1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Statue Of Unity

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Cheeniya, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

2. Itsmylife143

Itsmylife143 Platinum IL'ite

Though I am against this still I will see some positive accept regarding this status of unity. Some years after People surely will talk about this statue like we talk about the statute of liberty.

pinkydarling likes this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Agree, but Govt allocates sufficient budgets for public welfare programmes. Also for defense, space, science sectors despite the fact that people are still living in poverty. Would you call it extravaganzas? They are for developments indeed. And within the allocated limits, it's fair enough for the govt to choose how it has to 'spend' the same (responsibly). Moreover, the majority of the project fund comes through public sector companies' investments. Think this way, in the long term this would generate continuous tourism revenue for the state, that which can be used for more public/urban developments (efficiently) in turn, and independently by the state. Just my two cents rupees. : )

Tourism Ecosystem Planned Around The Statue Of Unity.

Or 'Thiruvalluvar Statue' in Kanyakumari, TN! :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Itsmylife143, Rihana and GeetaKashyap like this.
  4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear kaniths,

The expenditure by our government on healthcare, primary education and such essential areas is dismal and it is far less than what the poorer countries like Bangladesh or some African countries allocate! Please watch this video

Although I am pro-Modi and BJP, I am against this kind of extravagance. The salaries mentioned in the article are ridiculously high! Today a fresh graduate has an average starting salary of around rupees 14-20 thousand in metros. Here for a tour guide they have quoted such high salaries, is it believable? Wouldn't all youngsters rush there?

Year after year so many farmers commit suicide due to failed rains and mounting loans. Wouldn't it have been better had they started a water harvest scheme or construction of canal like the Indira Nahar in Rajasthan or even canals like the ones Sir M Vishveshwaraiah constructed across Kaveri river making entire Mysore and Mandya districts fertile? The constant fights between Karnataka and TN, draught across Vidarbha region in Maharashtra or in other parts of our nation are all due to water scarcity. The government could have improved the conditions of many areas on a self sustaining mode. They could have named those projects on these leaders' names and millions of Indians would have prospered. If an Amir Khan or a Nana Patekar can form organizations and help villages of Maharashtra to survive repeated onslaught of droughts, can't the government take a cue and do the same on a larger scale?

It is these thoughts that makes some of us question such colossal waste of money. Aesthetically speaking, the statue is nothing to boast of. For small ego gains, a large majority of developmental activities have been sacrificed by our successive governments.

Mistt likes this.
  6. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

It’s high time our country stopped putting its focus and finances on building tallest statues and renaming cities. A country that lacks basic infrastructure cannot afford to build a expensive statue. Use this money to repair roads, develop better public transportation , sanitation projects, public toilets.

7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

@GeetaKashyap Hmmm I think you kinda missed my point. :wink1: Never mind. Appreciate your views, Thank you. :beer-toast1:

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Some random thoughts:

1. There are many historical structures that we are proud of and claim them among the achievements of India or signs of its past splendor. Were those constructed when there was no hunger and poverty in the land?
    2. We proudly thump our chests and talk with pride about India's nuclear program and its achievements. Was it fine to spend money on those?
    3. Govt. allots money for sports and culture. Is it fine to spend while some are struggling for one square meal a day, clean water and proper toilets?
    4. Hunger, poverty, disease and other problems will always be there. Should spending on some things be frozen till more dire problems are completely solved?
    Spending $74 million on Mangalyaan is OK? Investigating Mars when so much in India needs attention?

Hosting Asian Games was OK? The very young will not remember that moment of India's glory.

Response to the random thoughts in words, not links to more articles will be nice to read.

Itsmylife143 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

There will always be some positives and some negatives. It would be nice to have a clarification. That way I/we can get to understand your POV.