1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

terracota jewellery ..doubts

Discussion in 'Jewellery Making' started by dimpy12, May 23, 2014.

1. dimpy12

dimpy12 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I have seen a lot of talented ladies here who have taken up terracota jewellery making and selling professionally .. I am trying my hand in this area too .. just as a hobby ..
    but I have few doubts regarding this:

1) I stay in usa and want to know which clay is used for making the jewellery .. not for practice but for professional selling.. I have been using DAS clay for practice..
    as for practice its good but I dont know if this can be used for professional making..

2) does the clay pendants and beads need to be baked before painting ..
    will they get discolored after baking .. how to bake ? please give me a easy method which can be done at home .. I have a convention and a microwave oven at home ..are they enough?

3) how to color the beads ? i try to color the beads by hand but they dont seem to be coloring completely ..it becomes discolored at some places

Please help me with your suggestions .. will be very helpful

2. sangeeG

sangeeG Silver IL'ite

Hi

I am not a expert in terracorta, but since you are in USA I would suggest you to use polymer clay which is easily available here.
    Polymer clay is light in weight and is easily available in different colors.
    You can get them.in Walmart, Michael's, hobby lobby etc.

These polymer clay are easy to work with and you need to bake them to harden them

You can do lots of complex designs with.polymer clay

Happy jewel making :)

1 person likes this.
  3. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

As SangeeG said use polymer clay which will be available in USA, you can bake this in simple way.

Make your own model and place this in a microwave bowl with water keep it for 2 - 5 min duration based on the model thickness and weight. it will get hard

DAS clay will not work for clay moulding and painting. don't try with this brand.
    You can search for JOYE Brand. in this pack they mentioned clearly as " Terracotta clay"

good luck if you need more input just ask we will try to help you our level best.

4. Nchinni

Nchinni New IL'ite

Hi
    I am new to this site. I live in michigan,USA. And I am looking for some suggestions to make terracotta jewellery.

1.I have researched a lot and I could not understand which nichrome wire to be used and where to buy in USA.
    2.chain making, I understood that we need to use gear wire,gear lock and back rope to be used. But where can I buy all those and is there any other way of making it.
    3.I am using acrylic metallic colours , do we need to use varnish on top of it?

Please let me know if you know the answers.
    Thankyou.