1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Stalling For Everything

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Bubbles, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

Does anyone have any tips on best ways to handle a 3+ year old who stalls a lot?
    We always run late to preschool in the morning (and everywhere) because of this behaviour.
    She is independent, and I let her do things herself. The problem is the stalling... LO takes her own sweet time to do things, frequently getting distracted and carried away as she explores and plays. I understand what is happening, but I need to get her to school on time, and can't afford to spend 2 hours everyday yelling at her to do the next thing. And that's the thing - now she does not move on until I come and frown/yell at her.
    I hate the yelling. It stresses both of us out. And I'm sure its a bad fix.
    I've tried setting timers on the phone and on the microwave/tv to get her moving. However, it's too complex for her vs. a simple countdown. (Hmmm Should I record a countdown in my own voice???:grazy:)
    I've tried charts to strike off/check - she loves them, but she still stalls.

What do you do to get that little baby bum moving?

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I don’t think a 3 yr old can fathom the concept of time ( or my kids were slow learners lol). I started with the time concept more around 5 yrs. Practice getting ready on time during low stress situations ( heading out to park/ mall/ friends), rather than busy morning times. Then slowly transition to getting ready for school.
    I admit I still have times in the morning where the younger one decides to start reading a book when I am pulling my hair out.

3. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Have you tried counting to 5? My son gets distracted too, and when I need him to hurry up, I start counting to five - telling him he has to finish a task. For example, if he's slow to get around to the dining table to eat breakfast, I tell him he needs to be there by the time I count to five. I give him simple instruction to finish all his food - sometimes sitting by him while he eats, works better to make him finish in a timely manner.

Some kids are motivated by chore lists. I have a list of morning tasks (with pictures), that my son has to finish. As he finishes them, he earns a star each day (that's his prize), which he cashes in for a weekly surprise (doesn't have to be a large surprise). It doesn't work every day, but it's a pretty solid way to keep him invested in completing his tasks.