1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Solid food - quantity

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by showmemiss, Jan 4, 2012.

1. showmemiss

showmemiss New IL'ite

My DD is 6 months old and I have just started her on rice cereal 1 tbsp. US moms please tell me how much can you give the most in tbsp for babies her age and how often are you giving?

What about purée? Anyone have avocado as first foods? Usually, it is uncooked so I am worried.

How many tsp of purée do babies take her age? I am following the 4 day rule before introducing new foods.

2. showmemiss

showmemiss New IL'ite

3. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi ShowmeMiss,

I used to give Avocado as first foods. My son liked it during 4th , 5th month. But then when I started on other Veg/fruit purees, he dint like Avocado.

About quantity, by 6 months, your baby should finish 1 Gerber Stage-1 puree box (i believe the pack comes as 2 , just aim for 1 now).
    With Rice cereal you can aim for 2 tbsp or as much the baby prefers to eat. Go by the hunger of baby.

4. dimple123

dimple123 New IL'ite

At 6 months, millet, brown rice and single grain cereals, rolled oats/oatmeal.winter squash and sweet potatos.Raw mild fruits are papaya mango pears. I gave banana too.
    the serving size is 1 or 2 tablespoons or half or one food cube. cereal should be 1/4 or 1/2 cup. water around 4 ounces with meals.
    Avocado is given at 7 months and given raw like banana. mashed ofcourse. If you gave it to a 6 month, i dont think there is any harm.My baby is 7 months now.
    I would advice a book called super baby food by Ruth Yaron.(check the library if you dont see it in the bookstore ,its very very helpful)
    32 ounces of formula or 5 times a day of breasfeeding.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012