1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

South Indian Mamas And Mamis-past And Present

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, May 20, 2017.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @satchitananda Sats

Generally, it was understood that Mambalam means the area on the right side of railway track facing Tambaram and T.Nagar on the left.

A a little girl, walking the streets of Mambalam to school, the phrase, "En..nna setha varelaa?" was very common to hear every day. The houses were directly off the street with the typical "thinnai".
    Some days I would hear, "En...nna indha tiffin boxai marakkadhel". And on the three day quarantine I've seen many a lady giving cooking instructions to their husbands, " kariayardu, seekiram erakkungo (food is burning, remove it soon)", "uppu potella? Vasanayey varaliyey! (have you added salt, I cannot smell the food at all)" and such scenario.

My music class was in TNagar. TNagar to me was very cosmopolitan compared to Mambalam. The homes were huge with large compound walls. Celebrities lived there - I used to walk past N.T. Rama Rao's and Rajaji's home in Buzullah Road. The roads were wide and very quiet. We could hear birds as we walked under the shades of trees (referring only to Buzullah Road). It was also the shopping center - Panagal park, Ranganathan street, and cultural center with Vani Mahal, and Krishna Gana Sabha that I recall.
    So hearing such day-to-day life conversation between husband and wife in TNagar was nil.

Hence my statement.

satchitananda likes this.
  2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Hmmmm next time put it as 'West Mambalam' we ll 'auto understand' your statement without detailed follow ups! ;) Update your 'mamipedia', now nanganallur, adambakkam, madipakkam, velchery, ambattur have all made it to that list since #y2k! :yum:

3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Jaya Mam(i), Snippet besh besh! Enna suvai! : )

Amica, joylokhi and Doree like this.
  4. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jayasala amma
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and laughed a lot. It is like Mami's in Facebook Vs mami's in adduooangarai. Amazing snippet amma and I loved it
    Vani

5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Kaniths.
    Jayasala 42

6. jayasala42

Thank you vani.

jayasala 42

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Oh yeah?
    I deliberately omitted the "West" just so I can write the detailed followup. I enjoyed it immensely as it gave me a chance to indulge in some of my own nostalgia.
    Mambalam will always remain Mambalam to me, no east or west! ;);)

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Amica likes this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Ma'am for yet another glimpse of your life in the 50s.
    Having been to Srirangam many times, I could visualize the gossip in the outer prakaram and kollidam. My mom is closer to your age too and she too is an early riser finishing most jobs before the hot Madaras sun hits.
    - Such a nice way to live. In fact, electricity has ruined our biological sleep cycle whereas before electricity we would rise and set with the sun.

That's wonderful ma'am. I always had great admiration for women who did not care about their looks too much but were very forward and "modern" in their outlook.

9. Doree

Doree Platinum IL'ite

ha ha really enjoyed reading your snippet. .Last time I heard Maamis were auditioning to participate in Vijays movie seemantham scene. Enjoyable time for Maamis now

10. jayasala42

Dear KKrish,
    Those days were really wonderful.We didn't have even the basic necessities.There was no bed room concept.All children were sleeping on mats spread over pyols( thinnais).Were forced to get up at 5.30 daily.There were at least five cloth swings made out of sarees for young infants,hanging in various parts of the hall filled with odour of kids' urine.Children were kept free,no worry about diaper rash.Can never forget those Saturday Sundays-the entire day was spent in the outer prakaram of Akilandeswari temple.We used to spread all our records ,draw graphs, images and diagrams with nobody in intervene in our concentrated endeavour.I had a small desk-kanakku pillai table,.That practice continues till date.It is very convenient to sit on the floor,keep papers on the desk to write ,with relevant materials kept around us on the floor.After 70, my legs start swelling if I use chair for a long time while writing articles for journals and magazines .zameen is very comfortable.The snippet ,though dealing with mamis has really kindled my nostalgia.
    Jayasala 42

Amica and joylokhi like this.