Siris Food Experiments :)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by spuppala, Feb 20, 2012.

1. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

METHI SAMOSA/SAMOSAS STUFFED WITH POTATOES AND PEAS
    I still remember my childhood days where my brother used to bug my mom to buy him samosas on our way to our home town in trains...My mom used to convince him saying that they 'll be so unhealthy as they use cheap oils to fry them ..She used to prepare them at home by using some moulds bought in city exhibition:) Now after so many years I tried them on my own :)Now goes the recipe for samosa stuffed with hot potato peas masala..
    [​IMG]
    What you Need:
    For Dough:
    1 cup White flour
    1 tbsp Ajwain
    4 tbsp-Kasuri Methi
    Salt- a pinch
    1 tbsp - Oil

For Filling:

1/4 kg Potatoes cooked and mashed
    1 cup Green Peas softened and cooked
    1/2 tbsp- Ginger garlic paste
    1 tbsp - Corinader Powder
    1 tbsp - Red chilli powder
    1 tbsp - Garam Masala powder
    3 tbsp-Coriander/Cilantro
    1 tbsp - Amchur powder
    a pinch -Turmeric
    a pinch - salt
    1 tbsp Lemon juice
    Oil- for deep frying

How I Made:

Mix ajwin,kasuri methi,salt and water with flour and add a 1 tbsp of oil over it.Form a smooth dough and rest it aside.
    In a pan add a 2 tbsp of oil and crackle cumin seeds.
    Add onions and ginger garlic paste and sauté till they are transparent.
    Add in all spice powders and fry for a few seconds.Now throw in peas and fry them for 5 min.
    Add the mashed potatoes and cook till the curry is done.Adjust salt and chilli powder according to your taste.
    Now divide the dough into equal sized balls.
    Take one ball and press it .Roll into a tortilla shape and cut into two halves.
    Take some filling and put on it.Take the right edge of the circle and fold it to your right and do the same with left side.Seal all the edges carefully..
    Fry them in hot oil until they turn crisp and golden brown.
    Serve hot with tomato ketchup and green chutney
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Siri......
    How was your week end dear...?
    Mine was fine...... I made the brinjal fry with corn.....on sunday......it made the lunch memorable...:)
    I like brinjal so much...and my DH likes corn so much.....and he doesn't like brinjals......this dish struck a compromise.....a tasty compromise indeed...:thumbsup...! Thanks dear..:)..!
    I added crushed pepper at the end.....
    The apple cake and methi samosa are fine too....I like the idea of adding kasuri methi to the dough.....shall give it a try......
    Your pics make it even more enticing....Keep posting more......:thumbsup

3. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi Bhargavi dear..

I will have to see who else can give first feedback for my cooking experiments here than you.. :)Thank you so much dear for the warm reply..

My weekend went very fine dear..visiting friends :) Hope you too had a nice and relaxing weekend...
    Ooh..that was a very interesting compromise :) Am glad that you didn't get disappointed by my dish:)Really..Oh yeah pepper obviously gives the dish a different taste..Will try this next time..

Refer this thread when you feel like preparing some snacks next time..Yeah kasuri methi was left over form a long time and I decided to finish off some content with this dish :) Ofcourse it adds flavour too:)
    Thank you very much for your encouraging wordings dear..Will keep posting :)

1 person likes this.
  4. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Hi Siri

Yummy dishes from will give a try one by one

5. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hey Latha,

Thanks a ton by dropping by..glad that you liked it and I shall wait for your feedback :)

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi siri,

I too made the brinjal masala.The dish was simply yummy. I love brinjal and peas :). Hee hee but I love almost all the vegetable.

I skipped corn...simply because I did not have it that time. And I did not want to wait to try this with the fresh brinjals that I had.
    Thanks for the recipe...and thanks for making me now drool with the samosa pics :biggrin2: . I know its not easy doing them at home.. making the dough, getting it right,having the masala ready before that. Have done it long back. I will try your version..but maybe after some days :).

bye

7. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hello Saraswathi...

Am very excited to see your reply :) Looks like you love brinjal a lot :) Next time try it out with sweet corn as well..It 'll be more yummy... Believe me:thumbsup

Samosas..Hey not that complicated..I made it in almost 1 hour :) I did not use any moulds to shape the samosas..did with my hand itself..I never knew that its so easy to make them ..

8. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

KASHMIRI DUM ALOO
    Alu Dum is also known as Aloo Dum Pukht, is a favoured Indian Curry recipe that you often get to see on many restaurant menus..My DH just loves potatoes and I try in all possible ways to cook them ..So here you go the recipe for dum aloo which is served in restaurants..It goes very well with naans..and rotis..Let me now how you like it..
    [​IMG]
    What you need:
    • Baby potatoes - 1/2 kg
    • Big Onions sliced -2
    • Shajeera(Black Cumin seeds)-1tbsp
    • Garam Masal Whole spices -1 1/2 tbsp
    • Tomatoes chopped -2
    • Coriander powder - 2tbsp
    • Red Chilli powder-2 tbsp
    • Salt to taste
    • Oil - 4 tbsp
    • Thick curd - 1tbp (Optional)
    How I made:
    • Boil the potatoes in cooker till 1or 2 whistles.Take out the skin and shallow fry them in 1 tbsp of oil and keep them aside.(If you wish you can deep fry them alternatively)
    • Take a pan and heat 1 tbsp of oil,Add the whole spices,black cumin and fry for a minute.
    • Add onion slices and fry till golder brown.
    • Now take the onion mixture into a jar ,add in chopped tomatoes,coriander powder and blend into a smooth paste.
    • Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add in the onion tomato paste.Fry it till the oil separates from the paste..
    • Add red chilli powder.Add 1-2 tbsp of water if required and add the curd. Cook it covered for 10 min.
    • Add the potatoes and cook it covered for 15-20 mins on meium or low flame.
    • Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and a spoon full of melted butter.
    • Serve hot with any flavoured rice or roti or naan.We enjoyed it with home made butter naan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  9. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Wow Sirish..yummy recipes, tempting pics... :)
    gonna try the brinjal recipe ;)
    Thanks for the recipes and looking fwd for more..

10. alagarsamy

alagarsamy Bronze IL'ite

looks so yummy..i have heard of this recipe..but havent tried...will try it this week and will let u know..

very very good pic......ur family members are so lucky to have you. ..:)

1 person likes this.