1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sun TV - Cry TV ??

Discussion in 'TV' started by Selvi, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Just 2 months back I got Sun tv in my house for my parents. I have been watching occasionally and was wondering how do these serials do really stay in the network?

Whole week its nothing but serials and in weekends its cinema.. nothing else.
    All serials are just so boring, so sentimental, so superstitious and of course there is not even a single episode without someone crying or yelling. I thought in mega serials only ladies cry, but found that children, men everyone cries. How do everyone keep watch this? My dad is a very serious follower of all serials, he is hooked to each and every serial... still I dont understand.

Is there any comedy serial or anything good in Suntv?

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

viewers also cry

Dear Selvi,

I also have taken Sun TV, Asianet and Kairali for my visiting mom. My vocabulary of swearing in Tamil has considerably improved. Not just Tamil, but Malayalam serials are also awful. Not just women, men and children in mega serials cry- we viewers are also crying.

Love to Vishwa.

cheers
    Vidya

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Selvi,
    you are right, Tamil serials are just dampners only. Not only Sun Tv, almost all the seials are like that. I used to watch Aadukiran Kannan and Metti Oli, they were very good serials. Now I don't watch any serials. First of all, most of the serials have characters which marry more than once, women asking much married men to 'keep' them, or unmarried girls longing for some man or other. The worst is, the wife herself makes her husband marry another girl for some reason or other. In one of the serials, the elder sister marries the father inlaw of the younger sister to avenge her. And the women have no other work than trying out various tactics to avenge someone or other.
    In Kolangal, even after a divorce by court, the character Abhi will be referred to as Bhasker's wife- whatever it is she is thottu thali kattina pondatti. How is this possible? Her youngest sister will make her husband marry another girl. And they will live in the same house. Women are usually very possesive about their husbands, they will never want to share them. I do not understand why such stories are televised and how these women are watching them. My mother used to watch all the serials and I used to get irritated as my elder brothers will also be present. I sed to tell her stop wastin her time like this. I was releaved when she called me and told that she had stopped watching serials altogether.
    There are some good programmes in Podhigai TV during weekend nights. Talk shows, live programmes with artists etc. which are very good. But the technical faults are dampners.
    We Chennaiites have to get a set top box to watch all good channels like Discovery etc. So poor us, we get only free channels, all Tamil channels, Malayalam and Hindi like Sahara One and Sab TV. I watch Sahara and Sab, old movies and some good serials (they repeat the serials in day time and only 5 serials at a time). It is a relief that they are not tear jerkers.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yes, varloo,how right you are!

These days almost all the serials have one guy married to 2 women.They are making it look like as though it is very common and an accepted norm in our society.It really irks me!!!:x :x

The serial you have mentioned is Muhurtham where the sister marries the FIL. That serial is 'the' heights ,I should say.The enmity the younger sister has for the elder one looks so superficial...It makes me wonder whether it is even possible.Now after the elder sister's marriage to the FIL,she has started calling her BIL as her son!!!:evil: YUCK!!! I really don't know what these people who write such serials think...are we fools!!!Since we are stuck with the idiot box,we have no other option but to watch whatever is served.

Most of the females are shown are avenging characters...true.Take the same serial.The younger sister adds poison to food served to children,plants a bomb in a car...can you even think of a normal woman doing such things..except in serials.Whenever that character speaks,she spits venom...why do we have to put up with such things.

The other serial,Malargal,which I feel is otherwise a good serial,has a MIL character who looks and speaks evil only.Whenever she comes on the screen,I feel like getting into the TV and killing her!!! See,see....they have succeeded in making me a 'villi' too!!!

5. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

I had a hearty laugh

Hey Ladies,

I simply liked reading this discussion. Though Sun TV turns out to be a cry tv, this discussion made me laugh heartily.

I too got the Sun TV connection for the sake of my in-laws who visited me. They were actually less bored watching all the serials from 11am to 10:30pm and the afternoon movie. Though we all feel crazy about these serials, my MIL was feeling bad that she did not have the choice to switch between Vijay, Jaya & Raj TV serials. In fact, whenever my MIL called my SIL in India, the height is...she was catching up with turning points (if there be any!) in the serials telecasted in the other channels that are not here.

Sunita,

Your message about them succeeding in getting you to be a 'villi' - I am really :rotfl .

L,
    Nila

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hey Ladies ...true, i too got this Sun tv , just to keep up with the tamil speaking background....but i wonder sometimes it is better to watchthe germany channels since i will anyway at least not understand them.

This Selvi and Kolangal, project Womena s role models....but i wonder if any sensible woman will ever lead a life these people are projecting.:tongue
    I get so bugged now , and i and my hubby just switch it on and try not to get angry or upset...but now it is getting on my nerves that i too feel like hitting someone or better still break the TV.:evil: ....it was really a pleasant change to watch these FIFA games which were aired at the same time...ha ha:p

7. manjunat

manjunat New IL'ite

sun tv -cry tv

hi all

my mom & mom in law are glued to the tv the whole day u know? then they didcuss the serials as if something is happening in our own family!!!!!!!!:confused: I really get confused when i hear their conversation from the middle about whom they are talking about. the seriels are only about revenge and adultary & nothing else. I don't know when they'll change this trend! I have almost stopped watching tv!

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Gratifying thread!

Yes, I feel avenged:) It is nice to see my sentiments about these senseless tv soaps being echoed by so many here!!
    Like many of you, I too got Sun TV last year when my mom was visiting us. Along with her, I too started following a couple of these series. What was fun in the beginning soon became an irritation. Now that my mother is back home, I have discontinued the Sun TV subs unable to watch the poor fare. But sadly, I do miss watching programmes in Tamil or Telugu languages. If in India, one could switch on to a different channel, we do not have that luxury here.

L, Kamla

9. Nandhita

Nandhita New IL'ite

Luxury of choice???

Well, we live in India and have the luxury of choice. But it really doesn't make much of a difference coz the serial watching family members are so glued to the serials that they get fanatic when you switch channels when they are watching serials, which is practically from 11 am to 11 pm. And so those others not really interested also end up catching glimpse of what is going on. The other good choice is to move away from the living room and engage yourself in something else, which I must say takes a toll on interaction between family members. Now there are two groups of members within a family, Serial watchers and non-serial watchers. These serial watchers are so involved that even when they visit someone, they don't mind asking the host to switch on the TV and start watching their serial. In fact, there is someone in my neighbourhood who became so famous coz anyone could call her till 12.30 midnight. Can you guess the reason? There was a regular power cut during her favourite serial telecast at 7.p.m., and she would remain awake late night just to watch the repeat telecast of the serial at 12 midnight!!