1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shouldn't My Wishes Count

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Gandharva, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Gandharva

Gandharva New IL'ite

Hi Ilites

This is my first post here. To give a brief overview about myself, I am married for 12 years and I have a daughter. I am living with my in laws ever since my marriage. I am the one taking care of the entire family pretty much from my marriage time itself as my MIL hardly cooks or does any work. My FIL is quite active but my MIL was sick ever since I remember and she passed away few months ago.

I didn't go to work in order to fulfil my duties of being a good DIL and mom. My husband is a good kind person, but a little reserved and in his own world ( probably like most husbands.). My Inlaws are also good people basically, but all the things ( household work) has to be done perfectly. I am usually very organised, hence they never had any reason to complain about anything as everything was served on a platter.

Now my point of writing is that I feel sometimes that my life is dedicated to just pleasing the people around me. Whenever Me and my husband has to plan some holiday even if it is for a week, I have to think and prepare thousand times before presenting it to my in-laws, and even after making all the arrangements for their food, they were never completely happy about our holidays.

Now the situation is worse as my husband feels that we can't go anywhere leaving behind his father alone. I am also not in favour of leaving him alone, but just for a week he could be with his daughter and my husband feels that it might hurt his feelings if we ask him to go and stay with daughter ( to note that he goes and visits his daughter often and stays with them for couple of days every now and then)

I just feel that no one wants to acknowledge that I have desires and wishes too and shouldn't I be allowed to take a week off in an year when the other 360 days I am always there to serve everyone in the family with a smile. To note here that my husband travels for work purposes and I am the one who looks after everyone in his absence.

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

Yes. Your wishes are very important. Make them known dear. And calmly & gentlymajke it happen. Visit your parents over a weekend, let your DH look after. When DH is out of town, request your SIL to be with her dad & go overnight somewhere. Parents, emergency etc.
    Speak up or they will continue taking you for granted.
    Your strength is that you have done a lot for 12 years. If they object, Tell them you are also human. Get your FiL also on your side.
    All the best.

3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Yes u definitely need a break and your sil also has some responsibility towards her father..she can stay ovwe during weekend with ur fil or invite him to her place for some days.
    You will defintely feel resentment if you alone have to make sacrifices always. An occasional break will make you feel refreshed.