1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The 9 Words Parents Should Never Say To Their Kids

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Jey, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This article came by my pocket feed. Most listicles typically don’t have depth in the write up, but this one is different. A very well written article with a clear, simple and short explanation on why each of those words are anathema.

https://www.fatherly.com/parenting/9-words-parents-should-never-say-children/

Is there any you would add to the list? Any that you would contend?

Jey

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Jey i can think of some more but what pops from the top of my head is the word “hate”

i believe hate is too strong a word that is loosely used be it people, food, colors or chores that we are indirectly teaching them intolerence.

shut up.. communication is so important part of parenting and the way you tone shut up can cause a lockdown on the communicating part. asking them to shut up just because their views go against what you think or believe is not healthy in my opinion

don’t cry or stop crying— emotions need release. by asking your child to stop crying without addressing the issue. it is all about tones for me. maybe i know you are hurting or upset and crying is making you feel better, why dont you finish crying and then come and talk about it. maybe we can work on what will help solve the issue.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Anisu, Jey and sangeethakripa like this.
  3. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Shanvy “Shut up” is definitely an excellent addition to the list. Communication is so crucial in almost all settings in life and anything that inhibits that should be avoided. Good additions.

4. ranju5

ranju5 Silver IL'ite

I would add that the tone in communication is very important so always be aware of the tone of the voice you use whilst communicating with young ones and adults too

Jey likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Would contend most in the list as they are OK to say, and for the rest, while the words are ones parents should avoid, the reasoning in the article is silly and preying on the insecurity and second-guessing that is the scourge of parenting.

About "calling a girl bossy", the article says:
    A girl who is called bossy is basically being told that she shouldn’t take on the role of a leader. What is the supposed bossy girl doing? She’s being assertive.
    It is not so complicated. Some young children tend to be bossy, and this is more seen in girls than boys. Girls will keep at an argument or playground fight for longer than boys. If a child is being bossy, they need to be shown how their behavior harms them and others. Explaining this to a young child is hard enough, having to pussyfoot around terms and avoid the use of 'bossy' makes the task avoidably harder.

About "calling a child a liar", the article says:
    "The second problem with calling a kid a liar is that it completely misunderstands all of the incredibly complex intellectual milestones a kid has to hit in order to tell a lie — milestones that should, in fact, be celebrated."
    Seriously? Again, lying is lying. Lying is breaking trust. Trust takes time to rebuild. The child will lie, again and again, and the parent should continue to call out the lying, and keep reminding the child about its harmful effects. Any celebration related to any skills the lying needed confuses a child already dealing with many other challenges.

Our parents did not bend over themselves being politically correct when bringing us up. We did fine. Boys who heard "why are you crying, are you a girl?" did not get messed up, grew up to be considerate men. Girls who were told they should be more well-behaved and "have some shame", went on to rebel in their own ways. "Wait till Daddy comes home" kind of threats didn't forever scar our minds. Many of us who cowered in fear and dreaded the time Daddy came home : ) now live in households where Mommy is the bad cop.

I used to worry about what I said, and used to bug the better-half to similarly watch his words. From experience, I have learnt that there are some basic things I like to watch out for. One being 'compliment the effort, not the child.' This is easy. When parental pride swells the heart, watch your words. The opposite is tricky. When you are mad as hell at something the child has done, how do you discuss that with the child. Disassociating the act from the child can make the child feel he is not really responsible for the act. Don't call the lying child a liar? Or tell him what the term is for people who lie, and then, go into why he lied, how much it helped, and how to avoid? I prefer to use words that get their attention, 'liar' does, and then, use examples from everyone's lives to show him how lying is a short term benefit. And, save enough parental spirit and goodwill with the child for dealing with future incidents of lying. Those will come, sure as sunrise after sunset.

Anisu likes this.