Strange!!!

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by IndianQueen, Jan 20, 2012.

1. IndianQueen

IndianQueen Silver IL'ite

I encountered a strange thing here, I live in yishun and like all you others here in SG, we leave our slippers outside our apartment in the corridor. Yesterday early in the morning, when I stopped out I was shocked that one pair of ballerinas were missing, instead someone has replaced my slippers with theirs. I began to think it was someone old lady who did this by mistake. But again I think its a theft. Firstly are such incidents common and whom do we report it to as i don't see any security guard around here as well. But wait a minute wasn't SG supposed to be safe and secure? Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks again guys..

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi IQ,

Now that is an illusion people come to believe. I have heard of a lot of incidences that has broken this illusion for me. Just the other week, there has been two thefts in tampines area where it seems like the house was perfectly monitored for when the occupants leave the home for cosiderable time, and gold jewellary were stolen in broad daylight. this has been reported to the police, but no there is no media knowledge. I suppose this will never come into the media as it is preferred to keep the illusion of being very safe!! My own friend had her shoes and slippers stolen overnight, just like you, another had a bicycle stolen from the sports council very much under the cc tv camera's eyes!! the list is endless dear.

SG is safe to a certain extent, but it is better not to take it to our head that it is a perfectly safe place on earth, no place is that safe. It is better to safegaurd ourselves and our belongings and be a little proactive and alert about it.

I am not trying to scare you my dear, but i feel that generally we just have to learn that, back home or here, it is people that we are living with and people come in all forms.

2 people like this.
  3. IndianQueen

Ya right akhila, guess its better to safe guard our belongings, no matter where we are..

1 person likes this.
  4. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Yes Akila is right. My friend lost his brand new Skechers shoes when he left it in his shoe stand outside his house.
    Even one of my neighbours lost their bicycle and now a warning message itself is put in my block to be aware of bicycle thefts and to chain the cycles securely.
    So better be safe than sorry!!

1 person likes this.
  5. indianlover

indianlover New IL'ite

Hi,
    Yes its true. they call it BLOCK Shopping. Dont leave expensive shoes out in the corridor or hang expensive clothes etc. My mum use to say its the banglas who take them and sell it away, i dont know how true is that. But most of the people i know do not leave any expensive things in the corridor.

6. IndianQueen

Another quick update ladies, we went to mariamman temple in little India and bingo my hubby's new branded shoes goes missing.. Is there any other solution apart from leaving them in the shoe stand outside the temple?? Wonder how these thieves can rob shoes in a public place..

7. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

my my... guess now have to pray for our shoes to be present when we come back ;-) now jokes apart, i don't think there is any way to secure our shoes is places like temples. the best thing would be to avoid wearing new ones which are more likely to get stolen than used/old ones. I know, it is not possible for us to do it all the time, but if we are leaving from home to places where we are likely to leave our shoes outside, we can consciously choose to wear used/old shoes :)

1 person likes this.
  8. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

And definitely using the Shoe stands in the temples serves the purpose. The problem is, because of the crowd several things can happen, they can get stolen, they can be tossed here and there and can be worn by mistake by others.. For all these cases, it is best to avoid wearing the new ones as Akila said and the second this is to drop them only in the stands and not just in the open. It is a very small thing to do I believe.

9. IndianQueen

Well unfortunately both my pairs were lost when we had placed them in the stand itself.. :(