Summer vacation to India 2013....need help in India shopping

Discussion in 'Travel' started by gaivij, Feb 22, 2013.

1. gaivij

gaivij Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies
    I am planning to visit India in coming July. I will be going to Hyderabad(uppal area) and Chennai. I searched for existing threads to help me in guiding good shopping/tailor info for both western and ethnic wear. But i see all the posts related to this are very old. Please suggest me any latest updates

1. good shops for casual sarees/chudidars/kurtas/westernwear in hyd or chennai for reasonable prices
    2. good tailors ("who can return quick, as my vacation is 1 or 2 weeks in hyd and 1 week in chennai) to stitch blouses in hyd or chennai
    3. what other kitchen stuff i can buy from india which i dont get in US (such as muruku press, guntaponganalu pan,
    4. any other suggestions, welcome
    I am also planning to buy Pooja mandir. I see that they are too costly in Emporiums, as they are made of Rose/Teak wood. I am looking for something to give my pooja area, a divine look but does not have to be costly. Please suggest me any shops in hyd/chennai.

Thanks in advance
    Gaivij

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

2. mrunalini01

mrunalini01 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gaivij!
    Welcome to Hyd
    1) you can try at Shanti Extensiion in Dilsukhnagar area near uppal
    2) Habsiguda area I know a tailor who quickly and neatly stiches blouses
    3) kitchen things you can get it from Dilsukhnagar steel palace shop, where you get reasonable price also
    BTW I reside near Dilsukh nagar i.e., near to uppal area, I can assist if you need more info

Mrunalini

2 people like this.
  3. gaivij

gaivij Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mrunalini, Thanks for the quick reply.
    1. Thanks for suggesting a nearby shopping area. For shopping i can spend few days to go around hyderabad, not jus in Uppal. So pls suggest me any other best shops in few other areas too.
    2. sounds great [​IMG]. can you pls give me the contact number of the tailor...it may be real help, as i heard few of my friends are fed up of vacation jus because of the tailors.
    3. Thanks for suggesting place. I would also like to hear any suggestions on what else i can buy... any new and useful products in the market that makes my cooking or cleaning easier :coffee

Thanks for your concern Mrunalini...I may surely need your help.

4. gaivij

gaivij Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the quick reply Mrunalini
    1. Thanks for suggesting a Shopping area near Uppal. Please also suggest few best places around Hyd. i can spend some time to roam around hyderabad to buy fashion jewellery, clothes and few household stuff.
    2. Can you please give me the tailor's contact number. This is a real help for me. Few of my friends are pissed of india trip jus because of the tailors.
    3. Good suggestion. I would like to also hear some suggestions on what else I could buy....like any new and helpful products to shop from India that makes my cooking/cleaning easier.
    Most of all, Thanks for your concern...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  5. mrunalini01

Fashion jewellery ! oh you get it from none other than Koti. but the thing is the place will be busy all the time so that you won't find enough place to stand. So i prefer to get them from Chandana Bros / woman's world or any other local shops. If you have a gang of 3 or more ladies you can go to koti or begumbazar or near charminar to get a wonderful collections. I promise.

As far as new products for kitchen, you can check in the store at that time.

6. mrunalini01

Hey
    for puja mandir? you can get them near uppal area only.the road which goes to LB nagar to Uppal have many marble shops where you get lot of designs of marble pooja mandir shelves. you can enqiure in 2-3 shops then get the good one for reasonable price.
    I recently bought a pooja mandir shelf which has 3 compartments and a throne to main idol, small racks to store things. I liked it very much. It is pure marble wonderfully crafted. The shopwala said some thing like 3400Rs but I got for 2800 Rs.

7. gaivij

gaivij Bronze IL'ite

Mrunalini
    I am really excxited abt Hyd shopping after looking at replies. I will definitely visit Koti/begumbazar. Seems like you got a good bargain on the temple. If possible, Will you be able to post the pic of your poojamandir?
    Can you please give me the tailor's number or exact address?

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. gaivij

gaivij Bronze IL'ite

hi Mrunalini
    can you please tell me the width and height of the poojamandir, if u can not post the pic? I will get some idea

Thanks