1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Song from Rani's new movie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by foxybeat, Sep 18, 2012.

1. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

I went into coma as soon as i played this song........

Even cabaret dancers from old movies were decent compared to Rani in this song.:bang Witsend

6 people like this.
  2. itsjustme

itsjustme Silver IL'ite

Hi Ranchu Russell Peters comedy is not just based on facts alone , there is a little bit of exaggeration and spicing in certain things.. If I go to the extent of explaining with examples, I might get banned...:)

The song of course is a bad portrayal of Movies in the south, I agree,(considering the fact that Hindi accent is acceptable in songs in the South film industry , but the other way is never accepted, thus many talented singers not getting more attention) but we have similar songs with vulgar lyrics as well.. I don't know if you remember the song from Thirupachi,"appan senja thappilla"...in which a certain line had to be censored ... And similarly ,thanks to the Malayalam soft **** industry, Kerala women also get stereotyped..

Of course no one can light a candle upto Disco Shanti or Silk Smitha. They were toooo good. Rani and Prithvi were trying to do a funny imitation,,,I guess this song is more of a "spoof"... Lacks the classiness ...

And by the way ,you can quote me whenever you want to.. All I want is not to be misquoted or misinterpreted, if you know what I mean :):)

3. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Wow, so Rani's song has now pulled Russell Peters into the discussion too?? Cool!! :thumbsup

IJM, Russell Peters is a standup comedian and he does what any standup comedian would do- poke fun at the people around him. Even then, he doesn't stereotype a certain community with his comedies the way Bollywood does with South Indians. And coming from an Indian family (or Anglo-Indian to be specific), Peters can afford to poke fun at fellow Indians by imitating their acts. Most of the comedy he makes are based on incidents that happened during his childhood and with people around him so yes, he knows what he's talking about and we can laugh about it because, we too know that such incidents tend to occur in most Indian homes.

But what Bollywood does is a complete contrast to what Peters does. Just look at what SRK did in Om Shanthi Om and Ra.One? Wearing flashy clothes to mock Rajinikanth (OSO) and eating spaghetti with curd to portray a Tamilian (Ra.One) are just not done! And yes, why try to portray a South Indian when you (I mean SRK) know nuts about us? Why make us look like a Joker for the simple reason that you (I mean the stupid Khan again) are far too lazy to do your homework?? And now there's Rani's song where it seems to again portray Tamilians in the wrong light. In all their lives, have they not seen how Helen, Zeenat Aman and Parveen Babi act in item numbers? So why is it that they have to quote only Tamil cinema and Tamil item girls? And why should we be laughing about it?

Seriously, I've lost all respect on Rani and Prithvi. In fact, like Fencesitter pointed out, Prithvi does look like a hero acting in Shakeela films- that stupid vest he's wearing look like a tube (from the back) that item girls wear in cheap songs. And this is the same guy who said, "I begged the director of Ninaithale Inikum not to give me a song like Mere Piya because audience have never seen me dancing for such numbers" What a joke!

Btw, you said that Malayalees are being stereotyped in Tamil films. Yes I agree. I hate it when Vivek tries to do the Kerala comedy or poke fun at Malayalee girls because I seriously don't find anything funny in them. But like Ranchu pointed out, there have been a drastic cut in the number of such comedy scenes in Tamil cinema for the past few years. That's probably because Vivek is now more content in portraying feminine roles instead ;-) And yes, if you find that Malayalees are being portrayed in a bad light in Tamil cinemas, then please protest against it and demand a public apology for it. Don't take it lightly or laugh about it or even say things like "what can we do about it?". Because you can do something about it. In fact, the Run song you quoted (Theradi veedhiyiL dhevadhai vandhaL) did receive a lot of flaks for the lyrics on Kerala girls and eventually, they had to mute the part whenever the song is played. So things can be done to rectify the wrong portrayal of people in films. The question is whether we take steps to do it or not.

5 people like this.
  4. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

Please leave russel peters out of this discussion! He makes fun of everything including his parents.

1 person likes this.
  5. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

since movies have quite an influence on the general public, the 'mallu' implications aint jus limited to the movies. even in college mallu gals are called 'omana kutties' and other such nonsense and there are subtle implications of them being 'easy' or available. due credicts to shakeela.

been there.

1 person likes this.
  6. celia17

celia17 Silver IL'ite

That song is disgusting to watch...rani, for her age should not have dressed and danced like that...completely stupid....
    even prithvi raj looks like an item number in that song...

7. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Exactly .. This is what I meant as the "Side-effects" .
    Similarly now seeing this song and the scenes from Ra.One / OSO , north-indians are going to be developing a pre-conceived idea about South-indians.
    - South-indians wear flashy revealing dresses
    - South-indian guys are ALL dark in color
    - South-indian songs are ALL with Vulgar lyrics and they enjoy them as is.
    - south-indian songs are ALL folk songs like this one .
    - South-indian girls all fantasize their crushes like this song.
    etc etc...

3 people like this.
  8. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

IJM ,

No this is not a "Spoof" , its a total , shameless mockery .
    I dont know if you have seen a movie called "Thamizh padam" starring Mirchi Shiva . That movie is a spoof. because they laughed over themselves. They depicted various old tamil movies and brought the funny aspect of it.
    That is spoof and yes we really LOL-ed a lot seeing that movie.

This song is not a spoof !

4 people like this.
  9. itsjustme

itsjustme Silver IL'ite

I quoted Russell Peters , as he makes generic statements like Indians are cheap , India is smelly etc etc..And we have a good laugh when he makes such jokes:)

What I felt was should we wait to be so vehement till we are being made fun of? And both Bollywood and South Indian movies are equally to be blamed..Or should I say media itself? On a serious note, certain sects of the society are being stereotyped when it comes to portraying anti-social elements in movies, which is pretty unfair. Shouldn't we be raising our voices against that instead of raising our voices against being portrayed as dark skinned (which I don't understand why we need to be sensitive about.) and wearing flashy clothes etc etc

10. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Hey!!! i think am the odd one out here......................i am lovign this song....absolutely.:hide: .........very entertaining and catchy tune/slang. :hide: again.

vonnu, rennu , moonu, nanu :rotfl...okay back under chair :hide:

movie showing on oct 12...eager to watch it. check the trailers out....its funny.

Russell Peter....i dont like the 'comedy', 'cemedy' he thinks he makes even a bit.

Wow. Onam Kutties...i dint know its an offensive word, i thought it is some kind endearing way people from traditional malayalam families used....even i refer to kerala girls as onam kutties. ... i should stop it then.

2 people like this.