1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tattvacha Prashna

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 20, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]What is that, did you ask me? Let me start by explaining that it is a very Puneri concept, which I am steeped in, having spent my entire early life and formative years in Pune. And though I might by default be a South Indian, by allegiance and sentiment, I am an out and out Punekar. I read, write, speak the language fluently and hold the Punekars with all their lovable foibles close to my heart [​IMG].

Well, coming back to the point. "Tattvacha Prashna" literally means a matter of principle. Now this is very dear to all the Punekars, since they are very principled people. Why am I off on this tangent this morning? Actually my domestic help (I shall not shorten her designation to the more hallowed DH for obvious reasons) has for the umpteenth time this month taken a day off. This time the excuse is someone in the neighbourhood has decided to give up the ghost. No suprise. If the choice were left to one, I would think any sane person in this country would choose to do so at the very first opportunity. Given the total lack of scruples, values, principles, morals etc., is it any surprise that one would be fed up of living?

I digress again. So my maid has not come. [​IMG] The problem is that every time she does not come, I am forced (by circumstances, not laziness believe me - I would do everything myself if I could) to call some alternative help. Which means I have to pay her. But dare I cut my maid's salary? NO, or there would be severe consequences to face. OK, so if I can't do without her, why am I cribbing? Are things so bad that what I pay the standby is pinching my pocket? No, there comes the crux of the matter. "Tattvacha prashna aahe" :exactly:. Why should I pay a rickshaw wallah a single rupee extra when he has not earned it? Why should I pay my maid for endless days of leave, when she is now making it a habit? Does anyone take any pity on us, the "educated, working" classes? One day unscheduled leave taken translates into no pay for the day at best. And at worst, well, I need not spell out the consequences - especially if these days are taken off without so much as a "May I" or even a "For your kind information only".

Sorry, my intention is not to crib about the maid. If I decide to do that, I could be doing it 24X7, and be able to do nothing about it - since one maid is as bad or worse as the other. Other than that I would have to shell out more money to control my sky-rocketing blood pressure :rant. My only reason of writing this was because I asked myself this morning "Why do I get so mad if the maid does not come? I do get alternative help who comes more than willingly (of course she will given that she gets well compensated for that) and my job gets done.":coffee Promptly my altar ego answered my question: "Yes, that is true. It is also true that the money spent on doing that is not so huge in the larger scheme of things that you should make such a song and dance about it. But ultimately "TATTVACHA PRASHNA AAHE".

So you see friends, here is an assal Punekar caught up in this situation where she has to turn a Nelson's eye on the principles that have been bred into her right from the day she opened her eyes and ears and could distinguish one sound from the other. And she has to chuck all her principles into the nearest [​IMG] in the interests of getting the job done.:bang Ultimately practicality has to triumph over principles. [​IMG] [/JUSTIFY]

Similar Threads
    1. psd1955
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. irshumd
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Satchi dear good and humorous thread, the situation which I think every one faces these days. I was not there for one month but when I went to pay my maid only for the days worked she was saying when I dont come also you cut my salary and when you are not there also you cut, what will I do. She was saying as it is you are paying less compared to others, but since you both are retired I dont ask you more and if you cut my salary for not working and then it will be difficult for us. So I had to pay the money.

Now a days maids have become like professionals. You have narrated so well , kudos to you

3. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

:)...I wonder why it is a RECYCLE BIN and not a GARBAGE BIN ????

Your fury must have subsided or been trashed in the proper bin now and not recycle bin, now that you have put them in words out (t)here!

I can totally relate to this frustration, not with regards to maid not coming but similar issues. Hubby is a 'tattvacha prashna' man too and I know how much a situation gets to him. But but but........kuch paaney ke liye kuch khona zaroori hota hain! I know it is easy said than done. Sorry yaar, I just don't know how else to help this situation, other than saying :iagree

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hey satchi,

kashala thumhi yeh thathvacha prashna karthos.? sagla thathva bhajoola kadoon tev !

thats as much marathi as i can recollect though it feels great to talk to a punekar. .:) just think of the present,if your work gets done nothing like it...and maids in India? Probably it is my age but nowadays I hardly react when they take leave..if she has the decency to tell me before hand she is still good ..:)

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting as usual Satchi! It's early in the am here and you got me thinking too...he, he!...you know thinking and moi are poles apart!
    I am not into the world of maids so have no "legal" stand to advice you...but here are my two pennies worth!
    From your previous posts I gather this "leave taking" is part of you maid's game. Every worker is allowed "paid leave". So would it be possible to tell your maid she is allowed a few days leave with pay (you determine how many days) and more than that her leave will be "loss of pay"! This will atleast give you some peace of mind. Of course it is a suggestion; perhaps you already tried this...and you maid did not agree, :)...they rule, don't they?
    Sorry am not much help; but I can lend my shoulders any time...

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

aye aye aye :notthatway:
    tumhi punekar faqt bom martat evda lahan prashanachi..
    tumhi punekar, mi mumbaikar!!!, sagla 'chalta hai' apne nagar mein...

ok, satchi, dont come behind me with a hatchel...I was just pulling a punekar's leg...

Born in chennai, brought up in Mumbai, living outside India, I feel myself lost...

Maid problems - have heard it from my mother, not experienced it as a married woman. so I cannot give comments other than nod along :coffee

7. satchitananda

Vijima,

One would love to treat them professionally if they behaved professionally as well. They want all the benefits of working persons, but not the responsibilities. Here I do not even contemplate cutting her salary for days when I give her an off. She won't accept a cut even on days when she chooses not to come.

Thanks so much for the lovely feedback ma.

8. satchitananda

Knot2share, I was hoping to get back my principles from the recycle bin, but after thinking about your question, I thought I might as well give up those hopes, given the way the things are going.

No problems dear, no one knows how to handle this situation. If they did, things would not have come to this pass today - everyone faces the same problem and is not able to do very much about this.

9. satchitananda

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup Mindi, nice to hear some Marathi from you. Do you too have a Puneri connection? You are lucky you don't have to deal with the nakhras of all these maids and hope you never have to either.

10. satchitananda

You know Kamala, you are right. May be that is just what I should do now. I am waiting to recover a huge chunk of advance she has taken from me. After that I shall refuse to give her any more and shall lay down my rules. I have taken a lot from her only because she doesn't have sticky fingers and I could leave the keys with her. And if she wants to quit, let her go to ****.