1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions For Saving Family Belongings From Sils

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by MKeerthi, Jan 23, 2017.

1. MKeerthi

MKeerthi Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends,

My DH has two younger sisters were married and settled in the same town where my parents in law belongs too. As our marriage is bit late in the family to avoid any chaos in near future my MIL made all the property division before our marriage.They gave those settlements to both daughter in written format. But for us, I meant in my husband name nothing got registered even the land bought with major investment from husband money is in my father in law name as my DH was in US by that time. It was said that what ever is currently with them( Parents in law) is belongs to my husband in the time of our marriage.

With that preface my MIL was a heart patient and due to ill health she passed away an year before.We are living in Bangalore as myself and my DH works here. My Father in law alone staying there in our home town.We both visit him once in two months. It was all fine till first death anniversary of my MIL.Now my sister in law started asking for their share in the land, they quote that they are struggling as their husband's earnings are not sufficient as the children gets grow. myself and My DH felt very bad as my FIL is alone there and they give emotional threatening to him, the claim the dividend provide was not equal to my husband. Only our home the ancestral property is added to us comparing to them, as my DH is only son naturally the home was marked to him. They started asking to give all the jewels of my MIL to them, which my DH feel very sentimental, so he says he will give the money equivalent to that value.Both my DH and FIL are very calm and understanding so they cant fight for it, they were sitting and explaining them again and again why it is this way.

Both of SIL are post graduate but my husband is just a Diploma he earned everything on his own hard work. he lost much of his saving in the name of business earlier, now what left us is only those property. My SILs are so demanding and its gets wider and wider every day. Till date I never said any responses towards this behavior to my FIL and SILs.

My MIL was very clear and she know the in and out of their daughter she was managing it till date. After her its getting hard for us. The pathetic fellow is my DH where he is little adamant in nature says he cant even scold his sister as they are motherless children. I couldn't much help and give up on this situation. above all they are stealing everything from our home which tests my patient , they have taken all the silver articles my MIL had and even vessels at home. This year for pongal when I gone they have gone taken the pongal pot which my MIL used for decade. My husband asks me not to create issue on this am am really getting pissed off.

I wish to handle is wisely without any issues. Please give us suggesstion

2. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Get the property share in writing.. No will but a settlement.. Retain one jewel for sentimental reason and give the rest in exchange for their signature as witnesses for the settlement.. I know, for a fact even if the MIL is there, all Gold silver pongal paanai iyachatti thengamoodi everything will be packed and parceled to the daughters... Sad but the reality..

sindmani, Suja9 and MKeerthi like this.
  3. MKeerthi

MKeerthi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks suasin for the response.

I agree to your points on settlement am pushing him on this regard now. let me hope for better results.

My MIL was very clever that she already parceled most of things without knowledge of my Father in law,like jewels my husband bought for herself and me(Future wife).

She had only few for traditional things, she was very rigid that even for our first pongal she used only her own and didnt touch the ones my mom gave to me. She advised(Ordered) me to use only that for every Pongal in future. I have enough things as most of my seedhanam were untouched. But I couldn't bear this act like stealing from my home when am not there.

4. Suja9

Suja9 Silver IL'ite

"pongal paanai iyachatti thengamoodi everything will be packed and parceled to the daughters"- aptly summarized Suasin :roflmao:

MKeerthi likes this.
  5. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Keerthi, there was this granddaughter who came and asked my cousin for a ring her grandma was wearing when the deadbody was still there.. That was the only thing the lady didnt give to her daughter.. Everytime the girl visits, my coz has to buy anklets, watch or atleast a water bottle.. She hides our presents to her D that might be 'useful' to the other girl..
    A battered silver shankh used for my coz's H was also asked for the granddaughters child..we were like, if you wanted, we could have bought a new one!! You really cant compete with the daughters of the house...

6. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Every parent (both mom and dad) should pledge to give EQUAL share to all the siblings no matter what their current financial situation is..This is MUST for them to maintain family peace and harmony among siblings later when they are no more..you never know a "loser" child may rise and a "successful" child faces unfortunate hardships in future...it should be like - you all got equal share, make what you can out of it..rest is everybody's destiny. If there is love and respect among siblings, they themselves with their own will can help and support each other...but if there is bitterness and enmity due to property issues, it will create a huge rift which is exactly all the parents dont want in the first place....

your SIL has no right on the land that your husband invested in, its your DH and therefore yours and your kids share which she should not poach.... your FIL should take the responsibility and make sure to tell them this is it..they got what they deserved..Who knows what tomorrow brings?? right now, they see your DH better off than them but what will happen tomorrow if God forbid, you have a setback (as you said he did in business in the past)...

In my experience, I have seen generally siblings who cry for finances, actually are way better off than more generous and genuine siblings...

be careful, take an informed decision and please try to make sure you are cutitng your losses..tomorrow cannot be guaranteed....

I wont worry about petty home stuff..if they took the pongal pot, tell her politely that MIL wanted every year to cook in that pot in the home to maintain family tradition..if she wants you can gift a new one from market..because it has sentiment value....if still she doesnt return its her Karma, she is going against her own expired mother...you tried best!

and yah one more point:

if your SIL children needs are not being met, ask your DH takes active role in making sure the kids future is secured but dont give them undue cash, of course this is after assuring your kids needs....help by putting direct money in stuff like paying fees, buying the needy stuff instead of giving them money...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    NeetaR likes this.