1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Surprise gifts and me?!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SSC, Nov 11, 2011.

1. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

That was what my BF told me or rather asked me when I was bragging to him about my ingenuity with surprise gifts!!

Okay, let me cut the crap and get to the point! I somehow seem to suck at giving surprise gifts... Here were my experiences:

When I got my first salary, I ordered a nice phone for my BF as a surprise gift, through some online portal.. After a week, my order was still under process :bonk
    They hadnt even shipped out!

Result - > I couldnt surprise him for his b'day...
    ME: "Sweety, I'm so sorry, I couldnt get you anything.. " and explained about my order
    HE: "You are such an idiot! The actual cost of the phone is half the price you would have ended up spending" (Apparently, I didnt notice that)
    ME: Oh thank god! Anyways, I'm tired of this, you tell me what you want, and I'll cancel the other one

So I got his gift (a blackberry), and as a 'surprise', threw in a few T-shirts and shipped it to him! He ended up chasing the shipment for a month, finally paid extra duty (for the phone as he was in India at that time) and got it home!

Oh, and then for a valentine's day, I told him to expect a "surprise gift" from me and sent him an itouch! And this time, I did not goof up! When I ordered it, I put it in as a gift, and gave his email id, so that he can easily set up his ipod. And there, Apple emailed him, saying, "Oh surprise!! you have a valentine gift"! And he called me to thank me, and told me how I goofed up. Me, though banging my head, told him, "Ah, sweets, I engraved something in there which will be a real surprise for u.." (Proud that there is still something thats a surprise), and to my uttermost horror, he read out the engraving from the email! Witsend
    And I was like, "Now, how can Apple do this to me???" :bang Well, after all the drama, this one didnt reach him on time either! He got the email a week before valentine's day, and the gift a week after!! :rotfl

Relentlessly, on his next bday, I tried to send him a bday cake as a surprise, as I couldnt meet him..
    There was apparently, no shop that would deliver the cake at midnight in his town.. I chased/stalked his roommates and friends on facebook/emails and finally found someone to deliver the cake! :whistle
    But apparently, the friend does not celebrate bdays due to some religious belief, and ended up passing the cake through multiple hands, before the cake finally reached him and he cut it at midnight! (And in between, I had promised the friend that I want the cake to be on me, so I would pay her) My BF was so pleased with all my efforts for once, until I told him to pay his friend for the cake (Because I wanted the cake to be on me and not the friend :hide:), and he claimed that he will be the only person on earth, to pay for his own bday cake :bowdown. And to this claim, I had an intelligent reply, "Oh baby, dont talk about your money or my money, its all OURS", and my BF went, all :spin

After this episode, he made me promise that I will stop sending him surprise gifts, because it gives him heart attacks! Nevertheless, I tried, another time, to send him a 'Just like that' gift (a fall jacket), a month back! This time, i kept it a surprise, did all the right things - picked a good apparel chain, used the right card, express shipment, got a tracking number, and was waiting for his excited shriek sometime. But that never came! So finally, I told him, after awaiting a lot, that I had sent him something, and if he got it! Same old story repeated, and after a few heated emails, he finally got it 15 days late!

OTOH, he is pretty good with surprise gifts, and is quite successful in achieving the 'surprise' element! But I hope I get there some day!

Have you had such experiences?? Please do share them here...

PS : This is my first try at writing, after all those days of trying to write a book by copying the Enid Blyton novels word to word! :rotflSo please do bear with my experiments!

10 people like this.

2. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

SSC,

What a spectacular post :thumbsup! With no slight to Enid Blyton, your strive for surprise element on a birthday rivals the efforts of Famous Five and Secret Seven to work with stealth. Your innovativeness to achieve a perfect bithday bushwack is laudable! Infact the amusement in a birthday celebration culminates when it is time to unwrap the much-awaited collection of gifts. Couldn't resist laughing at your attempts to bake a flawless evening filled with fun..er.. fear not knowing what your BF has to face this time.

Brimming with candour, humour and wit , this post could be the perfect present you can dedicate to your BF this year. He would be elated that you have made him immortal with this post of yours in the corridors of IL and least to say stunned beyond words !

Awesome and refreshing post. Simply adorable with rich language , expressions and straight-from-the-heart. Ah, do peep into snippets more often for such delightful treats and I can assure you that your surprise visits here would always be welcomed with gusto and no fallouts.:mrgreen:

5 people like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Hey SSC...Congratulations on ur first snippet.:cheers..very refreshing style of narration...keep' em coming :)Totally loved it...:thumbsup
    Surprise gifts...I am in the same boat...Absolutely no luck.
    DH surprises me once in a while with gifts but try as I might I invariably goof up. The harder I plan the worse it turns out.At this point I dont even attempt anymore.

4. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Uttaraa for the kind words!

5. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

JAG, I was about to send you a PM, to check this one out, and there you are! Thanks, JAG! Yes, the harder I plan, the worser it is! To top it all, his surprise gifts would be bang on time, and he would tell me, with a smirk, "Darling, this is how its done!" :-D

6. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

SSC, Have a Coffee and see things will work out much better. hahaha!!!!!!!

Really funny post. Apple must be outsourcing "engraving Work" to some other country. Le tme tell you one thing, that is thought counts more than the gift, money and time etc.

Since I have been married for more than 38 years, let me give you a small advice. Don't make your marriage proposal online. Just surprise him with a iPad!!!! He will nevery say "NO"!!!!!

Excellent writing. very funny indeed.

CL

2 people like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

VEry hilarious post for your first attempt!
    Enjoyed all your attempts!
    Cell phones, to cakes to fall jackets...good.
    I like Cofeelover's suggestions ...very good idea I think:)
    Wishing you all the best.
    Hoping to see you here more often with your hilarious snippets.

8. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi SSC,
    That was a fabulous snippet as a surprise, striking into the hearts of ILs.
    Loved a lot.
    I was also very fond of giving up surprise gifts to my DH once. But gave up the thought itself unable to bear the surprise lectures of wasting money from my DH. But to my surprise, when I stopped giving surprises to him, he surprised me with an online order of cake, bouquet and sweets on my recent birthday as he was on his office tour, away from me at that time.
    Anyway better luck next time for your surprise gifts.

Regards,
    Latha.

9. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

awesome read... you must have gone mad.. or it should be he must have gone mad on gifts ;-)

10. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

SSC.. That was sooo hilarious.. I enjoyed reading it... I always thought we girls are good at throwing surprises.. By surprises I mean pleasant surprises.. :)
    Keep writing....