1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet And Sour

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Nov 17, 2017.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

They say it is a woman's prerogative to change one's mind. Well, maybe I can give myself the liberty of availing of that womanly benefit once in a while. So I am just about to forgive myself for thinking 'oh so sweet and funny' this morning and grouching at the BH 2 hours later vowing to myself that he is not fit to be talked to.

So sweet! I couldn't help laughing. "I was fast asleep and someone called" he said. I had to smile. There is always some reason or the other why the BH can't sleep well through the night. Today it was call in the middle of the night at 3 am. "What happened?" I asked. "From the hospital. They wanted Dr. Mohan". I am not exactly known for very appropriate responses. So instead of sympathising and tut-tutting, I just bellowed with laughter. The absurdity of it all. One night the man gets some sound sleep. He gets a call asking for someone he is not! This is not the first or the last time. Another time he had been woken up to be told "There is no pillow in the room. Could you please send up some?" The BH has his life (and everyone else's) charted down quite precisely. Only two criteria are required to define the quality of life one leads. "Did you eat?" "Did you sleep?" "Get some sleep" is the mantra all day long. The first question on returning from work is "Did you eat?" Really sweet, such concern, if you come to think of it but would you blame me if I find it funny too? Of course, one can't blame anybody for whom sleep is such a precious commodity if they think everyone who has half a chance should be catching their forty winks whenever possible.

Lotus seeds! Who told you they are lotus seeds? They are some kind of popcorn. That was the wisdom 2 hours later. The guy has never seen a lotus seed in his life. He never knew they existed. He has not bothered to ask Uncool Google. Still he has to pass a judgement as if he was born with all the wisdom of the world. But that is a prerogative of all guys and their mothers. So the lotus seeds I bought was a hoax, a fad, unhealthy snacking and the unfounded jokes were endless ..... and all because the grocery store from where I bought them did not have 'Lotus Seeds' printed on the plastic packet.

Well, I don't blame him. He did not get sufficient sleep at night! (So you know what I face everyday!) So I shall keep out of his way for a few hours. I know he will come after a couple of hours and ask me in a tone as if nothing happened whether I had anything to eat and I'll think again 'How Sweet'.

sindmani, mushroomm, Kamalji and 6 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

"Kaisa hai aab?" is the question I was asked at 2 a.m. in the morning from someone who called from India once. One other woman asked, "Can you please top off my phone?" Now I disconnect my phone next to my bed in the night and reconnect it in the morning. One of my relatives called me during hurricane Irma, "What is the situation out there?" and I replied, "It is just above our head now. I will call you after it passes". One of my wife's friend asked her, "Can you take some photographs of Hurricane Irma?"

Lotus seeds? Your husband should be brave to even attempt to buy. I have never seen one before. Only time I have seen a Lotus Flower is when I traveled through the villages in a dirty pond or when I saw the political advertisement of BJP.

Viswa

3. satchitananda

Photographs of Hurricane Irma???!!! What next?

upload_2017-11-17_20-45-33.jpeg

This is what they look like Viswa. Roast them and they taste just like popcorn. Supposed to have great benefits for the health. This is the first time I too am seeing them and eating them. They have a lot of fibre, so a few of them gives you a feeling of fullness, so said to help weight loss too amongst other benefits. BH did not buy them. I did.

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    I really feel sorry for your sleep deprived BH. Naturally one will get irritated when thy are disturbed during the forty winks.
    It is so sweet of your BH to enquire you when you return from work whether you ate.
    PS

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    So you also get calls in the middle of the night? It is too bad and good that you switch of your phone at night.
    So sad that you were unable to take photograp of Hurricane Irma and fulfill your wif's friend.

I have photographed Neelam cyclone when it hit Chennai two years before.

Here is the link
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nkr4pJsjCWFbi4Of2

PS

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Viswamitra likes this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Generally people who are deprived of something , they feel happy if better half gets it. He knows value of good sleep because he is deprived of it....so he wants you to sleep and eat well. Take it as a dialogue "I love you." Indian men, after middle age feel shy in saying "I love you".....hence it is replaced by "Did you sleep well ?" or "Did you eat well?".
    Syamala

7. satchitananda

:) Mami, the question is when he returns from work and walks in through the door!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. satchitananda

Totally agree Shyamala. Thing is I too have sleep issues. Very often I end up with say 3 to 4 hours sleep at night. So he pesters me to get a nap in the afternoon. Apparently research now shows that lack of sleep can cause many problems such as weight gain, inability of tissues to heal causing more pain ..... So, yes, he is definitely concerned.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Knowing very well she had no profound sleep, yet in the morning the moment I see her first thing ask "did you sleep well last night?" this is enough to keep her rejuvenated for the day. she feels replenished with energy! Thanks and Regards. God Bless Us All.

satchitananda likes this.
  10. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Here is the problem for husbands. If they ask they are damned if not they are damned anyway. If you ask - how was the day? The answer could be - what is it to you? A question answered by anther question like Morarji Desai. If you do not ask , the murmur could be - you care a damn what happens at home! You and your office!!
    During my working days I used to get calls at odd hours. One such was at midnight from Telco, Pune. The fellow minding the supply line to the production section was at loss to feed the assembly line for a particular component, of which we were some 20% shareholder. He said - Mr. Lakhera you are sleeping comfortably and I am awake, being taken to task. I told him I have supplied our part already. I am sure he must be making similar calls to the other suppliers also. At other time he would not agree to increase our share of business.

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.