Sumangali Prarthanai & Pondugal

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by mkthpavi, Mar 4, 2007.

1. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra Manni,

I have a small request on the pudavai kalam. I have seen the 9 yards saree (which goes to the daughter of the house), being draped on the pudavai kalam and looks like ambal sitting there, with jewels adorned. If feasible can you please post some pictures on how to do this drape, at your convenience.

Thanks a lot.

Gayu

2. vanaja

vanaja New IL'ite

Dear Chitra

My question regarding this is "when should the person conducting (I mean the in-laws, who should share the pudava ilai) eat? whether before providing thamboolam and dakshinai for the pondugals or after that??? Because, some says that we sould not make wait the swami also for a long time and so that ilai sould also be finsihed off early. Please provide correct details.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I have just written, what all I am aware of. It is possible for the woman who conducts to sit & eat, only after, providing thamboolam and dakshinai for the pondugals.If there is an advice for you other than that way or differently, please follow it.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chitra...

Thank you sooooo much for the lovely write up..Am going to do the Pondugal for the first time in the family and the tense part was it has not been done for the past 32 years now. And being the first daughter in law of the family I wanted it to go as perfectly as possible..at least perfect enough to make everyone happy. This has helped me so much...Thanks again :)..:thumbsup

5. umanu2716

umanu2716 New IL'ite

Hai

Your pondugal procedure is useful and I want to know about the SAMAYAL RECIPE OF WHICH some items I know

Like THANI KOOTU ,PITLAI If you explain the procedure how to cook

all your other puja procedures are useful

I am from Thanjur Dt

Thankyou

UMA:bonk

6. singingbird

singingbird Bronze IL'ite

wonderful ...thanks a lot chittu....

7. janaradha

janaradha New IL'ite

Hi,

I have seen your posting on sumangali prathanai. It really helps a lot to know more about the event. I have few questions regarding the same. It would be nice if you could explain more on that:

1. We are planinning to do sumangai prathana this month end. But my husband's periyappa family has recentlly performed sumangali prathanai (last month). They are stopping us to perform. As we have planned already and invited everyone, is it wise to stop it? If it's not adviceable to do two sumangali prathana @ the same year, how can we handle this? They are doing every year & are not inviting us. This is the first time we are initiating. Please advice us.

8. lathasekhar

lathasekhar New IL'ite

Dear Ms Chithra,

Sumangali Prarthanai details given by you is very helpful for our entire brahmin community, especially for new generation ladies. Lot of thanks to u. More n more details expecting from you towards our rituals in this site.

Thnks
    Latha sekhar

9. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chitra amma

I am going to get married in couple of months. i have never seen doing sumangali pooja in my house tradition. i am getting married to a naidu (its a love marriage) but i wanted to do sumangali pooja for the wellness of all the known ladies of mine.

i don knw about my PIL house, as of now they will not be much convenient to talk to me. can i perform it all alone. and what ever you have said, shall i perform and do the pooja.

actually i was searching all over the net for this, and i was very happy to see your post. really very happy. i read that to him also and he is interested and encouraged me to do it.

thanks a lot amma.
    need your blessings.

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Deaar Riya,
    The elderly ladies in your house can do it. No need to depend on your fiance's family. This can be done before marriage. It is done to invoke the blessings of all ancestors.