Shravan Month Significance!

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by ManuSethi, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ManuSethi

ManuSethi Senior IL'ite

Hi There,

I have been thinking a lot about it and still don’t know why ‘Shravan’ month is the most sacred month for the Hindus?
    How is it related to Lord Shiva? I have seen many of my friends keeping fasts on Mondays and eating no non-veg throughout this month…Is there any particular significance of this month be it religion wise or otherwise!
    Also I have seen people buying a lot of Rudraksha stone and wearing them! They even say that Monday fasts of this month are equivalent to 16 Monday fasts of the year…is it true?
    Looking forward for your inputs
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2016

2. RiddhimaT

RiddhimaT Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

shravanmonth.jpg

The month Shravana is very significant to the Shiva devotees due to the legend associated with this month. The story goes like: To please the goddess of wealth Mahalakshmi, the Gods and demon decided to churn the ocean. It was pre decided that whatever things that will be taken out from the ocean would be shared between the Gods and demons. During this process, 14 divine items emerged from the ocean. Of these fourteen items, one was the most deadly poison called Halahal.

Nobody took that poison and that created panic among Gods and demons. At this crunch time Lord Shiva appeared to save the earth from destruction. He accepted the pot of poison and drank it in such a manner that the poison was not able to surpass his throat. The effect of the poison was so strong that his whole throat turned blue. It’s because of this, lord Shiva is also named as NeelKanth(meaning blue throat) . To mitigate the effect of poison, gods rushed to offer Ganga jal (water of holy river, Ganga).

This whole event took place in the month of Shravana. Since then this month of Shravana is totally dedicated to lord Shiva. Though the whole Shravana month is auspicious for worshipping Lord Shiva, but the Mondays falling in this month have special significance as the ruling deity of Monday is Lord Shiva. The golden rule is that Jap (recitation of Shiva mantra) done in particular place or in particular time has special significance as its effects increases many times.

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2016
    type2, snehashree, kcb and 4 others like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That is a very interesting story Ridhima. It is certainly nice to know the reason why certain practices are followed. It would also be interesting to know if there is any rationale to this practice (apart from the religious reasons).

For ex. there is a practice in Maharashtra where they have "kande navmi" (the navmi before the beginning of the Shravan maas) when all dishes are prepared using onions. The reason I was told is that consumption of onions in the period following that causes gastric problems such as flatulence. So eating onions or garlic is avoided for the four months of "Chaturmas" - the season when onions tend to rot. That is why they make all dishes containing onion before that period, to make up in advance for what they would be missing.

I don't know how far this is true or otherwise. But one thing is for certain. There must certainly be some reason which we do not know. Nothing gets done for no reason. Giving it a religious connotation results in more people following these practices. But then there are some like me who would prefer to know the real reason and do wonder whether the "scientific" reasons given are real or not.

Aaa99, snehashree, Poetlatha and 3 others like this.
  4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Riddhima new and interesting information given by you.We fast on Sundays in Shravan month.LIKE Pongal celebration we make Pongal keeping stoves in the front courtyard and they say this pongal is for Aditya the Sun God.other sundays we skip breakfast and have Lunch and dinner.This is called fasting in my native place.then come Krishna jayanthi as Lord Krishna was born on Shravan month in Ashtami thithi and HIS birth star Rohini .one more celebration Nagar poojai is done on all sundays.

5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Riddhima for sharing interesting information. Fridays & Mahalakshmi pooja is important for us in Shravan.

I feel every day, all months are auspicious to pray to God. He accepts our heartful prayers irrespective of month or day :)

6. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

In North India....we fast on Mondays in Sravan month...pour water..milk on Shiv Ling...offer bael leaves...
    Naag panchami which comes on Sravan shukla panchami tithi is also celebrated...

snehashree likes this.
  7. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

In shravan month every day is a festival.
    In ancient days. Markandeya. Who defeated his death by praying lord shiva, n yanraj.

Monday--- lord Shiva
    Tuesday--- parvathi devi, hanuman
    Wednesdays-- lord Vishnu , rama
    Thursday-- guru. Said baba
    Friday- thulasi n goddess Lakshmi
    Saturday-- shani. , venkateswara, hanuman
    Sunday-- adhithya, surya bhagavan