spending ratio between the working couples

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by tanmayi, May 14, 2008.

1. banujaga

banujaga Gold IL'ite

hi

how do you plan for a 2 month grocery purchase? i have been trying to do this for last 1 month. do you have a list which u can share?

2. hat

hat Bronze IL'ite

Friends

This is what we do:

Day-to-day expenses: from my account
    Big-ticket items like buying house/ground/going on hols, etc: my husband's account

It has worked out very smoothly till now, touch wood:)

3. justamom

justamom Senior IL'ite

Need a help from you guys.. I am really not sure whether this is a financial issue or relationship issue.

Married for 13 years. Worked in India for 3 years. Then took almost 6 years gap to take care of kids and husband moving onsite. Then after kids started schooling, with great struggle found a job here and worked for 3and half years. Now because of some visa issues I couldn't work for past 7 months and this will continue for next 6 months. So at present I am not working.

All these years husband managing the finance. I have a card which I use for grocery / tickets etc. But husband manages the account online. Given my mom 3L in total apart from that bought sarees for my mom and 2 sisters twice a year.

We dont have a house yet. Yesterday in a conversation mentioned him I couldn't even think about retirement as we are yet to buy a house and pay the loan. He said " i am against buying house with a loan. Anyhow we will buy next year. But you are the one going to destroy my peace of mind". I said you should have taken my advice and buy the house 13 years before. We would have paid back most of the loan. Or if you chose to wait for 13 years you should have saved money to buy without loan. You can't simply blame me.

He replied back in that case you have to give 50% of house price. Bring 30L now. I said i have earned and gave you for 7 years. Take from that. He said you dont have that much money in your account. Go and do your calculations. You spent all the money you have earned. I never took 1 paisa from your money.

Did a simple calculation I earned around 80k in these 3 and a half year. Have 10.5k in my account with which I need to pay 1200 everymonth to my sponsor for another 6 or 7 months.

I said ok i dont have enough money to pay for my contribution. I cant afford it. I will never talk about house again.n. even if you buy i dont want anything from that house.

So I have nothing now. What would be ur suggestion for me once I get back to Job? So scared about future.

4. justamom

justamom Senior IL'ite

Is this normal in married life?

5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

You have been married for 13 years; this is a relationship issue.

PS: This thread is old! You might want to start your own thread.

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, How is your relationship with hubby? Is he forthcoming about money matters. Are all accounts in joint name. Reason why I asked was the relationship tone makes a big impact. Tomm if he invests all money in a venture without your knowledge what will you do.Always keep an eye on all money flow. Better be safe than sorry. Is he reliable as a husband. If he is, then all wud be in joint name.Think about this. Good Luck.

justamom likes this.
  7. justamom

justamom Senior IL'ite

We dont have joint accounts. But he is taking care of both accounts. He is reliable but recently he started talking like your money my money etc which I dont like.

8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, Get all accounts in joint name . Ask husband to do it asap or else u wont be spending on household. Be firm let some bills go late if possible. He has to get a message.If he says my money, your money then there is something fishy going on or about to happen. Why did you not insist joint in the beginning. I have a feeling he is bleeding you dry in name of savings.Do you have joint properties ? How all this came about?Some background will be helpful.Good Luck.

9. LisnaFernandez

LisnaFernandez Junior IL'ite

Joint account is one of the best solution. While always thinking about the positive sides of the relationships, Money is something that always matters everywhere. Conflicts arise in the name of money can drag an argument to a worse condition. So just as a precaution, it is better to start a joint account and put the savings money in it.