Shipping new furnitures to india

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by gavandana, Apr 9, 2012.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We were not happy with the packer packing our items, all they did was without dis-assembling anything they just bubble wrapped.
    The Dining chairs and all were bubble wrapped.

for eg. I had one laundry basket lying out, i just dumped few clothes in that and went out to take care of something else, by the time i came back saw it was just bubble wrapped without folding the clothes or arranging the things inside properly.

3-6 guys comes at a time and they would start packing, you wouldn't know what is in which box and you can't take good inventory.
    I feel, its better do some base work study before packing.
    We asked packers only to pack big items like furnitures... everything else was packed by us.
    Everyday spent 2-4 hrs in the evening to pack and take an inventory

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Kittubaba,
    We used United movers (van lines) for both our international moves (but not to India). They packed everything for us (they won't insure otherwise). They did a great job-brought wardrobe boxes for clothes, labeled everything from room to room and our boxes arrived safely and on time. They give you an itemized list which you have to sign off for insurance purposes. It was all very organized and tidy. I don't know how they compare with other movers to India.
    They do give a free appraisal. Something to think about:)

3. kittubaba

kittubaba New IL'ite

@Puni88 Thanks for Info I will PM you about more details.
    Has your stuff arrived in India yet?
    @teacher Yes United van lines would be ideal but I dont think they ship to India(they might have another thirdparty for that). I have had couple of good experiences with Mayflower within the US and one very nerve wracking one with National Moving Network. I discovered much later that they are a web only operation. They just take orders and then they have thousands of small contractors who bid on the job even as you are talking to them on the phone!! Our stuff went through 3 vendors and was stored in three warehouses around the country and finally reached in 6 weeks instead of 3-4 days. So I want to ensure nothing like that happens this time on an International move!!

4. slevapaul

slevapaul New IL'ite

Furniture gives the great look to the home. Adding the furniture increases the beauty of the home. There are many ways of decorating the home and furniture is the best way used to decorate the home. There are many furniture movers available to move the furniture safely and without any damage.

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Friends
    I am back with some information. I know I am late here as my goods were sent by end of
    april but arrived by mid june.
    As I had already written that I never had furniture but all the other items.
    1. In Egypt they don't do insurance of the goods shipped, which we were a bit worried. But had no option we had to go for it.
    2. All the things were perfectly packed, as had to teach them how to pack glass items becoz they were using lots of paper and bubble wrap and boxes were getting increased. But they were happy to learn something new and did it accordingly.
    3 Household items, gift items, clothes are not taxed even the cooking range that I brought it from Egypt was not charged. But they charge on electronic item. It doesn't matter how old it is but is taxed on depreciated value.
    As I had home theatre, DVD player, printer etc all these were taxed. For all the electronic items we paid around less than Rs. 3000/-

All my items have reached me perfectly without any damage. We couldn't take the delivery of the items immediately becoz my house was not yet done. So in the customs office itself we kept our goods on rent. They will charge you around Rs. 20000 per month. We had to do it as we had no other option. But everything was safe, and we got all our goods in 1 piece.

6. andrew9

andrew9 New IL'ite

Ship new Ikea in India is one of the best. If you return India you welcome for back in India.