1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speaking the unspoken words..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Lavsri, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Lavsri

Lavsri New IL'ite

It was the spring time in Houston, the year was 1998. Less than 2 years since I set foot in US after a super fast marriage followed by a baby who was 8 months old. My life went from the free spirited career woman to a overwhelmed mom in an alien world.
    Talk about an avalanche of changes...

Things started looking up and my husband was in a new job, I had my new licence and my baby was 6 months old- for those who have had kids, you know its the time when they are out of the 3 hr routine but still immobile. A perfect time for the butterfly in me to explore and be independent. Ofcourse I had the car and license to roam.

This was a time when all our friends were scared of highway travel..so I told my friend who has a kid that I will bring my car and we can go to the mall. Reaching her house was a great feat and all the accolades about my bravery( driving with the little one by myself) was definitely making me get high on freedom.

My husband was travelling that day so that afternoon, we decided to go with the plan of visiting the mall. It was then she realized she did not have the car seat so I offered to pick it up from her husbands car. I was so thrilled at the whole outing, I started heading on Westhimer( the long lane with tons of lights) towards Galleria, this was already lunch time so there was bumper to bumper traffic.

The afternoon plans were perfect and it was playing in my mind, shopping followed by yummy chat at Hillcroft( an Indian adda) with a best friend. As i was driving along the road an urge to listen to ARRehman overwhelmingly attacked me to make it more perfect.

That was all I remember before I heard a loud noise with white gas like substance in front of me and a huge halt to the perfect drive...
    Yep I had hit the car in front of me...My hands were shaking, and for the next 5 mins, I was inside the car frozen....the rest of the events are a blur except that my friends husband drove me back home. The car was towed ...
    I remember calling my husband about it but I did not hear anything other than instruction on what to do.
    Now alone in my house, all the implications and risks I took started running again and again like a broken record...under 25 insurance hike, what if my daughter was in the car, how much will it cost, what will happen to my licence, what if something serious has happened...all for a few hours of fun....:hide: :bonk :drowning
    The worst feeling was the fact that my husband had not said anything, this was 1998 so not much connectivity as now..I was all prepared to hear a good blasting from him...
    As the time of his arrival came closer, the faster all my excuses were playing...on and on..

It was 7 pm he took a cab home, he rang the bell and as I opened the door I saw this single red rose( bought at the airport). All the hugs I wanted, the comfort words I was seeking were all trumped by that single rose which spoke more that what he could have said...
    All I had were tears streaming with the biggest grin on my face...

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Lavsri

I LOVE this story - it is candid, entertaining, heart-warming, and so well-written. I especially appreciate the absence of flowery language, unnecessary big words, and exaggerated emotion. Your narrative style is excellent, as is the composition. You've given us a good background without boring us, and the ending is just as evenly paced as the rest of the story. It's made my day to read this, and I'm left thinking, "What a lucky wife, and a what a lucky husband".

Thank you for sharing - it's great to read about little moments like these that can make marriage a heaven on earth. I look forward to reading more of your writing.

3. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

wow what a husband. i am sure i wouln't have reacted the way he did.

your fantastic narration shows the inner you & I am sure that he loves and adores that, how else do you expect him to react.

4. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Lavsri

Superb narration!!! Have to say you and your husband are a blessed couple:bowdown. The understanding you guys have, shows up clearly , when it was in high demand (i.e when the accident happened..)

So nice of your husband to get you a rose..and nice of you to realise how bad things would have gone...

keep sharing more!! love to hear from you:hiya

5. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Hi Lavsri,

I am jealous. My husband would certainly not have reacted like this.

BTW, what do you mean by under-25 insurance hike? Does 25 refer to your age at the time? Sorry, just confused!

6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hi Lavsri

Very nice write up and enjoyed reading it. Could very well imagine the relief on your face when you saw your hubby with the red rose. Sweet!

Keep writing more.

7. Ajith

Ajith Silver IL'ite

Enjoyed reading your post. I hope you are whizzing down the NC freeways nowadays. Your husband is great, I wouldn't have behaved like your husband.

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Lavsri -Your story is very well written. I enjoyed reading it. It made me nostalgic(Drive on Westheimer and the Hillcroft chaats)...

*Added - Lavsri since you are new, you are probably not aware of the contest for the month - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/t...73457-flora2000-contest-for-october-09-a.html. I'd love to see your entry in it. I would have requested you to submit this story as your entry into the contest but the contest entry has to be about flowers you expected but did not receive.

L

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  9. ravali21

ravali21 New IL'ite

Good narration in a well written and I enjoyed reading it it the last word.. and a grat husband too :)

10. Lavsri

Lavsri New IL'ite

Yep I was 24 so the insurance premiums are more higher for under 25!