1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Stay Or Should I Go...

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by BhumiBabe, Apr 17, 2017.

If you live in the US, do you have plans to move 'back' to India?

1. Yes, definitely

45.0%
  2. No, the US is my home

40.0%
  3. Maybe, It's in God's hands

15.0%
  1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I see it a lot with South Indian men. My husband requires that I serve him, despite both of us working.

2. BhumiBabe

Ok, I'm sure some men don't prefer it, but it's the norm of the older generation. Whenever I go to India, i'm expected to serve my husband and the other men. and its encouraged there. In the US, children aren't raised with that standard so it was a big culture shock to me.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

What would happen if you keep everything in the table and ask him to selfserve

4. BhumiBabe

A hissy fit and a night of nagging

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

The US of A us home sweet home for me. I came here on a fellowship as a visiting PhD student and found my way to the academic ivory tower. Because I was away from my family, I could make my own decisions. Buying a car (just walking in the dealership and buying without any bargain...oh naive me) to buying my first home, marrying an American, planning my wedding..... I have learned so much in this country. I really grew mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. I no longer need people to make me happy...I am happy (if course my lovely children are there to make me happier). America, true to its name, provided me every opportunity to be successful, to be ME.
    I can talk to my family and friends whenever I want, I am there for them emotionally when they need me or I need them. I grew up an atheist house so don't care for temple/ religious festivals. Always celebrated all different festivals and still do.
    I might be a minority but hey very grateful for all that USA has provided me (including my wonderful husband).

blindpup10 and viki123 like this.
  6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Too much

7. Ragavisang

Ragavisang Gold IL'ite

Thanks BhumiBabe for your tthread. Finally I 'm hearing it from the 2nd gen. I'm sick and tired of hearing ..." I want to go back to India, but I don't know when that's going to happen.." Go or Stay but live peacefully wherever you are.

Sunshine04 and BhumiBabe like this.
  8. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

If I were you I would repeatedly put food on table for self serve till ur husband tires of throwing fits and nagging . Persistence pays. But seriously this is too much. I am South Indian married to one and I can tell you this is not the norm these days atleast in the current generation.

9. BhumiBabe

I'm trying to choose my battles. At least for now, I've been able to stay firm about not making him filter coffee during the weekdays, which is a big win for me (I don't drink coffee).