1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping bags using fabric

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by sindhumanoj, Jan 28, 2012.

1. sindhumanoj

sindhumanoj Senior IL'ite

Dear all,
    I would like to make a few shopping bags with used fabric(used uniform, trousers?)I want to stop using plastic covers.

Can you post the method of doing so step wise. If anyone has pictures pls post them too
    Thanks,
    Sindhu Manoj

2. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

I made one such bag with DS`s outgrown jeans. If you have old trousers cut off the leg portion and open the seams(i.e. where the edges of the leg portion meet) join the other part(s). Adjust the height according to your need. If the trousers are small you may require matching material of another trousers. Join the pieces sidewise and stitch the bottom portion(adjust the pieces so that the folded corner of the trousers lie in the open side of the bag so that you don`t need to fold it again near the handle portion. If you feel the joint portion are visible you can stitch contrast piping along the joints. Stitch handles and attach near the open portion. If you want jolna bag attach a long narrow strip along the sides and bring them to the top as a single handle. This is only a rough idea. Rest is left to your imagination. You can add frills with left over floral print pieces etc., Remember to put double stitch so that the bags are durable.

3. sewnembcrazy

sewnembcrazy Silver IL'ite

%E8%87%AA%E7%84%B6%E9%A2%A8%E5%B8%83%E8%A3%BD%E5%B0%8F%E7%89.jpg %E8%87%AA%E7%84%B6%E9%A2%A8%E5%B8%83%E8%A3%BD%E5%B0%8F%E (1).jpg these are a dew i have hope it will be helpful if not satisfied i can ask for more

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. gopica

gopica New IL'ite

pls i cannot understand. the language is different. pls any one help me to understand or translate in english.