1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

should I use salt and suger in 6 months old baby food

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by nidhi99, Jun 22, 2009.

1. nidhi99

nidhi99 New IL'ite

Hey friends,

As my elder one suggests me to give her daal pani, chawal pani and gheeya pani....I had a question should I put salt, turmeric, saunf (pisi hui) in her food...or I should avoid any spices, salt and sugar till one year old..

Some of my friends suggested that if we do not put anything...baby eats everything..otherwise she will have likes and dislikes....Is spices good for baby? like saunf and turmeric..

Thanks,
    Nidhi

2. anaamika

anaamika Senior IL'ite

HI Nidhi

There is no harm in adding salt and sugar in your baby's food, at this age. But it is better not to add too much sugar, as the baby will get used to it, and may not eat less sugary or other food. Some dieticians recommend to introduce more of veggies, and less sugary fruits, before you start with the 'too sugary' fruits.
    Adding table/raw salt, or sugar to the food is fine, but avoid giving any sugar coated or salty ready made food stuff.
    A little spice is also fine. Introduction of anything new, should be done slowly, in quantity and quality( varieties).
    Cheers !

3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nidhi,

What anaamika says is true.... there is actually no need to add sugar or salt to the baby's food.... u can add in may be a pinch or so if u desire. i started giving my daughters milk without sugar from the start and they r fine with it..... i don't hv to sweeten any of their drinks now.. fruit juice, horlicks, boost etc.....

take it slow with the other spices also.... it is alright to add in spices but add in one at a time and test it out for at least 4-5 days to see if your baby tolarates it well.... this also goes for any new food that u try..... all the best...