1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Suffering From Catastrophobia :-(

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by RashmiR, Jun 3, 2016.

1. RashmiR

RashmiR New IL'ite

Dear all,

Since the last year floods in Chennai, I am undergoing fear and anxiety thinking of another catastrophic event. Whenever it gets cloudy, I always keep watching at the clouds looking for signs of heavy rains. I am so mych scared of lightning and thunder also these days. I don't show it in front of my family as I don't want to scare my kids unnecessarily. I am always feeling depressed thinking of any catastrophic events like floods, tsunami or earthquake as people keep telling something or the other about the same.

Please help me in overcoming this problem dear ladies. Looking forward for your help and advice.

Thanks in advance.

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. svjm

svjm Guest

Go to a psychologist for counselling. Since it has been triggered by an event, it would be beneficial to have counselling for this.

Make an appointment and do the same.

All the best.

RashmiR and sindmani like this.
  3. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Why are you afraid? What happened to you during the floods? Perhaps you should get evaluated for PTSD, but I don't warrant the Dec floods to be that tragic to have you still feeling impaired after six months. Unless your circumstances were graver than the norm.

vaidehi71, RashmiR and sindmani like this.
  4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Stop thinking of that flood event. Please do some meditation. Counselling can help

RashmiR likes this.
  5. RashmiR

RashmiR New IL'ite

Thank you Sindmani and svjm. I was also thinking of the same.

@magician you're absolutely right. Mt house wasn't affected during the floods as I stay in 2nd floor but we had to evacuate as the flood waters reached shoulder level in our area. And I really do not know why the thought about rains or floods haunt Mr since then. I am really trying to overcome the same. :-(

sindmani likes this.
  6. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Go for counselling......foremost, think nothing has happened to you in the floods earlier, you are safe and able to sit infront of the computer and posted this thread......so have faith that nothing will happen to you in future floods also.....so many people affected by those floods, but you are safe, that means you are blessed....so feel positive and be confident......instead of fearing about floods, think what proactive measures can be taken to survive floods and how to help others too to survive.....

twinklingstar, RashmiR and sindmani like this.
  7. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Fear is a product of helplessness. If you equip yourself with the knowhow and the courage to face calamities, you will be able to overcome the fear.

Have you heard of exposure therapy? When you expose yourself to your fears habitually, their grip on you diminishes and you're better prepared the next time they strike.

First, try joining a self defense class. It will boost your overall confidence and improve your reflexes. Secondly, try looking at online or print media on how people coped and managed during the floods. There was a National Geographic documentary on the floods couple of weeks ago. You'll get to hear how RJ Balaji, Sid and twitter hashgroups helped mobilise resources. It makes you believe in the collective strength of humankind.

Good luck.

Off the record, I was stuck on the road for eighteen hours and when I finally got home, found my apartment flooded and the furniture in shambles. Had a nasty time with clean up.

And did I mention frogs?

vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. RashmiR

RashmiR New IL'ite

Thank you so much for your detailed reply @magician. Your words were really consoling. Let me really try the exposure therapy when it rains next time and start facing it.

@kcb I'll definitely take up your words and work out on how positive I can be going forward, in regard to this fear.

9. RashmiR

RashmiR New IL'ite

Lightning, thunders and rains again. :-(

10. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Are you feeling afraid?