1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Small Water Irrigation Board

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: SMALL WATER IRRIGATION BOARD :hello:

What I write would be more tolerable if & only if the reader has reasonable exposure to fluent and chaste Tamil language.

It was the time when a new party elected to form govt in the state who were staunch followers of anything and everything in Tamil.

They went wild to reflect for their penchant fanaticism for tamil by rewriting or renaming all government related name boards, street and station names , name of offices’ boards, bus route name boards etc.

A ministry was in vogue to look after the small water irrigation and it was named in English ad SMALL WATER IRRIGATION BOARD.

The new minister with his penchant for tamil translated into Tamil and the new semi circular large name board written in bright white paint in azure back drop installed at the entrance the office premises that lead to their ministry in the secretariat.

Bystanders and visitors were in awe laughing and discussing gazing at the text in arch-board.

I too from a distance saw the milling crowd having laughter at the entrance. When curiosity got better of me, I went in closer proximity - read the new name board that was erected over the tall pillars above the entrance .

After reading it in one glance, I too joined the gathering in their great guffaw.

When I attempted to narrate this to others at home, My thought process heavily disrupted that I could hardly form and complete a sentence as intermittent laugh begin to raise deep from my rib-cage that produced heavy tears blurring my vision and almost caused a catch in ribs.

In the freshly painted name board - it was written in Tamil - in bold white paint in azure blue background:

சிறுநீர் பாசன குழு

that is transliterated as Siruneerpasana kuzhu

Siruneer in chaste tamil means URINE.

PASANA means irrigation.

KUZHU means board of members.

Adharv, GeetaKashyap and Anusha2917 like this.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

3. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

:roflmao::lol: very funny one sir. Thevai thana indha translation :facepalm:
    Hope they correct it :sunglasses:

Thank you!!

Cheeniya likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

"Siriya Neeraga Pasana Kuzhu" would have been appropriate. The point well taken. Laughing is warranted.

5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Siriya neeragam also may sometimes be mistaken as kidney.
    A space between siru and the next word might have solved the problem to some extent.
    There are so many abaddhamaana translations. If you go through any State Government circular you may find so many funny
    wording.I don't feel like laughing,I really feel very sad at the obsession they have under the guise of love for Tamil.In Hindi they easily use English or Sanskrit words which are used by common man and they don't hesitate writing English words as such in Devanagari lipi,That is better in a way.
    The following are commonly used by Singapore Tamilians.
    Coffee - குளம்பி or kottai vadi neer

Tea - தேநீர்

Ice cream- பனிக் கூழ்

Potato Chips - உருளைச் சீவல்

Chacolate - காவிக் கண்டு

Microwave oven - நுண்ணலை அடுப்பு

Airconditioner - காற்பதனி
    There is no wonder if things are translated as under by Tamil chauvinists
    ராகுல் : Please Take Your Seat
    தங்கபாலு: போகும் பொழுதுநாற்காலியினை எடுத்து கொண்டுசெல்லவும்

Rahul: I love stella maris

தங்கப்பன் : நான் ஸ்டெல்லாவையும் மேரியையும் காதலிக்கிறேன்

Rahul: Karunanidhi's Heart was like Pure Silk

தங்கபாலு : கருணாநிதி மனதில் சிலுக்கு சுமிதா

RG : I want to become a PM.

Thanga Balu : நான் சாயங்காலமாக விரும்புகிறேன் ...

ராகுல்: I will change country

தங்கபாலு: நாட்டை சில்றை ஆக்குவேன்

Rahul Gandhi spoke well. But the translation was poor.

ராகுல்காந்தி கிணறுடன் பேசினார். ஆனால் மொழிபெயர்ப்பு ஏழையாக இருந்தது.
    We can only feel sad.What else can be done?
    Jayasala 42

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.