

Dear Kamla,
    About the oddity of the name Rakesh Khan is a good find. But such oddities are there in Bollywood. For example the dancer Helen married a muslim and became Helen Khan. Rakesh's father might be a muslim hence Khan. Rakesh's mother might be a Hindu and hence Rakesh.
    And Kamla the names the Bollywood celebrities give out for us are not their real names. I have my friend who has seen the income tax returns of some of the actors. Dharmendra's return comes under a difficult Muslim name. I wanted to create an oddity over there just to resemble the reality in Bollywood. Don't expect me to solve this 'mystery.'. My plate is already full and I have to solve quite a lot of mysteries.
    Kamla, I want the setting to be contempory and familiar so that when I come down with a bold new message, it will be easily understood.
    Many have pointed out the similarity between my heroine and Aish and between Rakesh and Salman. (I added a Khan to Rakesh only to remind you of Salman). But as the story takes speed all the similarities will wear off and you will be meeting characters whom you have not met so far.
    Thanks a ton for your kind wishes and thanks even more for being with me in this serial.
    regards,
    sridhar

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

All the Best!

Hi!
    Was nice to hear from you. The mention about the oddity of the name was only casual. Today's showbiz is surely an intriguing web. Just as one wonders how beautiful a certain Tamil or Telugu song is, one is quick to note that the singer is someone from Punjab and does not have an inkling about the language he is singing in! Ditto the actors! Almost every heroine who is mouthing the 'senthamizh' sentiments, one to ten, is only miming and someone else is dubbing for this Gujerati or a Irish-Bengali starlet!! All the same, I like it. Hopefully it helps to integrate our vast country?! ( Or is it only my Shangrila dream:))

I do understand when you say your cup is full:) You do seem to have a huge and discerning fan following here and one cannot please everyone! All the same, we are the anxious readers and will let you enthrall us with your ideas..whatever they may be!! Ofcourse, you will hear from us later!!!!

So, lots of fun for you .....and for us:)

9. varalotti

My First Books Are Out!

Most Gracious ILites,
    Happy to inform you that my first books of short story collections are out. Please have a look at the thread in this forum entitled My First Books Are Out
    regards,
    Varalotti

10. varalotti

3rd Episode Is Out!

Most Gracious ILites,
    Just now posted the 3rd episode. Please post your comments latest before Thursday. I will give a consolidated reply before Friday morning.
    Please remember your comments provide inputs for the future episodes.
    Happy reading.
    Varalotti