1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tenant Woes. Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by BS157, Mar 29, 2016.

1. BS157

BS157 Bronze IL'ite

Hi everyone. Need some advice.

Some time back,my tenant (who was also a good friend & colleague once upon a time) ran into losses in his business. So much so that he left me with a lot of his products he was trading in (stoles) in lieu of 6 months rent & elec.bills. Initially I didn't bother much because any business has it's ups & downs & as a friend I thought this was the least I could do to support. Plus his wife had some serious medical issues which obviously was also a big cause of concern for him especially with 2 school going kids .

What I didn't anticipate was the huge electric bills which had piled up for months (close to 82k which made me press the panic button). I had to ask him to vacate. Much as I felt bad doing that, but I had to consider my own welfare & peace of mind at the end of the day...... besides,being considerate had landed me in trouble.

While I could forego the rental portion of the receivables, I certainly couldn't pay the additional 82000 towards power bills out of my pocket. The only solution my tenant could offer was his stock which I could sell & recover . But now the question is since winters are over (though these are not specifically winter stoles,I use them in air-conditioned environment) , where do I sell the stoles & recover some of my money?

Any thoughts/suggestions/ advice?